If vehicle FOV can't be altered for "balance" reasons, why can we change infantry FOV?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DemonCarb0n1cs, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Axehilt

Definitely an irritation when PVP games let FoV become a setting (or let hardware provide increased FoV).

In non-PVP games it's okay (though you should still be interested in hand-crafting your game's experience enough that you decide a cut-off point) but in PVP it actually factors into how easily you can sneak up on someone which should generally be an important part of a PVP game.
  2. IamDH

Am i the only one who uses 55 FoV?
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

:confused:
  4. IamDH

I've never tried changing it, maybe i'll give it a try when i can log in.
  5. Regpuppy

Really depends on your screen width/size. I find it disorienting if I play on smaller non-widescreen monitors with 60+ FOV.

Regardless of your screen size, prepare for a period of adjustment after any change. Also make sure to do it in increments.
  6. Alarox

My FOV changes when I'm in a vehicle when I change the slider.

Therefore, the slider changes both vehicle and infantry FOV.

The question is not whether or not infantry FOV is higher than vehicle FOV higher. The question is whether or not the slider affects both, which it does.
    • Up x 3
  7. Wobberjockey

that tells me that vFOV is a function of iFOV... why they aren't equal is beyond me then. (and 'balance' is a really thin argument here)

i know if you read through the oft linked PS2 FOV fix they mention that the vehicles can have individually enforced FOV's but only the turrets seem to use that.
  8. Hicksimus

If only Sony could grasp this simple concept.
    • Up x 1
  9. Astriania

Vehicle FOV is a lot less than infantry FOV in real life - being inside things restricts your peripheral vision. Possibly not true for the Flash (which should have infantry FOV) but it makes sense for the others.
  10. DemonCarb0n1cs

I can maybe understand the claustrophobic tank view, but it's unacceptable for an ESF. My character isn't looking at a screen, they're looking through the window of the jet.
  11. SushiCW

Huh. I hope you're right about that! I'm going to try it out later and see.

I use default FOV because I got tired of my FOV changing every time I got in or out of a vehicle: I'd rather have it consistently narrow than jump back and forth.
  12. DemonCarb0n1cs

What size monitor do you play on if you keep the FOV that low all the time?
  13. FieldMarshall

FOV 360 master race
  14. Huxer

LOL! Dude, you are such a leech.
  15. SushiCW

23" 16x10 at 1680x1050.

I tried this, it did not work. Changing the FOV slider *did not affect me* when I was inside my ESF cockpit. I have no idea why you are apparently able to do that.
  16. Alarox

Unless they changed it in the last month the FoV slider does change vehicle FoV.
  17. Nate

I used to complain about the vehicle (and base turret) FoV change. Seems we are stuck with incessantly popping in and out of 3rd person and the resultant headache this can generate. Someones bright idea way back.
  18. DemonCarb0n1cs

The FOV for turrets never really seems to bother me because I understand that I am a stationary object. I suppose situational awareness could be raised by upping it.
  19. DemonCarb0n1cs

20. DemonCarb0n1cs