[Guide] Why I bail out of aircraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Taemien

This is sort of a red herring. This isn't happening in PS2. We don't have only pilots bailing and only the counter to it happening over and over and over. Bailing your ESF and /suiciding as has been stated many times, doesn't happen very often. Bailing with a LA to avoid death happens more, but the result is still the same, the destruction of their ESF which is still a HARD victory. Sometimes you get someone to bail as a LA and C4 the pursuing ESF like in the OP's video.. but that is very rare. And sometimes you get someone like me who hard lands a ESF as a heavy and rockets the pursuing ESF.... again rather rare (and tricky to do, its not a guarantee success... half the time I die and they get the kill for it).

Now lets say it did happen all the time like the missile cav tactic in Shogun 2. Unlike their devs, SOE would probably fix the thing rather quickly. They've got a very good history of stomping out overbearing things like that. Even being a little overzealous at time (ZOE nerf is a great example of something like the missile cav thing). This is a very good case of "hate the game, not the player."
  2. RealityWarrior

Couldn't you replace "Bailing out" with use "A2A lock on"?
  3. Ghenko

You c4'd a plane in mid air. That's freakin awesome!

Since EQ1 my philosophy has been, if its possible then its "legal". Early in that game when you got PK'd your killer could select an item to loot from what you are wearing. Some items in that game took a long camp time and/or a large group of people to obtain. All someone had to do to take it from you was camp a zone-in point, especially outside a dungeon. "Trains" were common in EQ1 and people would often use the zone outs to escape them. So not only were the campers on the other side of the zone point enjoying a huge advantage as they could start attacking you before you even had control over your character, but you were often already heavily damaged from a train. This of course made u ez pickins.

After having a couple of hard to get items looted from me this way, I of course screamed EXPLOIT! But the fact is, it was not. Its just the way the game was. I eventually adapted, and started using the environment to my advantage and/or avoiding situations where the environment put me at a disadvantage. SOE of course eventually did away with item loot, because they couldn't actually "fix" the problem.

So enough with the whole "unsportsman like" garbage, "exploiter", etc. If something is possible in a game, then regardless of how you may personally feel about it, it will happen. You can't force the developers to make the game the way you think it should be any more than you can force other players to play it the way you think it should be played. Even if u r right and it "should" be a certain way, if it is not that way, then either deal with it or don't play.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zorro

While honor is important, there is nothing dishonorable about bailing out of an aircraft to avoid certain death. Both those that say "bailing is cheating" and "one is supposed to play dirty" are wrong. Simply, skewed definitions of honor are being used.
    • Up x 1
  5. GaBeRock

I've seriously considered runnin bail assault to thumb my nose at lockon users (staying in if I find a good nosegun-fightl but I only have NAN 2, and am too impatient to wait for my craft to autorepair often.
  6. LtSqueak

^This. So much this!! Regardless of what we are talking about, be it bailing, lock-ons, tank spam, etc, quit telling players they are stupid for using systems that the game allows. If you have a problem with it, make your complaints out to SOE to change it, not to other players calling them little b****s for using a tactic to their advantage. If it's in the game and it's clearly not an exploit then it's fair game.
    If you have a problem with it, voice your opinion on it with something to back it up (i.e. (my opinion) /suicide should be removed because there is no counter to them instantly running away but redeploy is fine because I still have 10s to kill them/hit them once) and then work around it while SOE deals with it.
    The fact that you mention some of these topics and it instantly becomes a macho measuring contest of "I'm better than you because i play this way" drives me crazy. Voice your complaints and be civil and quit just attacking each other. /rant over
    • Up x 2
  7. z1967

TIL purposefully increasing my ping to stellar levels and shotgun mongering is a valid tactic. Along with holes in the map mesh that I can hop into and shoot people with. And let's not forget the fun spawn room shield render bug that allows you to shell spawn rooms. And I guess we can add sticking your liberator guns through biolab roofs and bombing everyone inside. And who could forget the always popular invincibility bug that Higby said would get you banned for exploiting it. Ah yes, clearly these fun environmentalfeatures were very popular with the community and everyone wanted them to stay as long as possible. No they didn't, I speak sarcastically.

Yeah, those "exploits" are "legal" by your definition. Exploits are exploits and the more people that use them the worse it makes the exploit. Everything bar purposefully lagging yourself out are all bannable offenses by GMs. Hopping out of turrets and vehicles and being "invisible" for a few seconds is not bannable but is abusable (to an extent). It happens because forgelight, and if we had exit animations we wouldn't have that problem (likely). Off on a tangent here but I just wanted to call you out on that.
    • Up x 1
  8. KnightCole

Bail out of ur plane. Im prolly the infantry peppering your jet the entire time anyway. As soon as you bail, I smile, take aim and unload.....

And OP, I do get the +1 kill. I play for the kills. Its a shooter game, I play to kill people....atleast in this virtual world.
  9. DQCraze

It's possible to clip hillsides in several areas and kill people inside their spawn, that doesn't make it legal. It will probably get you banned.
    • Up x 3
  10. Astriania

This video is talking about bailing out of aircraft for a tactically valid reason. While it's annoying to get C4'd by aircraft-borne LAs, that is tactically valuable. Bailing out because you're about to die is pathetic K/D farming. No, I guess the '+1' doesn't mean that much, but then why is it okay for someone to base their playstyle on avoiding the '-1'? Bailing and redeploying to avoid a kill is cheap gameplay and just about making your personal stats look good at the expense of people who beat you.
    • Up x 1
  11. DramaticExit

Yeah... It's not something which is 100% transferable to PS2. I was picking up on LordBlades comment that gamers in general can be slotted into two distinct camps - The "I take my fun purely from winning and therefore will cheese" "pro" types, and the "casuals" who through ignorance or abstention do not use cheese tactics.

I was simply stating that the distinction is far more blurry than that, and such generalisations are most often extremely inaccurate.
  12. NinjaKirby

Since I took some time out to make this, I'll share it, even though it's not as great as I originally hoped.

Just a friendly edit of the original :p I hope no hard feelings, OP, you can take the piss outta me any time.
    (If it does upset you though, I'll take it down)

• Up x 3
  13. Ghenko

1967, you are right. All of those things suck and anyone purposefully using those things to gain advantage also sucks. But they are also all bugs. These should definitely be brought to the devs attention so they can be fixed. IMO players abusing things like this just creates more forum rage and gets them fixed faster.

As far as the OP's vid; One issue I see is he "dropped" c4 out in front of himself while falling. I can't tell how much he is using his jets so how much falling momentum he has is hard to determine. However more than likely if you are falling and "drop" something, it will either just hang there in the air in front of you, or if has more air resistance psi than u do it will actually go up in relation to you, not down. Of course this could be thought of as a bug, the C4 probably should not have behaved that way. However, it did, and that's what it will do every time so that's just the way it is. The player did nothing wrong, per se. The game did.

Here's another one for ya, for the longest time Boston Garden's basketball floor at an imperfection in it near the sidelines of one of the goals. It wasn't major but if you knew about it and had a chance to practice with it, you could use it to your advantage. Opposing players who had never played on the floor sometimes had dribble bounces go awry in this spot. Were the Celtics taking advantage of, "exploiting" a flaw? Hell yeah! Are they horrible people who should have their championships taken away?

Of course the issue most people have is the "no honor" idea of bailing out to avoid death, or even suiciding to deny your enemy a kill. Really? The idea of bailing out of a doomed aircraft is almost as old as aviation itself, and the idea of denying your opponent the satisfaction of a clear victory is as old as competition itself. As a favorite sports talk show host of mine once said, "play well enough so that the calls don't matter".

The point is to fix the game, not police the players. Clearly exploitable bugs are bad, for everyone, including those taking advantage of them because they ruin gameplay for everyone else. You NEED other players to play. These players may be the type that will always gravitate towards whatever happens to be OP at any given moment or even exploit a "bug" to their advantage when the opportunity presents itself, but that doesn't make them bad people or deserve ridicule. I personally wouldn't exploit a known bug, but if I didn't know it was a bug I'll do whatever the game lets me do without remorse. If anyone deserves ridicule, its the developer for allowing a "finished" game to go live with major flaws. I say exploit the crap out of them so SOE gets a clue.
    • Up x 1
  14. GhostAvatar

And all those are instagibs, so he didn't have a chance to deny. Thats the real difference in the principle here. Having a chance as opposed to not having a chance. As it stands at present, they can not deny a kill if you are good enough with any weapon. But that doesn't stop them from trying to make it harder and nor should it. The whole principle of an FPS is to kill the enemy without letting them kill you. Does that mean they should make it easier for you to kill them all just because of some made up code of honor. The short answer is no.
    • Up x 2
  15. Epic High Five

Oh god, with how much redeploying it takes to get anywhere w/o pulling an ESF on Amerish...

KDR after an hour on Indar: 4.00
    KDR after 20min on Amerish: 0.25
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

Bailing isn't an exploit. Killing/damaging someone who hasn't even loaded in to the game yet is an exploit, it is just incredibly hard to fix and has been a quirk of forgelight for a long time. Bailing out of an aircraft because of X reason is not an exploit no matter who tells you it is. Cheap? Maybe, but not an exploit in it's current state.
    • Up x 3
  17. WarmasterRaptor

Omg,
    Where were you guys when the AV turret was unbalanced and cheesy?
    Where were you guys when the VS MAX ZOE was unbalanced and cheesy?
    Where were you guys when the Striker was unbalanced and cheesy?
    Where were you guys when Pheonix was unbalanced and cheesy?
    Where are you guys when there is blatant and TRULY unbalanced and cheesy gameplay?

Where were your "glorious" calls of HONOR and ETIQUETTE??

Bring me back my musket and old powder-powered cannons and straight coats and recreate the good ol' pitched battles of the past!
    ...o_O...:rolleyes:

Man, if I wear a parachute, I'll ******* use it. If I have an ejection seat, I'll ******* use it too.
    One negates momentum for it's investment, the other does not and requires foresight.

"you were outplayed..."
    Well too bad but no. I had the time to react to an eventual death, I was NOT outplayed. YOU, on the other hand, got outplayed. You got served a joker card on you, that's sad. Work a little harder to get the hundred XP and +1 Kill to your golden stats.

That's frustration of not having the kill you thought you should've had according to the effort you thought it required.

NOBODY is here to give flowers to the others. Expect to work your *** to get XP. All. the. time.

Otherwise, remove tanks. They are unfair against infantry.
    Remove aircrafts. They are unfair against tanks AND infantry.
    Remove mines. They are unhonorably killing carefree pedestrians.
    Remove Medkits, they regenerate the health of somebody I already wounded.
    Remove Medguns for the same reason.
    Remove Shields from the spawn room, they dishonorably protect people from my bullets...
    Remove vehicle mines,...
    Remove flak...
    Remove guns...

Let's cuddle.
    • Up x 2
  18. IamnotAmazing

no, anything that does damage is op! You all know it!
    • Up x 2
  19. JEFCCC

W
    When I bail, I don't worry WHAT SO EVER about things that would be above my characters knowledge like xp and KD, I'm only worried about living. I don't redeploy, I go and kill some people (I am in enemy territory after all) and try to be some what productive to the war effort.

As for those who DO bail for stupid reasons like xp and KD, there are ******Bags out there, we must all deal with this FACT
    • Up x 2
  20. WarmasterRaptor

I can do very soft and tender cuddles! There's no possible damages in this action!

...Accept my cuddles... :(
    • Up x 2