what cpu should i buy for ps2 ?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by asdasdasd123, Apr 30, 2014.

1. asdasdasd123

what i5 is great to for playnetside 2 ?
    i5 2500k, i7..... ? ?
  2. DDShadow

figure out a budget then you have to consider possibly new memory, new mobo most likely then video card on top of your cpu
  3. asdasdasd123

i just need help what cpu is good for the game only the CPU . GPU gtx770 gskill 16gb ram ...
    budget for cpu 300-400€
  4. DDShadow

look up some online euro computer shops then see if you can get

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

i'm in north america so this is a decent price for i7 but i think Europe might be subjected to some electronics tax or something
    i7 might be overkill but eventually more applications and games will use it this is more of a long run if you can afford it situation
  5. TheAppl3

i5-4670k, 3570k, or 2500k are all great. i7s are usually not worth the extra $100. If you have a Microcenter nearby, you can get them for far more reasonable prices.

edit: Europe. No Microcenters. I'm an idiot. Get any of the i5s I mentioned.
  6. Perceptus

Ive seen the game run great on an AM3 Single Core 2.6ghz. paid $20 for it on newegg.com
  7. Krayus_Korianis

The question would be, what CPU do you have right now?

Why would I ask such a question? Well, if you don't have an LGA1155 socket on your motherboard, you will need a new motherboard and copy of Windows (Windows is bound to the motherboard).

Intel CORE i5 2nd and 3rd Gen (2k/3k) are LGA1155 sockets, the 4th Gen (4k) socket is LGA1150.
    • Up x 1
  8. RyanGUK

From what I've seen, the game performs better on an Intel processor than an AMD processor. It's just the way AMD has this approach to MOAR CORES whereas Intel is more about utilizing the cores it has more effectively.

Planetside 2 (I believe) likes how Intel optimizes it's cores rather than AMDs tactic of quantifying them.
  9. S7rudL

• Up x 1
  10. Skiptrace

Intel also has Hyper-threading on it's side so for any floating point calculations that the game has to make, it can make them slightly faster, resulting in more theoretical FPS
  11. user101

You should buy a CRAY SUPER COMPUTER for PS2.. then you will have enough CPU power. And a huge electric bill. !
    Faster CPU's work much better than slow ones... always use liquid cooling with 4+ ghz... I have seen things that warrant liquid cooling. Not that air does not work but the liquid seems to work better.
  12. indian spice

I would have to recommend intel's 3rd(ivy bridge) and 4th generation(haswell) i5 CPUs. eg. 3xxx and 4xxx. the 4th generation is about 10% or less faster than the 3rd gen, and either one is better than the 2nd generation (sandy bridge) IMHO. If you want a specific reccomendation, get the i5-3750 or i5-4760. Get the 'k' version if you want to overclock from 3.8 to 4+ GHZ.

I have an i5-3550 engineering sample OC to 4ghz, with 16gb ram, and a gtx 480. I run Planetside 2 at 1860 by 1050 with everything to ultra, except for shadows(low) and effects(med). I get 60 fps capped with vsync, and 50 fps at the lowest.

Good luck.
  13. Alopix

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

I'm currently planning a new rig, and as part of that I read on here and the forums about what processors people had and what settings they ran, and looked on that site to compare those CPUs. Based on that, I would recommend you aim for one at least around 5000 on that benchmark and more importantly a "single thread rating" of at least 2,000(this part unfortunately rules out AMD, even though I'd otherwise rather buy an AMD chip.) The logical break points seem to be either the i3 4330(which ought to have no trouble playing on high), or the i5 4670(which should net you close to max settings if your video card is good enough, although it may drop too many frames at "true ultra".)

Don't waste money on a "K" model (like 4670K) unless you plan to overclock. There's no difference in stock performance.

Keep in mind that a powerful CPU, while necessary to max out Planetside 2, is going to be completely wasted playing any other video game. I am getting a 4670; but I play this game a lot and don't intend to switch games in the near future. If this isn't the case for you, I would get the 4330, settle for lower performance on PS2, and shift that money in your budget towards a better video card that will let you max other games.
  14. asdasdasd123

i'm using an amd fx 6100 now. i know i need to cheng my motherboard .
  15. asdasdasd123

ty for the answers ! . i just have one more question: if anyone know if i can play with intel i5 2500k 4.2Ghz the game with 60fps bigfights ? if its run good ? cuz iz can get the cpu for 80 dollars from a friend. ty for help !!!
  16. Money

I use the Intel i5-3570 Ivy Bridge and it plays the game perfectly(at least until the 64bit patch came out, but that's another story. I put together my rig(motherboard, CPU, RAM, Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212 cooler) for a reasonable $500.
    • Up x 1
  17. Smagjus

$80 is a good price for this CPU. You won't have stable 60 FPS with it though, at least not in big fights.

I would normally recommend an i5-4670k but in this case the price/performance ratio is much better for the i5-2500k. So go with it.
  18. WeaverMSI

Yes, the 2500k will be fine, but will your friend also sell you a compatible motherboard? You will need either a P67 or Z68 chipset.
  19. Krayus_Korianis

Or an H61M from Gigabyte. They accept 2nd/3rd Gen Intel sockets. (However, you'd want the best for an i5. I know I would.)
  20. entrailsgalore

This is a general recommendation for anyone.

If you are on a budget go with an FX-8350, or if it is a tight Budget then you can get an FX-6350, and just OC both CPU's My FX-6350 runs Planetside 2 on Ultra like a boss.

Now to answer your question about which i5.

If you want the best performance out of only Planetside 2, or just games in general the i5-3570k is the best CPU to get, especially if Planetside 2 is the main game you play. If you can find an i5-4670k for the same price, or cheaper via bundle deal, then you can go with that since it is newer technology, however benchmarks and real game-play show that the i5-3570k performs about the same, and some cases I think uses less power when both chips are overclocked.

Note: if you want to do more than just Gaming, such as Light Video Editing, or Sounds recording and encoding, you may want to bump up to an i7-3770k. You will get the same gaming performance ( for the most part) as an i5-3570k/4670k, but will do a better job at other things. Beyond that, the question then becomes "What else do you plan to do with your PC, and how serious is it going to be?" if the answer is "Not much else, and not very serious" then going beyond an i7-3770k would just be spending more money on not that much more performance in what YOU do with your PC.

The sweet spot right now though, is the i5-3570k, which can run Planetside 2 perfectly fine on Ultra at stock clock, which is 3.4Ghz, which Turbo's up to 3.8Ghz, so if you have at least $230, then go for it. Just a quick mention, for $250 I was able to get an FX-6350, a Motherboard, and a Liquid Cooler, which I OC'd it and called it a day. But if your running an Intel board, then obviously go Intel.

Regardless of which CPU you pick though, definitely buy an aftermarket cooler, and OC your CPU. You won't need another CPU after that for probably a year or two, which is quite a while in the Computer Hardware Universe. All of your upgrades are then going to be GPU, RAM, PSU, and Storage before you need a new CPU or Mobo to be honest.