Nothing but air zergs again, why bother playing?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paisty, May 2, 2014.

1. Axehilt

As a frequent ESF pilot, small arms fire is a joke to me and mostly just points me to free kills.

Then on top of that because I engage ground frequently I take Composite for the amazing 25% flak resist, which happens to make small arms fire even more of a joke.

Lock-ons are trivial too. They're basically just a time limit on how long I can stay in the area, but rarely a serious threat.

I'd say they're even more trivial when used against my Solo Lib, because of the sheer amount of time I'm able to occupy multiple players' attention while killing many of them in return and having a very low chance of dying, and activating Fire Suppression and ducking behind cover as needed. It makes me feel incredibly efficient at helping my side win to know that a bunch of players are wasting literally minutes of their time vainly trying to kill a Lib with lockons, and I'm just one guy. Those players could be doing any number of genuinely threatening things, but instead they're shooting at me.

Which isn't to say damage doesn't matter. It does. Every point of damage is more time I'll spend just over that hill repairing, and doing the damage faster means I'll take that break sooner.

But the main point is that these players would be dramatically more threatening in ESFs or Skyguards, and pose a true threat to me.
  2. Silkensmooth

3. Corporate Thug

Some things that are hard for you might be easier for others, but that doesn't mean they will enjoy it because they are good at it. I am a much better pilot and infiltrator than the vast majority of players but I don't like doing either much. I do AA duty tons because I like small squads and usually go to where my faction has lower pop, and can tell you that I almost NEVER shoot down any decent pilots. In the end it isn't about what someone can or can't do, it's about what do they want to do.
  4. Silkensmooth

I dont often get shot down by a solo skyguard either, but i constantly get added on while im trying to fight someone in the air, from a skyguard who is hiding or not even rendering.

The point is that AA is extremely effective. If there is a skyguard at a fight i just leave. Never go back to that fight. Thats what skyguard does to ESFs.

I have lots of time in a skyguard. I use them against air wings that zerg me. Its overpowered. Its a griefer weapon. Its skilless. Its not fun.

It allows me as a solo player to at least clear out an air wing all by myself. There are lots of places where you can park a skyguard where it cant be killed btw. Not going to elaborate for what should be obvious reasons but yeah.

Its cheese. No way should such a skilless easy weapon be so dominant over another vehicle.

If anything it should provide for a good even fight. Ok so you cant fly and so here is this skyguard now you have a good chance of beating an ESF you get the drop on.

NOT, 70% damage done by rockets before you turn your rear away and you still win because your flak is so OP.

OR if you want to keep it the way it is, at least limit the range. Skyguard isnt defending anything at 1k range so it doesnt need to hit at that range.
  5. Taemien

Yet you have many claiming the Skyguard is UP, and even some pilots say they're a joke to fight. But here you are saying they are OP. Now.. I'm not bringing this up because I agree or disagree with you. But because it simply can't be the fact that they are OP and UP at the same time.

You say they can clear the skies of multiple aircraft.
    Others say they can solo a skyguard.

Its got to be one or the other.
  6. D3GGY

AA is skilless, but the Dalton, which, I must remind everyone...

Doesn't even have to hit its target to do damage.

Requires skill.
  7. BadAsElite

Theres no hope for this "I must win by myself attitude".
    You can't nerf teamwork, this game is all about teamwork. GL in CoD or Titanfall.
  8. D3GGY

Teamwork is so OP that a 2-man vehicle can lock down a 12-person fight!

You're right, all of those 12 people should get shafted FOR TEAMWORK.
  9. GaBeRock

The problem with all AA A2G options in the game is that they all require very little skill to use, but don't reward having a lot of skill. This means they can just zerg and even the best pilot can't fly near that area of the map, but at the same time you're not going to be considerably more effective with 100 hours playtime than 50 or even 25 hours playtime. They need to make an AA option that takes as much skill to use as flying, but is also as effective as a flying unit. That way they won't stack in such a way to completely shut out air, but even an individual iser in a low pop fight can make a difference.

Also, the OP/UP disparity is from lib pilots and ESF pilots having different opinions. An ESF needs to avoid the airspace withing 500 meters of the skyguard almost completely, but libs can successfully gank them and continue on their merry way.
  10. BadAsElite

If I was the 2 man team I would be laughing how bad them 12 players are. Theres many ways for 12 people to counter any 2 man team.
    Again Teamwork is OP and in this case funny. ;)
  11. D3GGY

Tell you what.

You go be random infantry in a base and I'll be a Shredder Lib with Thermals.

You can have 2 teammates. I'll bring my gunner, that'll make it 3v2. Clearly a win for ground forces, right?

We'll see how it goes.
  12. BadAsElite

Nothing stoping me pulling back to the nearest Tower / WG and pull a libby Myself.
    Again Teamwork is OP, learn to evolve and adapt my forum buddy :)
  13. Paisty

Yeah you haven't figured out we're your bad assumption was have ya?
  14. Paisty

And here we go with the only counter to aircraft is aircraft...............

you did not read any of this thread did ya?
  15. Epic High Five

Air annoyed me until I got my Airhammer and Coyotes full certed out

Now I've gone from getting hate tells for DARING to use lock-ons to getting hate tells for DARING to use an AA secondary. Strictly speaking the Vortek would be superior in this loadout but to hell with it, the Airhammer gets way more hate tells for whatever reason
  16. Silkensmooth

In the hands of a noob that cant really play anything well, then yes the skyguard is not overpowered. In the hands of someone who can aim and is good at the game it is silly. Thats a solo skyguard. If you get 2 or 3 skyguard together it is complete shutdown of the area for air, even libs.

The reason i don't use a skyguard very often is because its very boring, and it feels like griefing.

You know when you and your buddy pull up and you just start giggling as the esfs melt that something is wrong.

The same way you giggled the first time you got in a vehicle with thermals.

The same way you giggled every time you used your invisible AV mana turret to decimate an armor column.

The same way you giggled when you killed every vehicle in sight with your striker.

The same way you giggled in your zoe max.

The same way you giggled in your pre-nerf lockdown prowler.

You see where im going with this?

Of course i think people who lol pod infantry deserve to be owned by skyguards and lock-ons. What bothers me is when i have no A2G capabilities, im trying to stop the lol podding with an A2A loadout and i have to deal with all of this G2A which is only there because of lol pods.

Would be nice if you got an enormous buff vs these weapons if you were flying A2A loadout.
  17. iller

My skyguard has more ground-kills than ESF kills. You HAVE driven one up to a Phalanx turret before and watched how fast they tear through Armor, right? Takes out a phalanx in 1 clip if you're close enough. Works just fine against Infantry too if you can Track well. (and if you can't, DRIVE OVER THEM) I've even got a few Lighting & Prowler kills with Skyguard :p

I also don't know of a single person in my outfit who can't down ESF's with only 1 Skyguard present. Meanwhile 3 Skyguards is what we pull when we're expecting some really high flying Gal-Drops. But I can understand how players NOT on connery would be less likely to be in a habit of countering Airzergs with more than 1 person on AA duty :rolleyes:
  18. Utrooperx

Solution to air dominance/farming:

1.) Sky Gods get three whacks at me...after three "cheese" deaths, I leave.

2.) If the next three bases are covered by the Glorious Lords of the Air farming to their heart's content.../log out and go do something else.

If all "farmed" Ground pounders follow these two simple rules...there MIGHT be changes...and at the very least, my personal time won't be wasted giving some Sky Warrior a boost to his ego via a SoE endorsed "EZ-mode" play style.

SoE's best solution to this Air Farce is to introduce range-based damage in both the A2G and the G2A gameplay. For a pilot to hurt a infantryman, he has to be faced with a risk-based decision to place his aircraft where he can be seriously injured BY the infantryman...no more swoosh in, lol-pod, AB away with the firm unshakable knowledge that he can't be hurt BY that infantryman...guided missiles? Just hit flares on the run in...the infantry can't target...

First fix would be flare "immunity" from lock ons...make it ranged-based...at 50 meters range its ONE SECOND...and lock on time is ONE SECOND...and fix the blankity-blank rocket launches so they don't hit a twig/rock/ground/building/ally upon firing and explode.

Right now, the air game is seriously out of whack...there is very little "threat" to pilots from the ground...Skyguards/AA turrets? The air simply destroys those first...AA MAX? ESF's just destroy those as they appear...and most Lib pilots just ignore them...zoom in, get a few cheese kills, AB away hitting fire suppression to duck behind a nearby hill, repair up...rinse and repeat...if the MAX really annoys them, just hover directly above the Spawn Room (where the MAX can't target you) and destroy the MAX...then go about your business...

Too many times I've been in a "Air-farmed" position, re-deployed to a nearby base to man a AA turret and started to try to "deter" the farmers...just to have Mr. Lib or Mr. ESF zoom over, destroy my "minor annoyance", and return to "harvesting"...

Eh...it's not much fun...so I adopted the previous two easy rules...If you are sick of being "free certs" because of SoE's refusal to provide a true "risk/reward" solution, I urge you to do the same.

Remember...you can choose to be farmed...or you can choose not to be farmed...do whatever you enjoy doing!
    • Up x 1
  19. Silkensmooth

You don't even have to nerf vehicle weapons vs infantry. Just remove thermals altogether. Thermals are what allow vehicles to farm like they do. without them, they would still get kills, but it wouldn't be the miserable farm fest that it currently is.

If it was up to me i would remove splash damage too. You don't really need splash damage to fight vehicles, which is what you really should be doing with vehicles imo. We tried the vehicle vs infantry thing and it doesnt work well. There is nothing worse as infantry than to have a base surrounded by tanks and libs, ruining what might otherwise be a great infantry fight.

Please bear in mind that i spend the majority of my time in vehicles and i feel this way.

I feel like every aspect of the game is tainted by the other. Infantry play is very fun, but the constant spam from vehicles, especially tanks is absurd to say the least.

Flying is fun, but lock-ons of both the a2a and a2g variety coupled with flak make that a mix of aggravation and fun.

Its like someone made your favorite food to perfection, and then they sprinkled something you really hate on top of it.

I love the combined arms thing, but if you removed thermals and splash, then you could maybe get rid of lock-ons and flak, and we could all have our perfect food without that nasty stuff sprinkled on top.
  20. Paisty

I would be ok with giving this a try a s a fix. I doubt SOE would but at it's a solid idea.