Biolabs Should Not Exist In The Game In Their Current Form.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CactusLynx, Apr 23, 2014.

1. phreec

How Biolab fights play out are heavily affected by the numbers. What you described is nigh impossible when there's a ton of defenders with dozens of eyes on every entrance so those fights tend to stagnate to long staredowns. Low population Biolabs are a ton of fun though.
  2. SquattingPig

Biolabs are the default place to go if you're too lazy to travel around the map to find a good fight.
  3. William Petersen

I <3 BioLabs. No ******* air, no ******* tanks, just good ole man-to-man. I agree that defenders need to **** off camping teleport rooms, though. =-\ It's not really fun for anyone involved. Fighting over points, though, that's fun.
  4. maxkeiser

Biolabs are fine as they are. No changes required.
  5. sumsitup

Biolabs are indeed terrible. Tower fights are always the best. Except for the towers that make no sense, like Feldspar. Who on Auraxis would design a tower built into a CANYON? Even still, take a terrible tower fight over an airpad stalemate any day of the week.
  6. ViXeN

Are you freaking kidding me? Without biolabs this game would turn into one big vehicle farm and long range infantry standoffs. CQC would be almost non-existent. If they took out biolabs, I would not play this game anymore. I hate vehicles and I don't like long-range battles.

So basically, you want the dome to be gone so you can farm infantry with libs and esfs? LOL
    • Up x 1
  7. Scr1nRusher

They shouldn't exist at all at this point.
  8. Paragon Exile

If they made a few holes in the roof, changed the spawns a bit and put some points on the ground, the Biolabs would become more fun. Right now, they're just mindless farms that can't be taken if the defenders have a clue, because their design (chokepoints ahoy!) makes numbers and tactics irrelevant for non-LA's.

And god help you if your team is stuck trying to advance from the air pad, you may as well try swimming with concrete shoes.
  9. ViXeN

The biolabs have a total of 5 entrances. 2 airpads and 3 teleporter rooms. Its not that hard to take a biolab if the attackers know what they are doing. The problem is that many times they will only go for one entrance and end up getting themselves in a situation where they just get hopelessly farmed. That is why I always tell people to take both airpads and try to have two teleporters. Having people come in from 4 different positions is very difficult to defend against.

Putting holes in the dome would just lead to Lib farming so that is a horrible idea.
  10. Paragon Exile

How often do you control all three satellite bases? And how long do you keep your sunderers safe for? It is very rare for attackers to get all five entrances at once. You can get them and keep them up, but it takes disproportional effort on the attacker's part to overcome the defenders.

The defenders have much more cover, vantage points where they can see the enemies but the enemies can't see them, a good spawn, and can easily spawn a vehicle mini-zerg to take out sunderers.

Not if the tree canopy was changed to provide cover for the ground. The holes would be entrances, not a "Dalton here plz" sign.
  11. ViXeN

You don't need all three. If you have two and at least one airpad (both would be preferred) then its pretty easy to take a biolab. Should you be able to take a biolab easily with just once entrance? Then it would be like every other fight where the attackers easily overwhelm the defenders. A lot of bases are designed in a way that makes them very difficult to actually defend. THis is one of the few cases where you CAN defend and everyone wants to remove it. What the heck... LOL Do people on this game really hate a good challenge that much?

I wouldn't really have a big issue with that if there were only a couple and they couldn't be used by Libs.
  12. M2_Bradley

When you actually manage to get past the clusterf*ck around the teleporter rooms and landing pads...
  13. Paragon Exile

Bases should be relatively easy to defend (i.e. easier to hold than to take), but Biolabs, and to a much lesser extent towers, have geometry and mechanics that greatly reward farming and being an idiot, as they nullify to a great extent numbers and teamwork.

Bases should be havens, but not without effort. Biolabs might as well set up defenses themselves, seeing as they have such predictable and constrained movements and obvious, solitary first targets.

A good rule of thumb I've seen used is "You need 60% of the pop to take a base", which generally holds true. Biolabs break that rule by a wide margin, to the extent that you need to outnumber them 3-1 to really have a chance (assuming 48+)
  14. Mianera

What's the matter, you don't like Farmlabs?

But it's the fastest way to earn certs. Just go medic or engi and grind like it's a MMORPG!
  15. ViXeN

What? Towers are generally awful to try to defend because of the easy tank farming. With many of the towers they can hit infantry almost anywhere inside the base. Biolabs are really the only bases that can be defended against a large group of attackers. No, you do not need a 3-1 advantage to taker a biolab at all if the attackers know what they are doing. You can do it with equal pops quite easily if you take a couple teleporters and an airpad. The trick is to actually be smart about it and now just mindlessly throw yourselves through the entrances. Use smoke, go together, have a good mix of classes, get people on the rooftops immediately, use multiple entrances, etc... If you want to take a biolab then you can't be predictable and stupid. It requires actually tactics unless you DO have a massive pop advantage. Then you can just throw people at it until you overwhelm the defenders but that isn't much fun.
  16. Pineapple Pizza!

Are people here speaking from the point of view of an outfit that can field a platoon of intelligent human beings? Do people coordinate conc throws to push / hold off pushes, or do they just scream "EVERYONE PULL MAXES" then run into C4 and rage?
    • Up x 1
  17. Paragon Exile

Your team isn't using AV effectively then. Vehicles should never be in a position to fire on your tower for more than a minute before lancers make them evaporate. Also, many tower bases are level with the surrounding terrain, and a handful (Regent Rock and the Crown) are higher.

Clearly you have never faced the Mattherson NC, who go HAM in a defensive action the moment we move a sunderer in their hex.

No.

If the enemy team hasn't already camped the teleporters, the pad and mined the sundy garages, they're incompetent. Any team worth its weight in bacon will do this five minutes in advance (or more) of having their biolab become vulnerable.

The thing with Biolabs is that they can't be beaten by anything but mindless zerging if the defenders are even semi-concious.

IR scopes are always trained directly on you the moment you try. Have fun

And get murdered together as dozens of campers open up at the slightest provocation.

Not going to help you when you face a tsunami of lead that cuts down MAX units instantly.

I'm sure those slowly-ascending LA's will survive the merciless onslaught at the entrances, and then in their weakened state kill the enemy LA's waiting on the roof already.

We always do, and they're always camped/mined/a trap

Biolabs force you to be predictable and stupid because they're designed so horribly.

Biolab chokepoints negate numbers advantages unless the attacker is already inside.

Nevertheless, I always love a good zerg.
  18. ViXeN

Seems to be the case with most failed biolab attacks.
  19. ViXeN

There is only so much AV can do when you have a 10-20 tank zerg plus air outside your base. :rolleyes:

Nope, I just face the NC on Waterson and Connery, both of which almost always outpop us in most battles

We do it pretty often on both of my servers. We just did it against the NC last night on Connery and I think they actually had slightly more people.

That is why i said you have to actually use tactics and be smart when attacking. Don't just randomly rush out and die.

Then why does it happen on Connery and Waterson? I'm betting it happens on your server too.

Yet its still an advantage because MAXes and Engi turrets don't have NV scopes and a lot of infantry don't have them either.

Some will die but most should be able to get through. And that is why you have medics. Toss those revive grenades.

If you go at the same time, most enemies will be focused on the MAXes and medics.

No offense but if you guys can't even take one of the outer bases then they have no idea what they are doing in the first place.

Nothing forces you to be stupid and predictable. You choose to do so.

Really? If I had a cert for every time a massive group crashed from the teleporter or airpad and ended up getting control of the base.....
  20. Paragon Exile

Play on Mattherson, and you will see the error of your ways. The 'ease' at which your server(s) takes biolabs doesn't happen on Mattherson unless we rapidly attack it while the enemy is elsewhere (i.e. in the morning)

Every single fight where both sides are committed to the base goes on for an hour at least, often times more (I've seen a 6-hour battle for one). It's a tortuous slog through the most committed ******* defenders and awful layout that really burns me and others out. Every. Single. Time.

It's boring, worse than that, it's a chore. Games should never be a chore.