Low level areas?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AirborneKiller, Apr 19, 2014.

1. AirborneKiller

Just started the game. Currently F2P until my account becomes all-access. Haven't purchased any maps.

Is there anywhere to play that is for low level characters? I have a battle rating of 4 and I'm fighting against people in the 50s and 70s. Looking for a newbie area or lowbie area, something like that.

I'm getting some kills, but I am totally out-matched when it comes to firepower.
  2. CEGrif

there are no low level BR area's
    • Up x 1
  3. TotalFan

Unfortunately there are no low-level areas. I'd recommend playing a support class (Engineer or Medic) until you can get certs into your classes. I did that for a while (I also had terrible Frames per Second so 1v1'ing people was a no-go) and made my way up to a survivable level relatively quickly.
    • Up x 2
  4. Regpuppy

You don't purchase maps, all game effecting content can be had for free.

No, there's no place for low level characters. But the power gap isn't ridiculously huge like in RPG levels. Getting into a good outfit and working on your situational awareness will do more than more focused weapons ever could. What those BR 50+ players have on you is experience and, if you're new to FPS, twitch/aiming skills. They'd still be giving you trouble with fresh BR 1 characters.

In short, it's a learning curve you're hitting. Stick with it and you'll get better at it. Even if you're familiar with FPS games, the information you're bombarded with and the amount of needed situational awareness needed for PS2 is extremely high for an FPS.
    • Up x 2
  5. ColonelChingles

There's not really a low-level area. Also no maps (everyone gets those for free when they make a new one) so you don't need to waste money to purchase them!

If you're getting killed by enemies, you can try the age old method of superiority in numbers. For example, find a group of people who are moving together. Stay behind them and follow them. Shoot at anything they shoot. Be a Medic and pick up any wounded.

In that way you don't get taken out when you're one-on-one. Being a Medic is also a very profitable way to earn certs if you aren't good at shooting people yet.

More or less weapons in this game are reasonably balanced*... and superior positioning will generally win you more fights than whether you had one assault rifle or another. PS2 subscribes to the idea of "sidegrades", where in theory weapons should be different but equally effective instead of upgrades where one weapon completely outclasses another.

So over time you'll learn to join up with a squad/platoon, the layouts and methods to assault/defend bases, and you might even get into vehicle operation. So have fun!

*As far as balancing 3-way weapons can be. :p
  6. AirborneKiller

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll keep at it and see how it goes.
  7. IamDH

Higher levels do not get straight upgrades from lower levels so i dont think you'll struggle. I think you just need to work on situational awareness to get used to the scale of the game and you'll be fine. USE DAT MINIMAP
    • Up x 2
  8. JudgeDeath

9. Kurohagane

Every weapon is a sidegrade in this game, with maybe certain specialization or such. Only certifications affect your power, but those that work in direct combat aren't very game-changing (like upgraded armor giving you barely few percent additional resistance, etc). The only area where this might not be true is vehicles, but infantry v infantry, battle rank de facto does not matter at all. You just need to get used to the game.
  10. Captain Kid

You will have to suck it up till you're level 40, takes only 400 hours. Then you have some more options at your disposal.
    Weapons you will be better of buying with money. The NS weapons are nice and unlock for all empires.

Everybody else here will say default weapons are fine. Meanwhile they themselves have access to all the weapons. Default weapons means you won't have a weapon for shorter or longer range. Or a weapon which better suits your aiming style. (for example I do very well with the easy to use NS weapons, cant use weapons with recoil.)
  11. Dibola

Also join a active clan outfit if you want the most fun. The people who don't are usually the ones whining about how boring and hard the game is.
  12. Spude

Yeah, Crowns northern mountain path.
    • Up x 1
  13. S7rudL

There is actually always a low level area for people that are not that good at fps or believe to not have a good enough gear to compete at the front lines. : D

As suggested, grab an engineer or medic, preferably an engineer and stay at the background of the battle to die less, repair stuff, observer the battle and watch certs flow in.

When in doubt, repair.
    In 1 hour you can make 30 certs (12 via login and cert ribbons included).

In cssource you had a better time if you waited for everyone to run ahead and then you poked/probed certain positions instead of diving in head first only to be killed in a matter of seconds each round, its a discipline not to overextend. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  14. IamDH

Call Of Duty

• Up x 2
  15. iller

Have ya tried Waterson? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hossin & the "You can't play this map now" Maps will DLC themselves later, don't worry about having to queue them...

Lulz
    • Up x 1
  16. KAHR-Alpha

Actually, you're not. Believe it or not, but the basic weapons are all pretty good.
  17. Caserion

There is no matchmaking here, every person no matter the skill level is thrown onto the server to do whatever they want. Sometimes you face new players, sometimes those BR100's who've played the game for so long they can read your mind...

Eventualy you'll learn the game, as anyone has. Took me 30 levels to finally somewhat understand the game.

Also, it's more about skill level that other players having better gear. I still use my T1cycler that i started with, because it is pretty much the best overall weapon if you don't want to specialize.
  18. Astriania

Welcome to PS2, hope you enjoy it! Weapons are generally sidegrades, and you can do well with the starting weapons, though you might want to buy some optics for some of them. (I'm running HS/NV on most of mine at the moment.)

Vehicle and suit slot certifications are straight upgrades, and you should cert into those in your preferred classes for at least a few levels (probably nanoweave).

There's no low level area but that's fine because you can have success in support roles and you can kill a BR100 if you get in a superior situation against them. More than most MMOs, Planetside rewards skill and experience of the player, rather than character progression.
  19. Astriania

That's a lot less true since everyone gets a shotgun unlocked for free (short range). Most of the default non-shotgun weapons are decent in mid-range, at least.
  20. MasterCheef

default weapons are fine. The only reason I don't use the default weapon now is because use my play style has evolved to compensate for the drawbacks of other weapons.

As an LA, I had to learn when to close in on someone in order to use SMGs effectively. I wouldn't be nearly as effective as a new player. The trac5 is the perfect weapon to get acclimated to the game as an LA. It's an all around weapon. By the time you want to specialize, you should have enough saved up for another weapon. I could use my trac5 today and still not really miss anything.