Put the HA shield nerf in already

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Paperlamp, May 1, 2014.

1. Pathogenic

You basically reiterated my point. It's not completely crippling to a positional advantage and first blow between (what should be) the two most combat-oriented classes in a "1v1". It comes down to the accuracy of both, the positioning of the LA, and the reaction time/target acquisition capability of the HA in those cases. So, working as intended, IMO.

I'd rather nerf reviving's speed and effectiveness in its various forms than the HA shield. *That* makes me feel more ineffective than any shield ever could, and an ASC/RS HA with medic support is far scarier to me than any NW/NMG or NW/AS Heavy (more relevant, imo, since this game isn't exactly 1v1). I do wish there was a bit more visual indication of which is being used. You can figure out which cloak or jetpack or turret other classes have loaded, but nothing going on there that I've noticed.

If they *really* want to add some sort of ramp up to the shields, though, it needs to be like... the shield has around the same duration and recharge as the RS, but it adds straight to your shield value instead of being an overlay. The NMG would cause a constant shield regeneration about double that of the normal charge rate while active, and the AS would recharge large amounts on kills. A bit more durability, sustain, and less one-trick-pony-then-you-have-no-ability-forever, but the cost is ramp up time using a mechanic we all are familiar with and the ability to minimize the regen a bit by knocking the regular shield recharge off.

Not saying I want a ramp up, but they seem settled on it.
  2. Goretzu

They can't nerf the NMG and Ad shield until they can work out how to change them to be as effective as the Resist shield with only proactive use.

Well they can, but then literally no one will use them because the Resist shield will be massively better than either.
  3. MKEYCKOR

OP sits in a max suit his entire life. Mad at HA. LOL
    • Up x 3
  4. Hiding in VR

You have a KDR of 13+ which is impressive but makes me wonder if you even play the infantry game. Then I look at your weapons and see half your kills are as a MAX. Colour me surprised :rolleyes:
    • Up x 7
  5. Hibiki54

L2P. Seriously.
    • Up x 3
  6. NowBreathingManually

Eh? Is there a trick or cheat I'm missing?
    You can't upgrade the shield's capacity and it does down in under a second from anyone that headshots,
    which doesn't make sense to begin with because it blocks even fall damage.
    It's illogical if anything.

I suggest lowering the duration, increasing capacity and blocking headshots.
    If you're running in a heavy's face as a different class you shouldn't expect to survive.
    This way, some brain application like taking cover and taunting into shield waste becomes more viable than buttonmashing.
  7. Paperlamp

MAXes are overpowered for the same reason HAs are. I just play the even more durable brick wall of HP.
  8. RandomGrin

Are you people not paying attention here?

Axehilt in the second post showed that HA has the WORST K/D ratio.

Therefore, talk about how we are going to buff HA or be quiet, the world does not need to hear your craziness.

I think Max is OK to have high ratio....that's why you have to pay for it! It's SUPPOSED to be the best.

Anyway, unless you can argue with Axehilts numbers in a logical way...I'd say the types are pretty dang balanced, but if you are dying to nerf something, HA is the last one on the list.

Literally.
    • Up x 3
  9. Elkybam

Most likely because the "fresh meat" are so overwhelmed by the overshield capability and the starter LMGs when they begin the game. Afterwards, there will be a lot of disappointment from them once they find out that Rambo style is not (always) the best playstyle to get good kills.
  10. HerpTheDerp

It's funny because right now the NMG is an "I-Win" button, but once the nerf is implemented it will be almost useless. Good luck "assaulting" a room at half the normal speed, with 3/4 of your shield(because by the time you get inside, 1/4 of it already expired). And of course not-ADSing, because ADS-shield makes you pretty much completely stationary and you're not getting anywhere.
  11. Chris Bingley

Guys, leave the Heavy Assault alone. They are supposed to be the best in a stand up fight. The same as Light Assaults are supposed to use speed, terrain and positioning to get kills. The same way an infiltrator is supposed to use stealth and/or range to get a kill. If you want a Heavy shields to be nerfed then give us back headshot protection on Nanoweave, or prevent LAs from firing when they're flying.

Or, you could just play a Heavy Assault yourself. The whole reason that you are able to switch between classes whenever you want is so that you can play the right class for the situation. The classes are balanced, each has a role to play in a fight.
    • Up x 2
  12. KnightCole

Id love to see the Headshot thing changed and only applied to Sniper Rifles.
  13. Mxiter

I would be ok to remove HA shield if they had access to 143/800-845rpm weaponry but they didn't.

And for class versatility, it's more interesting to have less damaging more tanky class as opposite as....every others classes.
    • Up x 1
  14. Chazt

*They already walk slower with their shields up.

*So you saying we should take away the heavy assaults ability to do his job? Choose between his primary weapon and his only tool? Alright here is some proposed changes to go along with that

-LA has to choose between having a gun or c4
    -Inftrators have to choose between being able to use recon darts or bringing a gun
    -Engineers have to choose whether they want to bring a turret, an ammo box or a repair tool
    -Medics have to choose whether they are allowed to bring a medical tool or a gun

There. That seems in line with what you want, can't have people go around having primary weapons and their support tools right? That would be overpowered?

Seriously though, you people are complaining about the heavy assault doing the one thing he is good at. Killing people, if you want to focus on killing people then you should be an infiltrator, light assault or a heavy assault. It is as simple as that, if you are an engineer you should be focused on repairing, ammo or setting up defenses, if you are a medic you focus should be reviving and healing. Heavies do well in one focus, they are better in a extended engagements and can take a few extra hits, they are also the only dedicated anti-vehicle class and if they weren't this would just be mbt/liberatorside2 (some would argue it already is). In a one on one engagement against a heavy assault, you should either flank him, aim better than him or get the jump on him but planetside isn't about one on one engagements. It is about huge battles with tons of people and in those situations heavies die just as fast as anybody else when they stick their head out and get blasted by six different people or a tank. In the grand scheme of things an ability that allows you to better survive a one versus one engagement before going on a long cooldown is nothing.
    • Up x 2
  15. ColonelChingles

This would be a general speed reduction, due to their heavier weapons. If they're limited to either rockets or LMGs then they should move at normal speeds, but if they're carrying both then they must move much more slowly than lighter infantry.

Nope. The point is that the Heavy Assault gets two heavy weapons at the same time, in addition to medkits, C4, and the shield. That's just too much power in a single unit. All the examples you listed (recon darts, revive tools, repair tools, etc) are relatively lighter items. Additionally none of those units carry "heavy" weapons, and many of them are even just equipped with light carbines or SMGs. That's why it's totally fine for a LA to have C4 and a light carbine... they simply don't weigh that much. A LMG and a rocket launcher on the other hand are both heavy weapons, so it doesn't make much sense that a single unit has access to both.

For example, in the Battlefield series they've always split up rockets and LMGs. Engineers get repair tools and rockets, while Supports get LMGs and ammunition. It simply makes a lot more sense, instead of having one "kill everything" class.

I'm perfectly fine with the HA being good at killing infantry or vehicles... simply not at the same time. HA's would still be great against infantry or against vehicles... it's just that they would have to put some thought into it.

Most other classes have to make this sacrifice. The Infiltrator is effective against infantry, but helpless against vehicles. The LA is good against vehicles, but their puny carbines can be outmatched by a variety of firearms. The Medic is effective against infantry, but apart from suicidal C4 is helpless against vehicles. And the Engineer can pick an AI or an AV turret... but not both at the same time.

Heck, even tanks have to make that choice, to pull a HE or an AP cannon to maximize effectiveness against infantry or vehicles. Or the Skyguard, which is really only good at one thing (and even then not very good in the first place).

HAs on the other hand can deal equally well with infantry, armor, or air. There's no thinking required that is necessary for every other class. That's what's wrong with the HA as it stands, and why it needs to specialize just like everyone else.
  16. Donaldson Jones

More nerfs are a bad idea. This game is becoming so vanilla it's truly sad.
  17. Chazt

I am just going to go ahead and quote myself from another similar thread here to break this down quicker.

Heavies do not have an over abundance of power for a single unit. They have an additional weapon meant for dealing with different threats. If heavies, being the most played class are such a huge threat, then why do vehicle zergs succeed? Why can people get away with scythe zergs and vanguard pushes if this one infantry class apparently packs all of the power needed to strike down zeus himself? Because they do not provide much. Simple as that, they have one bonus weapon as a trade off for ally support and their only means of helping their team is by killing things. Whether it is people or vehicles their job is get the pressure off of their team by taking out major threats and they cannot do anything else. For all the upsides people say there are about the heavy there is an abundance of downsides to balance it out, and one on one capabilities do not make a class overpowered.

You are also somehow trying to balance the power of a unit with your idea of "weight" of an item. Why does that even remotely make sense? This class should lose half of it's overall power because you think he is carrying too much? Meanwhile other classes can still use extra items because their equipment is 'lighter'? You are talk about a videogame, in a futuristic universe where everything is constructed of nanites, where you are on an alien planet where everyone is mass cloned and given a personal shield generator and possess the ability to heal themselves from a fatal gunshot to the head, and weapons and vehicles construct themselves out of thin air at spawn points. I think realism is pretty much the last thing you should be worrying about.
  18. Hiding in VR

They do, because the other infantry get access to speed increasing utils.

Besides, justifying a nerf based upon supposed weight is daft. My engineer can drop a tripod down because of "nanites" so I am not inclined by the argument, plus there's the low ammo thing as well.

If there is to be a nerf or Heavies its should be because they are over performing and I have yet to see any evidence that they are, just a load of vehicle and max pilots complaining there are too many rockets in the game :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  19. Anndgrim

The overshield doesn't actually allow you to win against enemies of equal skill that have the drop on you.

Hell, in this game at CQB, with lag compensation and the average reaction time, the HA should be dead before he even gets to toggle his shield on. If you get the drop on a HA and they beat you, you either missed a lot or they lined up perfect headshots or both.

Saying the LMGs are the best weapons in the game because they are performing well as if the class that was using them didn't matter is outright dumb.

You guys compare LMGs to other weapon classes in terms of kills per hour and the likes but here is the thing :
    • Assault Rifles are used by Medics : Medics heal and revive people (time consuming)
    • Carbines may be used by LAs, but they're also used by Engineers who spend quite some time repairing, or well you know, in tanks in which case they can go for hours without shooting their carbine a single time.
    • SMGs are carried by every class
    • Shotguns are carried by every class save for Infiltrator
    And even if that wasn't the case, at equal skill, Medics and Engies shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with an assault class. They're freaking support classes. If you're mad that your support class can't compete in direct combat with the direct combat classes, the game isn't the problem, you are.

So what's left to compare it to :
    The LA, a flanking class that can fly.
    The Infiltrator, a flanking class that uses stealth and can use various devices to detect it's opponents. By the mere fact that you're playing with stealth you're slowing down your gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  20. Mrasap

I have zero certs and hours spent on my HA and I approve of this.

Diversification is better than sheer nerfs/buffs.