Why No Prone?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Urzuxo, May 4, 2014.

1. Kanil

Then why do the bases have beds? Are they relics from a bygone time?
  2. Pikachu

I thought they were some kind of couches.
    • Up x 1
  3. Llaf

Yes, no one lives long enough for sleep anymore.
    • Up x 4
  4. GaBeRock

Headcanon: all charachters have extra low upper body strength because they never have to lift anything heavier than a gun, and their suit does most of the work for them.
  5. GaBeRock

Sex, duh.:p Did you think nanites and eternal war stopped our most primal urges? Vanu female infiltrator and NC lingerie would like to have a word with you.
  6. Cowabunga

We are all waiting for the /dance and /sleep emotes - Upgrade now, go lay down.
  7. IamDH

Well maybe from up close but i seriously doubt you can hit the proned infiltrator thats far away. I admit, its risk vs reward but i still dont think many people will be able to hit proned people
  8. MasterFancyPants

Yes to prone, no to bipods.
    If they give us prone, make so the accuracy bonus is only equal to crouching.
  9. Copasetic

Prone isn't something that you can add to a game a year after release.
  10. Forkyar24

11. Kristan

Players not even using crouching. Unless it's a sniper.
    • Up x 1
  12. ironeddie

I've always been surprised prone wasn't built into the game from the start. You know how some things have become a standard in all fps games. I thought prone was heading that way. As much as anything to be more realistic. Though I suppose that raises the question of how much of a simulator do you want the game to be. And best will in the world ps2 ain't anywhere near being a shooter sim.

I would imagine to implement it now would require months of work and the putting on hold of everything else. So perhaps it should be accepted as not bring in this game. Start nagging to have it in ps3. Presumably h1z1 will give it's players prone ability...
  13. johnway

I'v never been a big fan of prone in FPS games. Namely because i never was particularly good at it and the extra button needed and i can't think of a button to bind it to. I use Left crtl for crouch and shift for run.

Crouch is fine if a bit restrictive when it comes to using cover. I just don't want to see more people doing drop shooting, dolphin diving farce of the old days. I might have to look at maybe some more footage of BF4 from rival xfactor or russian badger and see how they use it. I recall they don't use it often anyway, as its more for defensive purposes like getting comfortable in a nice little spot.
  14. TheShrapnelKing

People who actually try to defend not having prone in an FPS because it encourages "camping" are just spewing BS. The fact that you can prone doesn't make you more prone to camping, it just makes you harder to see and gives idiots more tunnel vision.

People are just pissy that they have trouble spotting/hitting people when they're prone so they defend taking away the prone ability.
    • Up x 1
  15. AdamRah2

CAMPINGSIDE 2
  16. Zorro

If that is the argument against every substantial improvement that changes the basic mechanics of the game, PS2 is forever doomed to stagnation.
    • Up x 1
  17. JibbaJabba

It just doesn't mix well with a game often played at nearly 1km distances and such a high player count.

You could literally get to the point where you had 20 targets firing at you from a hillcrest that were 3 pixels in size each.

You would counter by going prone yourself and suddenly the pace of the game drops to ARMA speeds.

It's just not well suited to this game, sorry.
  18. Zorro

First of all, render distance for infantry is only 300m (though it should be increased with scopes). Faster speeds for light assault troopers would counter these deadlocks, though increased accuracy would help.
  19. Bruno Puntz Jones

Have you ever tried to put down a deployable object or walk up or down a hill in this game? If you have, then you know why this will never happen. If you tried to go "prone" on about 90% of the "walkable" terrain in the game world, you either would be blocked by "can't do that here" geometry, or would suicide instantly from "fall" damage.
  20. Copasetic

I had a talk with Clegg about it at Gamescom 2 years ago and that's the gist of what he told me. Expensive animations, lots of programming work, complete redesign of all bases and cover in the game, that kind of thing. Of course that was the optimistic Clegg, before he learned he'd be redesigning all the bases and cover in the game anyway...
    • Up x 1