Frustration

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celludriel, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ShureShot

Yes it can certainly be frustrating. It's hard to feel like you are 'doing well' in this game, harder than in most other games. Especially for new players. And that gratification is something a lot of people look for when playing a game.

As a squishy infantry player, you don't stand much of a chance against a tank or an aircraft. And in a game of this scale, with no limits to how many vehicles can be pulled, this can be very frustrating.

Another problem with the large scale is that it is that much harder to be aware of everything. When you have 50+ enemies in one base, there is always someone creeping up behind you.

But that doesn't mean everyone is cheating. It doesn't mean all the weapons are crap, because the people who kill you fast are using the same 'crappy' weapons. They just learned to use them. And learned how to get behind you without being seen/killed.

PS2 is certainly not the best fps game if you want to have a nice infantry experience. It takes a lot of time to get to that point, and many players will never get there. But if you are looking for a large combined arms fps, with a pretty scenery and big fights, there is nothing that comes close.

I also don't understand how people who only play infantry in this game can keep playing. I get frustrated too. But then I spawn a HE Lightning, go on a 100 killstreak, feel better, and then I'm ready for some infantry again.
    • Up x 1
  2. JumbaJuice

-worries about kd/r
    -plays planetside2
  3. Celludriel

I did notice I usually die when aiming thru sights. It's like second nature to me , first pressing the second mouse, then the first, from other games. Maybe I should just hipfire and forget about aiming. I dunno, just something that shot into my mind
  4. Tommyp2006

At close range you're better off hipfiring, at med ranges and beyond is where you should be ADSing.
  5. Celludriel

I found this little gem in one of the complain posts about the servers being down

"Stalker cloaking isn't that effective, it's not hard to spot someone invisible regardless of having the dark-light. think of the cloak as a glorified gillie suit, rather tan full invisibility."

Well the guy might be right, BUT , have you ever seen a sniper take of his gillie suit before he fires on the enemy ? Having to decloak before firing is another big frustration for me. The game plays at massive speeds, unless your target is standing still for over 5 seconds , so you can line up your shot for that perfect headshot and even then you still have to worry about first pressing F to decloak before you can shoot. Those are s/ms you needed to actually take the kill, by the time you reached for F pressed it and then made sure you are still lined up the target has moved. Just let snipers shoot cloaked. Decloak them after the shot and make it impossible to recloack for I dunno 30 seconds ... would be more fun then having to miss shots now because you loose precious time pressing F
  6. ILoveLucy

7. Celludriel

Did she really sang , I spend ages giving head :) , still has a nice tempo to it :)
  8. Mianera

Actually, only the VS are sometimes a bit hard to see. Most of the type I spot first. As for the TK'ing, I really dislike the current system, so if someone steps in my line of fire while I am shooting at a enemy, I will mow him down with lead along with the enemy. I won't press "v" + "8" and apologize, I will laugh and teabag the friendly as well. If I get weapon lock? Psssh, so what, it's only for 3-5 minutes anyway, means I can take a smoke break.

That's the first time I see a VS complain about accuracy.... like ever. Are you high?

Different weapons give different damage at at different ranges with different dps. You can only compare this versus a same faction guy that you do some testing with. Also, skill plays a large factor. But so does latency/ping/ms.

Only headshots do a 1 hit kill and even in order for that, you need a BAR to pull of 1 hit kills. Semi-auto or scout rifle garbage won't kill with 1 hit. Also, possitioning and range plays a large role here, not just in terms of your kill potential but your survivability as well.

Uhm... if you want to do CQC you need a SMG or a Shotgun. Also I would strongly recommend Heavy assault for this. It seems like you know nothing about weapon control. You lose accuracy on a lot of weapons very quickly and you need to maintain burst control in order to make bullets hits. Also, horizontal and vertical recoil along with weapon spread plays a huge factor. If you don't know your weapon, how it reacts in different situations, how you need to account for its flaws with your mouse then yeah.... spray and pray wont get you anywhere in this game.

LOL, what did you expect, teamplay? You are messing around with random nubcakes that probably as little about the game as you do. Join a outfit, get on teamspeak, coordinate, listen to your squadleaders and you might get a different experience.

Dude... it's okay :) Don't worry about it, I can understand your pain here. I have a buddy just like you, honestly reading your thread was like listening to him on skype.

I think it has something to do with peoples gaming skills. Not in a bad way, however. Some people like myself, grew up with Half-Life, Doom, Counter Strike etc and we are FPS'ers at heart. We rock and headsnuff people, teabag them etc. My buddy fx, he grew up with RTS and RPG's. He rocks at games like Dragon Age, World of Warcraft etc where I for example feel completely lost. Frikken too many numbers and no aiming, man :/ Goddamn dice rolling.

But anyone can learn and if you wish to continue, I recommend finding a good outfit that will teach you, share some knowledge, recommend weapons and attachments for your class etc :)

But if I were you, I would completely ignore the the FPS aspect and throw my certs into a vehicle :D Besides, drag a friend or two into, gear up some vehicles and have some fun!
  9. WorldOfForms

OP, it's strange to me that you use "you" when describing your experience, as if we should all be able to relate to it (as in, "You nearly empty a clip in the enemy's back and he turns around and one-shots you").

The reality is the opposite. Very few of us can relate. I've been playing this came for over a year, and I have NEVER once unloaded "nearly and entire" clip into someone and they didn't die. So sorry, but I don't believe that is happening, unless perhaps you have a terrible internet connection and/or you are playing on a sever far away from where you live (where do you live, and what server are you on?).

I don't find myself missing 80% of my shots when I am aiming at someone. We are using the same guns, so how can it be the guns' problem?

Even if you say your claim of 30% aimbots is exaggerated, such an assertion is a red flag. If you really think there are cheaters frequently around you, it makes all of your other claims suspect. No wonder you think you're unloading entire clips at people and not getting kills.

I'm not trying to insult you, but this really sounds like you think you're better than you are. The rest of us aren't having the problem's you're having.

This game is weird at first. I played a lot of PS1 and was pretty good at it (3/1 k/d average) but when I played PS2 I was terrible at first. There are a lot of strange quirks to this game. Take the time to learn from your mistakes instead of thinking your opponent is hacking or your gun sucks. Most of the time if you die, it's your fault.
  10. Llaf

Judging from what you've described as your "frustrations", the conclusion I come to is that you lack experience and knowledge of planetside's metagame, or in laymans terms: how things work around here.

- Point 1 is solved by experience. Each faction has pretty different uniforms, although I will admit that camo sometimes blurs them together in the heat of the moment. Friendlies have "Dorito"(upside down triangle) markers above their head, which are blue by default, and can be changed. Enemies have red doritos by default, but only when spotted, otherwise they have nothing above their heads.

- Point 2 is again solved by experience. The starting LMG for the Vanu Sovereignty is considered to be one of, if not the best LMG in the entire game, the second you are referring to is the SVA-88, also good, and the Ursa is good as well. Your problem is experience, you need to play with the weapons in order to do well with them, other people do, so it's not the weapons fault.

- Point 3 is again, a result of lack of experience, you are losing because your accuracy is sub-par compared to veteran players you are likely going against. Play more and get better. 30% of players are not aimbotters, that is a huge number, there is absolutely no way.

- Point 4 is yet again... an experience issue. It's pretty obvious to a veteran player reading your post that you don't know how sniper rifles work in this game. In order to get a one-shot kill with a bolt-action rifle, you have to score a headshot. You'll know when you get a headshot when the hit marker has not only an X but a circle around the X. Without a headshot, it's a two-hit kill, or you can try to pick off injured players for one-hit body-shot kills.

- Point 5 is, you guessed it, lack of experience. Judging from what I've read in the previous points, even though you "unloaded an entire clip" into a guy and he still lived, I would guess that there was a high likely-hood that you missed more shots than you realized. It can take anywhere from 7 to 14 hits to kill someone with a weapon that deals 143 damage at close range.

- Point 6, yep, lack of experience. Honestly this happens to me too, it's just the nature of the game and yes it does get frustrating, but you learn to deal with it better the more you play. Best way to avoid flankers is to learn how not to over-extend, and the only way to learn that is to learn the metagame and the map.
  11. VoidMagic

Could be the OP just needs to drink some adult beverages and relax a bit. Not everyone is the best ultimate warrior of death and there are some very good players in this game.

Sounds like what it felt like to be new, bad and angry... eventually you become serene, happy and much better. lol.. well... I mean that's how it works for some of us... others... just get worse and angrier... I guess.
  12. Modern Ancestor

The big day has come something more than huge shows of difficult to understand videos of MLG guys doing what most players do all the time. With all due respect pay attention to this guy hes making a sense.

On top i understand your frustration and can say that things take bit more to learn. I know its lot to ask these days but im sure you will get better than you are now. Hell i did.:eek: So were not leaving you alone to face these problems, we are genuinely willing to help.

Just bear with us little longer there are problems yeah but nothing we cannot work out together right?
  13. Hiding in VR

You should definitely try another faction. In fact, given you have three free slots, you should definitely have one each. It may well be that you are more suited to a group other than NC. There is also a definite "new character" factor that kicks in when you roll a new. Mind you, VS weapons are pretty accurate. My VS character has a better KDR than my TR, so it might not be quite as straight forward.

But the best advice is to find a good outfit. Back in the day, I used to do more than hold my own on public Quake servers, so I kind of hoped I'd do okay at PS2. Sadly, whether its deteriorating reflexes, eye-sight, or just that PS2 is a very different game, I am struggling to get my KDR above 1 :( But playing with an Outfit helps. At the end of a session with my Outfit, my session KDR is usually twice what it is when I lone wolf.

So my advice, get an outfit :)
  14. Calisai

^ This. What you are describing is classic connection/lag/bad fps issues. It can be confusing to newer players who don't know what a good connection is like. (I used to play from a fiber connection in chicago... 10-20ms pings were real nice)... nowadays i'm stuck with Cable (70-90ms). I have the same experience when I play around with my Alt on Briggs. (I'm a Central US player)
    When you have a high ping or even high latency it feels like you can't kill anyone. FPSs are really sensitive to lag... by the time your screen shows you the guy, he's already been firing on his screen for half a clip. Suddenly, you're dead and can't figure out why.
    Check your ping and latency to the servers, there are plenty of forum posts on this issue in the bugs section. You may be having issues with your ISP & SOE servers talking with each other. It's one of the reasons that satellite internet are bad for playing FPSes with. Built in latency that will never go away (you always have to send those packets an extreme amount of distance).
  15. Marxsbeard

I feel this guy's pain. I started this game after an 8 year break from FPSers. Was a badass CS sniper in the day, so expected to kick some ***. My k/d was like 0.22. Now I can finally maintain 1-3 with some good streaks.

I think SOE should make an Indar clone that is only accessible to sub BR 20s. Skill ceiling + equipment + farmers = noob frustration. And shotguns, fresh meat packs, quizzes and death screens won't do a lot to fix that. A few weeks back I followed around fri night ops for ***** and giggles. 1337 clans were following them around farming. I later joined a squad that was bragging about doing the same. Gee, I wonder why this game has trouble keeping new players.
  16. PlatoonLeaderG

When i begun playing PS2 i was mostly a medic,not only i didnt have much experience with the game and FPS in general it was also my first time playing a FPS on pc.

Each day for the first month i was getting almost 1(2-3 if i was lucky) kills and 40+ deaths a session.It was a lot harder then,there werent VR training to test and all those rocket pods and especially air in the game was OP.

I might have died a lot but there wasnt a moment that i felt i didnt help my team,even if i was able to revive 1 guy i was glad because that guy will avenge me and so on.I kept going and after about 2-3 months i started learning to shoot back and getting some kills and oh boy i was happy.I still remember my first killstreak they were 2 innactive NC at their post but who cares its still a kilstreak.
    About that time i was getting 10-15 kills and around 35 deaths a session.I was wondering if i ever gonna get a positive k/d.
    Did i give up?No!

I was determined to get a positive k/d so i was playing it more safe i was using tanks and air and heck even maxes when i could,still i was getting screwed by better players with their tanks and air but i was getting more kills than i was playing infantry.So now i was mixing vehicles too,after some time i have learned many hiding spots,got better at using the environment and i was surviving against a lot better players using smart moves and a lot of tricky things,like putting claymores and shooting inside a building.You will get suprised how many fools will still rush to kill you and die from claymores,funny everytime!

Now after challenging a lot of good players and trust me on Mattherson there are a lot of VS beasts and recently there are also some very good NC players i have gained the experience i was lacking,i have become really good and now i m always getting positive k/d every session and i m trying to improve my overall k/d from when i was a very bad player.

The point i want to make is that you are not the only one that had hard time,all new players have hard time in PS2.PS2 is one of the best games in the market and also for free and trust me you will get good in time,in a long time if you are as bad as i were but if you dont play at least for 4 months of PS2 you still havent see anything PS2 can offer.

I dont even know if anyone will read all the wall of text but i got it out,my character is SupermanBatman on Mattherson and as you can see on my stats i m now closing to make my overall k/d a positive!
  17. Corporate Thug

I have had issues where I would have crap hit detection, like I could unload a whole clip into someone and get ZERO hit markers or my damage would be intermittent, like a few hit markers then the damage magically stops and the guy lives no matter how many more times I hit him. I did a reinstall and the problem was fixed, if re-logging doesn't help. Sometimes the issues were server specific, I could play on Connery and it be fine but not on Waterson which is closer to me... I have seen quite a few aim botters but since the majority of players are oblivious and only play indar where swift unexplainable deaths are the norm, many just don't notice fishy deaths nor the aimbotters, though 30% is an outrageously high accusation. Also, the best way to improve is to get away from those larger fights where most things are random and go to smaller ones (especially ones where you don't have majority pop) that will allow you to develop personal skill and you can clearly understand your deaths. Large groups of friendlies hinder your growth, you need to learn to rely upon yourself and your own skill to survive.
  18. Celludriel

Well most of you make some valid points. Especially about the lag and latency. However since I'm on broadband cable I kinda hope that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

When I bought this game over a year ago (well bought, I mean the alpha squad deal back then) I had different hopes for the game to begin with. I hoped it would play out differently with each faction trying to win "the war". By fighting over objectives like capture two continents. That this would happen over TS,Vent,Mumble, with several full platoons coordinating to strike or defend hexes on a macro scale. But it didn't turn out like this, there was no overencapsulating goal, you couldn't win anything. There wasn't any meaning (as far as you can have meaning in a game... well maybe in eve) to it.

I find it sad that this never seemed to happen. The metagame (I mean map control, not meta of weapons) was a severe dissapointment. However reading about the possible continent locking that would come tentavily in June (read this decennia). Rekindled my interest bringing me back to try it. Resulting in all these frustrations. Now I really hope that they bring meaning to the game in a sense where if you lock three continents you win "the war" and every participant gets a reward in certs (the only currency of value after all)
  19. blackboemmel

20. Celludriel

Well yesterday I tried the SV89 or whatever with a 6x scope instead of the reflex sight dot. I actually managed a few kills more, although the recoil like that is atrotious. Then again you can't expect a LMG to act as a sniper/LMG. However I wonder if it was worth it going semi auto with it, but even semi auto, the recoil was hell :( and I got even fewer kills. Another frustration added to the list. I miss the GR 1 days. I wonder how this game would play with that kind of gameplay.