[Guide] Strengths of each ESF (thinly veiled balance complaint).

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pixelshader, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Pixelshader

Mosquito: This esf is good at being mediocre.
    Reaver: This esf sucks, so it is the most baller esf.
    Scythe: Best at everything except having tolerable engine noise.
  2. Ubad00d

Great, more of what these forums need. Unjustified blanket statements which aren't backed up at all, just someone's raging opinion.

To supplement your non informative post...

Scythe - best at longer ranges due to it's highest speed nosegun and smallest/flat hit box. The scythe is not best at everything.
    Mossy - Aside from its cruising speed I don't really see any strength it has over the scythe, it has a relatively small hitbox compared to the reaver.
    Reaver - The reaver does not suck. Seriously. It's high DPS weapons plus really nice V thrust (do not underestimate its V thrust) makes for some nice close and hover dogfight kills. The AB tanks are underrated as well. Biggest hit box yes, I'll get to that.

So in terms of long range hover dogfights with the default nose cannon: Scythe>Mossy>Reaver
    But honestly, how many times do you have uninterrupted 1v1 hover fights on the live server? IMO, reavers have really nice advantages on the live server due to their huge close range DPS.

Just so you know I'm not pulling these opinions out my ***...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5zV3NaU2JzU2FTV1daSW5rTnc&usp=drive_web#gid=5

Obviously there are different situations where each one shines.

Now some subtle changes which I think would achieve perfect balance.

Scythe - I think it having the smallest hitbox + highest velocity nosegun is what makes it so good. I say change the hitbox to be more in line with the mossy.
    Mossy - In order to keep with the factional flavours whilst giving it a small buff, give the needler 10 more bullets max, so it would go to 95 (?) in a mag now.
    Reaver - Meh, I think it's alright where it is. I love flying the reaver and people complain about it for no reason. If anything, slightly reduce the hitbox size.

Before anyone comes in the thread giving uninformed blanket statements like "but the reaver is sooo slow and not maneuverable that its likke a flieing brick lol!!1" All ESFs have the same yaw/roll/pitch.
    • Up x 3
  3. Dead soldier

Mossie: Farming 101
    Scythe: Hover fight king
    Reaver: funnest to fly and and good for jumping with vortek
  4. Sixstring

My only problem with the Reaver is the GIGANTIC engine/box thrusters on the back,it's totally unnecessary just remove that huge thing and replace it with something cooler looking and more streamlined. I like the look of the reaver itself but the other two esf's don't have anything like the reavers hitBOX.
  5. Pixelshader

pretty much all day every day on briggs, which is why the scythe is my only real choice if i don't want to **** myself

they're never going to change the hitbox so don't even bother suggesting it, the most elegant solution is simply to return the scythe to having the worst bullet velocity
  6. IamnotAmazing

mossie: good at sucking
    scythe:mlg hoverfight swag
    reaver: dps wins again
    • Up x 1
  7. Merlock

Reaver is fun and I love it ! only thing that I want to be buffed with the reaver is AB cap. and refill time. Only the speed isn't much of an advantag for an ESF that needs to fight in CQC.

Other than that <3 the reaver. Oh remove the grey lines from the recent art patch, don't fit on every camo.
  8. GaBeRock

Mossie is great for banshee/ab/racer frame shenanigans. The rotary could use a clip size buff though, as it has barely more DPM than the vortek, but substantially inferior DPS. NC can keep hard hitting, we just want more dakka.
    • Up x 1
  9. AssaultPig

I think the reaver hitbox complaints are kinda overblown tbh

mostly I just think the mossie's should be a little bit bigger
  10. missionAvs

My two cents. I started my ESF flying with the TR Mossie. IMO the Mossie is the weakest of the 3 ESF's and is the one that needs most love. I think a buff to the M18 Rotary and maybe a slight buff to V-thrust would be sufficient. M18 buff doesn't even have to be DPS related, it can be maybe a larger clip size or something of the sort.

I don't fly the Mossie much now as I have made an NC alt and am really enjoying the Reaver. IMO it's the funnest of the ESF's to fly. I love it's awesome V-thrust and my only slight complaint is the large hit box associated with it. I also think that the Vortek could do with an increased ammo count, not necessarily mag size but more so the reserve ammo.

As far as the Scythe is concerned. I don't have much experience flying this ESF so most of my comments come from my time fighting against them. IMO the Scythe hitbox is a bit of a problem in 1v1 duels but my biggest complaint is the nose gun bullet velocity. I think it's too high on the Scythe and it's one of the few things I noticed in my limited time flying one. I think either increasing the hitbox or lowering bullet velocity would suffice to balance it against other ESF's.

Like I said, thats my two cents for what it's worth.
  11. Ganjis

I think it would be fair to increase the scythe's anterior/posterior hitbox if a corresponding reduction occurred on its ventral/dorsal hitbox.
  12. Antivide

Reaver is fine other than the kind of ridiculous hitbox.

It's really freaking easy to hit, a gigantic box on all sides.
  13. Pixelshader

what for? the mosquito is not even close to overpowered
  14. Kurohagane

The scythe is the best in direct fighting, especially at ranges, possibly slightly worse than a reaver at close range, but outside of that it's meh or just sucks.

The reaver is really well balanced and polished i feel, and it's stats seem to be very complementary and well designed. It doesn't really have any major flaws except the hitbox everyone talks about, but i personally don't feel much difference at all when flying a reaver. Other than that, it's got ****** cockpit view, but it's something that isn't really as big of a disadvantage at all, especially during fights.

The mosquito is like the devs going "i dunno lol" and slapping on some stats and perks good by themselves, but that make absolutely no sense when coupled together. Thus it's kinda meh/alright at everything.
  15. Wizz

Fixed. I hate to be the dick to say it, but Briggs has possibly the worst pilots in this game, and your air game is lacking in all areas that aren't VS from what I remember. Fly on servers that have good all around pilots on all factions, and you'll see that things even out pretty well.
  16. Pixelshader

i really don't care how things pan out on a grand scale, that is how soe does things and i hate it. the details are lost in the chaos, and we end up with ****** high end balance because there's a blanket of cluster****ery hiding the finer points

you can go rush people in a scythe and it's no worse off than the reaver, the vortek is not truly worth the brick it comes on. even at 100m you have to reload if your enemy is facing you

things even out 'pretty well', but i want better. i want balance worthy of a fps, not a mmo. seeing as this is a mmo i'll probably never get it, but that's no reason not to provide feedback in the form of endless obnoxious complaint
  17. Wizz

I don't think I've ever played a game where things are perfectly balanced. I'm sorry but rushing a reaver as a scythe is suicide when the reaver pilot is good, but switch the rules and it can work out well. The vortek is very worth the brick it comes in. Scythes major advantage is distance. Reavers is cqc. In my book you're coming off as a low to mid tier pilots who gets frustrated at not being able to understand it. Also, in a 1v1 scythe has an advantage. There is nothing wrong with that. In a 2v2and up scythe loses that advantage. Balance. I cannot stress how much the FCRW vs DA match proved the fact that scythes suck in group fights. Whoever had VS was destined to lose the air advantage.
  18. Pixelshader

we'll just have to fight about it then
  19. TheBand1t

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Up x 2
  20. Wizz

It's not much of a fight when my side has video evidence on how bad the scythe is from CC, my experience with all the ESF's, and my knowledge that you're absolutely a mediocre pilot from the PTS duels we've had. You cannot balance around the lower tier players as it throws real balance off horrendously.