I'm so tired of being out popped immensely

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Believeinsteve, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Phyr

Change your opinion of "winning"
  2. Atis

I'm pointing at "your game will live only 4 years" being weak threat.
    As for topic, any changing mechanics bonus is bad. I'd suggest few stackable XP bonuses. Continent underpop, region underpop, fighting against biggest nation bonus, staying long in same battle bonus etc. In perfect conditions should be like +300-400% XP. XP penalty is acceptable too but only in extreme cases, like overpop 5to1 on 3rd base in row etc and not too harsh.

More alerts wont help, ppl don't value overabundant things.
  3. minhalexus

I dont really care about pops, other than when alerts are happening.
  4. Rhaegal

As far as I know. Each server suffer from the same problem in a different way. I don't think there is one solution that could magically fix it. I'm kinda waiting on Hossin and Continental Lattice; however, the outcome is still unknown. I personally spend most of my time on either Connery or Miller, and there's a world difference between being outnumbered here and there.

I also noticed that in most conversation the actual number of online players at any given time gets neglected. For example, 500 vanu players playing against 250 NC and 250 TR is not that same as, lets say, 1200 NC against 600 VS and 600 TR. When the number of players get too big. You find all sorts of fights. Good, bad, small , big, mediocre, hardcore.. you get the idea... but when it's too small it turns into one giant zerg of a certain faction versus.. well, no body. And ghost capping. Whenever the 2 underpoped faction have something close to a decent smalk fight. A few, lets say, very good and very bored lib crews decide to, rightfully, crash that party and put and end to it.

20 vs 10 tank battle outcome may differ a lot based on the skill lever of each. 1 very experienced tank doesn't stand a chance against a few of inexperienced ones. There are exceptions for sure but it doesn't make the case.

At the end of the day, this is a video game. And by that I mean people play to have fun. And if under any circumstances one team constantly does not get that, the majority of it will simply quite and find something else to play or do, resulting in even bigger pop imbalances. It's a lose-lose situation unless creators of the game give it more attention.
  5. ChampagneDragon

I played, and was quite active in leader's chat, on that alert last night. You and I have completely different recollections of it.

VS started with 40% pop, TR 32% and NC 28%. There was ONE link between TR and NC, Quartz Ridge/Indar Ex.

TR insisted on pushing onto Quartz Ridge, making us dedicate a considerable force there to stop the Hvar lane (big territories up that lane).

VS instantly attacked Crossroads and we held them in a back and forth between XenoTech and Crossroads for an hour until their pop jumped up significantly and they pushed us out, pushing into Regent Rock.

Despite starting with the lowest pop AND being hit by both factions; Crossroads/Xeno on the VS front and Quartz Ridge on the TR front, we managed to hang onto most of our territory, losing only Crossroads and Xeno to the zerg that are the VS on Mattherson.
  6. Ronin Oni

Just give more XP, and give bonus XP for fighting in a region you're out-popped in to STACK with the continent pop bonus to STACK with a world pop discrepancy bonus.

I'd be happy with that... VERY happy.

The resource revamp (though probably not till stage 2 :( ) will also help immensely with the pop issue by restricting facility power to create vehicles/consumables.
  7. CrashB111

8. NC_agent00kevin

I played NC on Waterson coming from Jaeger. Right about when I hit BR100 NC overpopulation was the name of the game. Perfect time to put on some spandex! I couldnt bring myself to go TR after their massive population advantage for months on end - though I will eventually rank up a TR too.

Though crushing defeats are commonplace, I have far more fun playing as the underpopped faction than I do playing the overpopped. When I play NC I dont feel like we won anything because we have an advantage - and its that much more embarassing when we lose. Its hard to start fresh with no certs at first, but its not bad after some adjustment. You can more effectively manage your certs earned as well as have an accurate KDR not tainted by the learning curve.
  9. LibertyRevolution

Pop only matters if you are playing to cap and hold land..
    If you stop caring about who wins what base, and just focus on killing as many dudes as possible, being underpop is actually a plus.

I am that guy that spawns at a base to defend against 97%/3% odds.
    Target rich environment of people not paying attention and looking at maps deciding where to zerg next.
    • Up x 1
  10. IamDH

Lets get real, 40% NC means 30% are monkeys :)
  11. Zorro

Sadly, current design means that most of the opponents will be on overwatch around the spawn room, making it nearly impossible to flank.
  12. pnkdth

VS is the least populated faction in the game... There's one server where VS has the advantage. The one you, presumably, play on?

Also, a warning to anyone who does not want to have their eardrums shattered, do not click CrashB111's link. All it does is playing someone saying "Ah, the irony is rich."
    • Up x 2
  13. Selerox

Exactly. VS is underpopulated everywhere right now. The same as in the past. The only time it was even slightly even on population was during the "ZOE Era".

VS right now is at a disadvantage everywhere.
  14. Zorro

Not really, we have the advantage of skill.
  15. Phyr

how else do you auraxium BASR's?
  16. Akuzimo

Penalties for being overpopped? You want to penalize a player for something that is literally outside of their control? What if the only character they have is on the overpopped faction? Should they be forced to make a new character just to appease those who don't like it?
    • Up x 1
  17. FieldMarshall

I love being outpopped. The added enemies to kill more than makes up for everything else.
  18. Astealoth

I've suggested a sledgehammer fix for this issue about 30 times over the last year and a half. Not sure if there's some technical reason it can't be done, but it would bury the problem forever.

Faction specific log in queues on the character select screen. If the faction of a character you are trying to log in on is over populated by a certain percentage then put them in a queue to come in the server. If over all server population falls below a certain threshold have the faction balance queue turn off to keep the server pop from getting too low. Problem gone, forever, as if it never existed. Would have the added benefit of giving member's queues value now that not enough people even play to invoke a continent queue.
  19. CrashB111

Right because routinely having 40%+ population on Mattherson, while TR sits comfortably at 25%-30% is such a crushing blow to the Vanu populations?
  20. Selerox

One server. One server. Vanu globally are underpopped.
    • Up x 1