What is the deal with the Banshee?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tentakewls, May 2, 2014.

1. Tentakewls

So I bought the Banshee on my TR alt expecting it to be something like the PPA for the Scythes, but it seems to be pretty crappy against infantry ( altho I haven't used it much ). Is there something I'm missing? Maybe it needs certain upgrades to be good? Does it have some hidden benefits, or does it just suck?
  2. Gundem

It relies on direct hits over massive splash. Treat it like a Shredder with low AV and magazine size. It even melts MAX's like the Shredder.

It's not as good for AI then the PPA, but it can defend itself in the air, which makes it vastly superior.
  3. Tentakewls

Sounds nice, the PPA 100% useless against air.
  4. Crayv

Despite what the name would suggest the Banshee isn't really that loud of a gun. If you manage get close to a group of infantry unnoticed it takes them a moment to realize you are there (rocket pods on the other hand will give you away instantly) giving you a chance to cause some damage before they pull out their G2As.

During the height of the Annihilator being OP I actually enjoyed flying (farming infantry) more then than I do know because I was running with stealth (ah the days when all ranks made you not visible on the minimap) and would approach a large infantry fight (usually it was TI Alloys) from the flight ceiling, dive straight down on a group of infantry, then fire my Banshee mag, switch to pods to finish off any that were wounded, and the AB away to escape the lockons.
  5. Mxiter

You have to move closer.
    Banshee PPA
    RPM 800 200
    Direct damage 150 425
    Splash damage 200 before 0.5m 250 before 1m
    Min splash 2m 4m
    Mag size (stock): 25 20
    DPS (direct + splash) 4666 2250
    Velocity 500 300
    COF 0.75 0.55

It have less substained damages and smaller splash than the PPA but Much higher ROF and DPS.
    It's not made to spam an aera during 10 sec, but for killing fast 1-3 soft targets.

The banshee is still crappy at AA: it requires 2 full mags to destroys an ESF but have a terrible COF/spreand, bad direct damages and a bad velocity wich makes it impossible to do and not reliable at all as an AA nose gun.

If standard nose gun was 20, PPA would be 1 and the banshee would be 2.

The only way to win 1V1 dogfight with that gun is that the opponents have the PPA and AB tanks.
    Even hornets are better at dogfight.
  6. Tommyp2006

It pretty much needs mag size
    • Up x 1
  7. dstock

Yah, echo this. Also, in my very limited experience with it, I found I like zoom optics, as much as you can afford. That was several months ago, I'm not sure if it's the same.
  8. Flashtirade

I don't think it's accurate enough for zoom, the CoF and lack of ammo really limit its capabilities at range.
    I run thermals and mag size so I leave no survivors.
    • Up x 1
  9. Kurohagane

Nothing is impossible for a willing mind.

This was just me doing this out of boredom once, but it was so fun i intend to make it my goal to become a professional a2a peepeeayer, since i just auraxiumed the anteres. No, i am not a masochist.
    • Up x 1
  10. jiggu

It excels massively with mag size upgrade, get that. You need to be quite accurate because if you waste your mag you're gonna have to wait unlike the PPA that just keeps unloading. But it's pretty brutally fast at killing once you get the hang of it.