Frame hitching/jumping...any solutions?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Yuki10, May 6, 2014.

1. Yuki10

Game is unplayable for me right now due to Hitch/jumping of frames. Starts right away, not after 20 minutes and seems to be much worse when landing or near landing aircraft (particle effects at max). Restarting game doesn't help - must restart computer and sometimes it gives me a few minutes of play, sometimes starts right away.

Running:
    Intel i7 4770
    16GB RAM
    Intel 6Gbps SSD
    Sapphire 7950 3GB GPU

I'm not seeing anyone else complaining about this...Am i the only one seeing this?
    • Up x 1
  2. QRLegion

Well it's not unplayable for me but certainly not very acceptable. My FPS stays bang on 60 all the time but it feels like I'm running about 15 and it hitches for a second or so randomly. This usually starts when any aircraft move within range and usually goes away again about 10 seconds after they have gone.
  3. Bush82

3rd person view in a smoking reaver does this to me. between 50-60 fps all other times but 3rd person in a reaver brings it down to below 20fps. deploying a prowler in 1st person view does the same.
  4. Stormgeist1

Same as OP. Running 60 fps but hitching every 10 to 30 seconds or so. Started with the 64bit mandatory patch some weeks back.

I've personally moved on to other games since then. Because its simply not enjoyable to play like this, breaks immersion and occasionally ruins a combat situation (aiming, flying etc). Keeping an eye on the forums for any changes to this situation since the game is pretty fun when it does run smoothly.

i7 4770
    8gb ram
    r9 270 2gb
    msi gamer mb
  5. Smagjus

@OP
    What you are describing is perfectly normal. While some might disagree with me, I say that there is no current hardware, that is capable of running Ultra settings while maintaining stable 60 FPS. In order to help with your problem, you should try reducing particle effects in the options menu to a minimum.
  6. Yuki10

Smagjus - no, this is not normal. I've been running this game just fine for a long time on Ultra, this has been going on just recently after the latest set of patches and 64bit client. I will not get 60fps in large battles, but at least 35-40 stable. And even now - i can run at decent frame rate, but the movement (infantry, aircraft, etc) is very jumpy.
  7. IPanteraI

My rig
    intel i5 3450
    8gb ram
    GPU AMD 7850
    Windows 7 64bit

Hitching started around the ESF update. Lately its not as bad but still there & annoying as hell. Most of my settings are on low or off textures on high & graphics quality on medium. The 1st performance update was awesome I was getting a smooth 60 fps all the time even in big fights with lots of stuff going on but now it fps dips into the low 30's in big fights.

SOE can we go back to PU01 please ?
  8. Smagjus

What I meant is that pratically everyone is having those problems.
  9. nist

Basically this. Seems worse in the larger fights. It may/may not be related to air craft. I get the feeling it's related to explosions, and even firing at an enemy.

I tried playing on lowest settings. I noticed memory usage goes upto 2.3GB using lowest settings on the 64 bit client which seems a little high.

There have also been no client executable updates for a long time now. If anything is improved on the test server it really should be pushed to live.

CPU usage suddenly seems quite high for no reason as well. Frame rate reductions showing the game is CPU bound.

The very severe constant hitching started reasonably recently, after the 64 bit client was updated.
  10. Galdor

This is a new issue for sure. After the last couple patches things have been very jumpy even when FPS read high, although the FPS have been rocketing down for me sometimes also. A very similar thing happened quite some time back when they screwed up the game for SLI (dual geforce video card setup). Are you all using SLI? If you are, you can try turning your SLI off, which costs you FPS obviously but may give much better play anyway until they fix it.
  11. Yuki10

No SLI - single card.
  12. Vioxtar

I know what you're talking about OP, had it too. I rolled back my Nvidia driver to an October 2013 one, and the game runs near PU01 performance. It's great.

However something that still bothers me is that playing with maxed on 60 FPS is unlike playing with lowered settings on 60 FPS (note, the FPS is the same). On maxed settings, there is much more input lag, and the only way to really notice is it by trying to play on lowered settings (say no shadow, and 50% render quality).
  13. Yuki10

I'm on AMD/Radeon card, so NVidia driver roll back wont affect my performance.
  14. AMW1011

I'm experiencing the samething. Everything on low, ultra textures, and medium graphics. I get a good 50-120 FPS. Not only does it hitch as though I'm dropping every 1/10 frames, but I also get horrendous input lag. If I turn on smoothing all it does is hitch a little less and the input lag gets even worse.

It is beyond unplayable.
  15. iccle

16. Mikromancer

I get something similar, though only when I'm being shot at.

i7 2600
    geforce gt520
    4gb ram
    win7 64 bit

I've noticed a correlation between the 64 bit client and the hitching, when i forced the 32 bit client i only got the old gfx drivers crash on map load. the hitching is incredible on my system, I play at the lowest possible settings anyways. now no matter what, if someone is shooting at/near me (regardless of enemy or friendly) the framerate locks up untill either I'm dead or they've stopped shooting for whatever reason. it isnt worse in large fights for me, or at close or long ranges, or any different between infantry, vehicles, or aircraft. it seems to be completely indisciminate and only wants me dead xD .

and after all the crap with briggs, I'm not going to be able to enjoy my membership compensation even. hopefully they can get this sorted shortly.
  17. user101

Your are seeing a DoS from your router... its not your PC... I had the same problem - go into your router and turn off your DoS. The other guys in this thread may have the same problem also.
  18. Mikromancer

this sounds like a very bad idea, doubly so as my problem is a FRAMERATE problem, not a NETWORK problem.

yup, just tested it, it's in no way connected to the DoS or the Firewall.
  19. Utrooperx

I used the suggestions found at https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...t-client-known-problems-and-solutions.184432/ to get my X-fire up and running...there's a section on single and SLI Nvidia GPU's as well as single AMD GPU's...specifically in Radeon Pro I set the "pre-render" to a value of 1 as a good compromise between stutter and input lag.

Try playing around with those settings...the more frames your card "pre-renders", the "smoother" game play will appear...but you may suffer increased input delay...

I also went in to my Network Connections Properties and unchecked QoS packet scheduling, then tweaked a few other settings I found at: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/bugs-lag-or-hackers.173512/page-2#post-2654044

Give it a try...might help :)
  20. Mastachief

The hitching has been happening since the ESF update, it affects the majority of the playerbase from severe constant hitch to maybe 1/2 every 20minutes. It's not acceptable and its a poor show that it has not been resolved yet. I get it every 10-15minutes often while flying and sometimes it gets me killed (by tree / infil / other player). RAGE

I can only assume by the radio silence in the thread higby started a couple of months ago that SOE have no clue on a fix or are simply burying their collective heads in the sand about it.

Lets not even go near the fact that nvidia card users have been able to update their drivers since the beginning of the year because planetside2 crashes them.