Proposal: Increase Magburner to 5 seconds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TommyVercettiMiller, May 4, 2014.

1. Goodkat

The Magrider is fine. It is neither OP or UP.

Source: 120 hours in it. 2.6+ million score: https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618035666769/

Honesty: If the Magburner is buffed, it will probably be OP (leading to SOE-style sledge hammer nerfs that I would like to avoid).

The ONLY improvement I would like on the Mag would be to bump the velocity of the main cannon up to non-anchored prowler values.
  2. Ronin Oni

Strafing speed was nerfed because it was too easy to dodge...

Now it's basically impossible to dodge unless you psyche out the enemy.

Rival helps. Any Mag withour Rival is basically giving up the whole "Maneuverability" advantage.

Of course, it leaves you moving forward at the speed of pond scum while most Vanguards and Prowlers are driving 20KPH+ faster than you with Racer.

Anyways, yeah... 5 seconds would be way to much. It would be nice if it lasted longer or recharged faster though.

Right now we get what? 2 seconds of burn? 30 seconds to recharge at max rank? 3 and 20 might be nice.
  3. asmodraxus

Just delete the Mag, its a pos

Its fat, slow and not very agile, ok so it can go sideways, hint turn your prowler or vanguard while keeping the turret on target and press forwards...

Lowest DPS
    Same armour as the prowler (mid level between the Lightning and the Vanguard).
    Same speed as the Vanguard (slow).
    The main gun has the ironically the same muzzle velocity as the lightning and only slightly more damage, but loses out to the lightning's reloads speed.
    The Saron has been over nerfed against infantry, half a clip, now how many enforcer shots does it take?
    The special (magburn) brings nothing to the party other then making up for the shoddy acceleration., and is outclassed by stealth/auto-repair.

Here's a hint to SOE, look at the usage of the tank specials, which empire mainly use the common pool abilities.

I only use it (the slagrider) when a my harasser is on a timer (when I have a gunner), or when my lightning is on a timer (when I don't).
  4. Alarox

Magriders can dodge tank shells.
  5. Arkenbrien

Only on ranges past 150 meters at least.
  6. TriumphantJelly

Infinite time 70+ KPH Prowlers... Kinda makes it seem insignificant in my eyes.

I think 3 seconds would e nice, but 5 seconds would be OP.
    But f**k*ng hilarious.
  7. TriumphantJelly

Nope, at 150M (until about 200M, even) the enemy just need to aim at the COMm and they will hit. Strafe is literally just a psychological weapon: Unfortunately, psychological weapons are annoying (and will soon be nerfed).
  8. TriumphantJelly

Would it be OP to remove momentum from strafing, e.g. You strafe right then immediately go left instead?
    This could open up some cool art too, like the magriders sides venting plasma whenever it changes stafe direction.
    Either that or give the magrider less inertia and moree momentum (Even though if it stayed at the same speed, that would defy physics, but who cares because NANITES).
  9. SavageBacon

So I've easily had Magriders keep up with my Prowler, that extra speed really doesn't make a lot of difference. Also, the Saron is an AV weapon stop complaining about it's AI when you have the PPA which is fantastic for AI. The strafing is also great against infantry, more so than the extra armor or dps and the 2-3 second burst is very handy indeed.

Stop doomcrying the VS MBT. The biggest downside is when it's stock, but most of us are well passed that point.
  10. HellasVagabond

And it has the same top speed as the Vanguard when both certed....The difference is that it can reach that top speed in half the time.....But even if that wasn't the case and it was lets say 10kph slower 5s of magburner would give it at least 200-300m advantage.....By the time the Vanguard covered that area the Magrider would have gone another 200-250m away.....And if the terrain is not flat things will be even worse for the Vanguard....So unless this happens on flat terrain with no enemies for let's say 1000m i don't see how any of the other MBTs can reach the Magrider.
  11. lothbrook

A lot people actually forget the terrain part, VGs and Prowlers lose a lot of speed hitting all those bumps that the magrider glides over for the most part which actually makes it faster in many areas of the game despite being slower than the prowler.
  12. Arkenbrien

The hovering comes at a price, though, and that price is flipping. It's almost as bad as the Flash if you do anything that combines the Magburn and a bump. In a Harasser, you can shake bad take-off angle, but in a Mag, you are left hoping against hope that you'll land on your feet. Otherwise, it catches and rolls on it's back for an instant explosion.

I would be happy if the mag was more inclined to land on its feet. Give it the 'stay-uppiness' of the Sundy or Harasser, and that would greatly improve everybody's confidence with it.
  13. faykid

you're talking about 5s magburner as if it was real. i was talking about actual situation, current balance.
    for the time being, any stock vanguard will catch up with stock magrider due to better base speed. magburner will only help to increase the distance so much, the vanny will catch up before the magburner cooldown is over
    also, bear in mind that magrider can only shoot where its looking. so, if a chase happens, magrider will actually have to retreat backwards (you, normal tank users, don't know the absurdity we have to deal with) in order to still be able to shoot. the alternative is showing your back, unable to shoot the main gun, and magburning forward - which, as i said, won't take you far
  14. Elrobochanco

You didn't get a very good response to this, and my post was fairly sarcastic so in case you didn't know:

NS is Nanite Systems, which is the "faction" for all the common pool vehicles and items in the game. Including the galaxy, harasser, flash, liberator, sunderer, and all NS-# weapons.

Afterburner is a common attachment for the Flash and Harasser (well now built in), and slightly less common on the Liberator. But it doesn't make it any less lame that the Magriders super special Faction ability is one that all factions can get on other vehicles. It's not particularly unique or in many circumstances even useful unless at a very sweet spot range against very particular opponents. Buffing it as a longer boost might make it OP, but it needs some changes at the least.
  15. Copasetic

You're supposed to use it like infantry strafing: to make yourself unpredictable, not to actually dodge each shell as it's flying toward you. In that sense it works very well.
  16. TerminatorUK

One offensive use of the magburner is in close-range situations to make an unexpected manouver.

I've seen videos whereby a magrider has boasted right past an enemy tank at close range then used the rival chassis (higher turn rate) to quickly slam a couple of shots in the rear of a tank to win the fight.

Risky tactic but also pretty exicting to pull it off.

Echoing Copasetic's comment above, I'd agree the strafe can be more useful that actually dodging a shot and just moving unexpectedly can cause some of the rounds to just miss and / or be splash damage only.

Repositioning you tank to an elevated / better postion is also a lot easier; doing the same in a Prowler / Vanguard takes some time or a lot of crashing into things if you want to keep your bore on the enemy at the same time.