Light Assault class its banned from competitive gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by terranhawk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. khai

If LA are not wanted in your outfit its a problem with your outfit leadership since they do have a useful purpose. The main problems are not with the class but those who play it trying to John Wayne their way through instead of being scouts, ambushing and most importantly spotting and taking out enemy ambushers. As to no LA in competitive play watch last weeks PAL pre-season there was some decent LA play in it.

match doesn't actually start until 20 minutes in.
  2. Posse

If you still don't understand the advantages the mobility of the LA gives to a squad, well, so be it, the day you play a competitive match with PAL or RCCC rules, you'll understand. As for public servers... cleaning towers with a roaming LA helps attackers, getting roof control in a Bio Lab in a tough fight is vital to victory, etc, etc.
  3. Modern Ancestor

I just use tank mines and sticky nade for Sundys dont even have C4 i feel so dirty.:( Just about only use i have for LA is getting on those high cliffs and top of Tech Plant to drop by at turret room.;)

Oh wait forgot Biolab rooftops with grenade bandolier.:p
  4. Prudentia

LA + 2xC4 + Jumppad shoting you in the generel direction of your target in a maximum distance of 1000m of your target = Dead target 100% of the time
    you can get to Capture points, throw a flash nade in, go in and C4 everyone and kill the remaining enemies with a shotgun/CQC Carbine, half a squad of light assaults and you can even save the Rez for C4 and just gun down 1-2 squads of enemies defending the point.
  5. KAHR-Alpha

The reason for that is so obvious I'm surprised no one mentionned it yet: LAs can be great, but unless your LA is a monster killmachine with a K/D of 30 he's going to die sooner or later on some roof out of reach of any medic. A dead LA is a useless LA.
  6. Alarox

In my outfit we use LAs for competitive matches. They're effective.

If our enemies don't use them then community clash will be easy mode compared to our scrims.
  7. Dahwhatsdat???

I'm sorry but any squad/platoon leader who asks his subordinates to forgo playing light assault in lieu of a "real class" is gimping himself. Light assault is and alway has been an extremely effective killer. Sometimes even more so then heavy assault. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise is just plain wrong and needs to play the class for awhile so that they can see just how much light assaults contribute.
  8. Aegie

I think I do understand the advantages but I think I am also more willing to discuss the disadvantages and limitations.
  9. SuperMedicated

never killed by c4? no, the rest? yes... If you are zooming in a target and standing still you are just doing it wrong. you aren't supposed to do that
  10. Mianera

Uhm... no. Heavies, Engies and Infils kill LA's easily in open spaces. Honestly, just from reading that statement I already question your knowledge and experience with this game :/ That is really a silly thing to say.

I believe you seem to think that this is a matter of opinion and not a statement of fact. But if that's the case, please do tell me how a LA stands out better in a direct firefight or at taking down vehicles (and aircraft) in comparison to the HA? Oh, that's right, you can't.

Don't even try saying you can sneak up on a tank or parked sundy and take it down with C4. Any skilled driver will be guarding his vehicle properly and won't let you do. And the heavy can also carry C4 in addition to AA/AV launchers.
    Even when you see a LA take down a sundy crucial to the fight, the first 10 attempts failed and he died. So K/D 0,1. Not impressive.

lastly, this is a discussing about competitive play, not the noobsaucing you typically see on live servers. On live servers a naked guy with a rusty knife is viable ffs.

That is the lamest statement ever. Any encounter with a enemy player where you see him and he doesn't see you, should basically be a free kill since you have the shot of opportunity. But if your target is a HA, this becomes tricky.

But you will encounter those good HA's, even on live servers, that right after the first shot, activate shield, turn around and kill you.

Too many factors to take into account, range, weapon stats and attachments included not to mention hit spray during the encounter. And if you're honestly saying that a HA, which you spot first, is easier to kill, in competitive play than any other class then you truly lack experience in this game.

Bold statement, especially since you didn't research it and just made a assumption. Have a look into it mate.

That is pure ignorance. The outfits I am in are always the ones pulling the leading stuff during the alerts which indirectly nearly always leads to victory. They are damn good, great communication on TS and amazing leaders. I think saying that is a huge insult to a lot of players.

I find it "terribad" of you to be delusional about the facts of gameplay mechanics. The LA class has been on topic for a long time now, still is and a big revamp is coming. Why do you reckon that is?

Let me tell you this, it's not because people find it boring. Or aren't able to kill anything, like I mentioned earlier. A good player can make any weapon viable but the class is limited and currently underpowered. That is undeniable. So letting out garbage like that makes me assume that you are nothing but a troll.

What? You do realize the LA has the exact same health/shield stats as the Medic and Engi, right? How exactly then is it harder to kill a LA? Cuz you need to look a little upwards cuz the LA's on the roof? And if the LA is flying, the cof is so bad it wont hit anything anyway.

Isn't this thread about competitive play? Dude, on live servers the a smoke grenade, the sun or a random rock can cause complete panic. What the hell are you even talking about?

Rofl no frikken doubt about that!

How? And for the example you are about to mention, how does it fill the role better than a Engi, Medic, Infil or HA in that specific example?

Now let me make something clear to the rest of you. I have mained 2 LA's on 2 factions, tried different weapon setups. Even though, they are my most cert invested characters, I mostly find myself playing as Heavy, Engineer or Medic.

Because vehicles, because aircrafts, because res, because repair...... BECAUSE TEAMPLAY.

I'm not bashing the LA. I believe it needs a major buff and a bigger/more roles to fill on the battlefield. It needs more survivability for a start.
  11. Hiding in VR

Change outfits?
    • Up x 1
  12. Larolyn

LA is actively encouraged within our outfit. They can gain access to shooting positions unavailable to any other class, they can move across the battlefield in a stealthier manner than infiltrators due to the many hidey places available and peoples general inability to look up. Squad leads as LAs can get beacons where no other class can and can guarantee a safe beacon for quite some time.

Playing LA forces you to approach the battle with more caution and choose you battles to your advantage and knowing when it's time to back off and wait for a better engagement. LAs have access to 2 bricks of C4 and can gib any vehicle besides a sundy, lib and gal (2 bricks only set a Lib on fire annoyingly enough) and with access to the higher ground, they will ruin a tankers fun.

LA is a specialized class which requires knowledge of a base layout as well as the need for high situational awareness. I farm as well get farmed a lot on my LA. Sometimes it all just comes together perfectly, sometimes I am just the victim of LAs who are plain better than me. And oddly enough, LA is my 2nd highest scoring class behind my engi. I do better with my LA than with a medic, heavy, infiltrator or MAX. The LA has amazing potential in the right hands.

As an outfit mate put it the other day "having good LAs running around, is like having good air coverage". LAs can do A LOT to affect the flow of battle. My one and only complaint is lack of access to medkits and C4 at the same time. I always run C4 as it is just simply the better option in 90% of my engagements.

If your outfit is discouraging LAs, go to a bio lab, make everyone pull a LA and see how the battle flow is immediately effected by having the coverage of a squad of LAs dominating the rooftops. And find me a tower fight where LAs will not only gain access to the tower faster than anyone else, they will also carve a path through the enemies letting the friendlies enter the tower too.

TL;DR: LAs are highly competitive. Give them a chance and experiment with them.
    • Up x 1
  13. faykid

Spawn beacon
  14. terranhawk

glad to see they have some use in combat apart from placing beacons thanks for posting that video
  15. Ronin Oni

Flanking IS a competitive role...

A team without good flanking is going to get bogged down and out maneuvered far too easily.

You're basically saying the only competitive option is brute forcing through stand-offs with MAX/HA rushing.
  16. Mastachief

Wrong.
  17. Catch23

PS2 is simple as this:

In any halfway balanced fight it comes down to which faction loses their most dangerous players first due to logging-out or re-locating.

Why do these players leave battles before they have actually turned?

Because they are likely to be competitive and don't like to die multiple times, especially to the same guy.

So Maxes effectively decide alot of fights but if you are good at infantry killing as a LA, you are extremely valuable because you make other players quit the fight. Most top players will leave after 2-3 consequtive deaths to the same enemy.

tl;dr:

Support doesn't win fights, making others quit the fight by killing them does, the more you do so by jumping them the better. Psycholgical warfare. A slam dunk sometimes is worth more than 2 points
  18. Mustarde

First off, you and the OP clearly haven't actually played in any competitive PS2 matches. LAs do get used, but as with all classes, in moderation. HA and medic are the backbone of most squads, with the other classes as support. For example, I'm the only infil for NNG - does that mean the class is useless? NO! It just means out of 24 players we don't need more than 1.

You dismiss possee's opinions, but perhaps you should do a little research - as he plays for DasAnFall, who is active in CommClash and has been competitive for a long time in this game. They have Vonic on the roster - if you have ever doubted the power of light assault, look him up and watch his stream or videos and prepare to learn something.

All I see in this thread are people who really just want to fjnd a way to ask for a buff to a class that is already powerful enough. LA's could use more diversity, but not power. They ARE used in competitive play. And outfits that ban their use on live server are either focused on a single style of play (say, an AV nest which doesn't need LA), or they are just terrible outfits that Zerg all of the platoon onto a single waypoint and call it strategy.

To the OP, I say ditch your outfit or just ignore their orders to switch class. Show them why LA is effective or let them keep being bad while you find an outfit worth it's salt. And the videos of competitive play leave out so much of the battle ( understandably) so you are probably not seeing 80% of what is happening on the field. I made a short highlight vid from last weeks NNG vs SG match, none of which ever was noticed by the stream. That's just the nature of our limited observer options right now.

• Up x 1
  19. Astriania

LA is a very situational class, and many of those situations are less common in competitive play than on Live. LAs flanking, taking out beacons, getting onto the roof in biolabs or up on comm towers and shooting people from unexpected angles are all very valuable situational roles which come up on Live quite often, as well as C4-fairying.

Flanking and beacon-killing is a rarer situation in competitive play, because there's only a couple of squads of enemies and they're in a known position. Killing armour is also rarer in CC. So it's understandable that in general LA is less used there. But it certainly has a role and I'd expect some CC matches to see LAs used.

An outfit which proscribes it on Live is just being stupid, there are many more situations in unbalanced or public combat when LAs are a good option.
  20. Longasc

Just shows that C4 is better than any other form of anti-tank weapon in Planetside 2 and that is IMO very very much.

LA's just drop more C4 than pigeons ****, both being very annoying.