why I like the NAR nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GaBeRock, Apr 16, 2014.

1. GaBeRock

By changing NAR to be a 12 second cooldown across each level, SOE has reduced the equipment based gap between new players and more experienced players. This is what SOE should have done to begin with, instead of shortening the skill gap (*cough*coyotes*cough*). Opinions?
  2. Linheru

Auto Repair is supposed to leave you in a repaired state for the -next- fight, not heal you up in the current one. Change is fine imo.
    • Up x 2
  3. teks

because you are a esf pilot not a tanker.
  4. Kafein

I don't like this change as it will increase the downtimes between the action. It's very uncommon that NAR has any impact during a fight anyways. The only scenario that I can see that happening frequently is two bad lib crews exchanging dalton misses.

I think the problem stems from the fact that there's very little point using anything else on ESF, libs, MBT and lightnings than NAR. Surviving for long periods while getting a steady stream of kills is not very hard in vehicules, hence why the defence slot that capitalizes on that is arguably the best.
    • Up x 1
  5. GaBeRock

It also reduces the equipment based gap between new and old tankers. Or would your rather they add tank-to-tank tank seeking missiles?
  6. Silus

How about the ability to bug out, dodging everything not-heat-seeking and come back at full health after getting the crap kicked out of you?
  7. teks

12 seconds on an esf was legit. good ESFs could evade fire enough for it to kick in.
    Not even vanguards can dodge shots for 12 seconds. The nanorep had no effect on engagements for tanks.

An esf has to spend a good hunk of time flying back to safety in order to repair, so nanorep is a great option to take an occasional shot and continue fighting even with 12 seconds
    A tank can repair from cover between engagements reletively easily. while avoiding fire for 12 seconds just to let a slow repair kick in is unfeasable.

ESF battles often take a good amount of time. ESFs may withdraw from the battle, and come back in easily.
    Tank battles are short affairs. Normally they are over in under 10 seconds. Either you killed the threat or you are dead. Tanks cant disengage very easily even against infantry.

You may be right about the new player vs vet thing, but the entire point is overshadowed by the fact that 12 seconds is far too lang for a tank to actually see any use out of nano weave. An esf, sure, not a tank. Nanoweave is effectively a waste of certs for tanks as of now.
  8. GaBeRock

That compensates for 3000 hp and taking damage from everything that's not a combat knife. This also affects tanks less because tankers can just get out, repair, get in, and keep driving.
  9. GaBeRock

If it's a waste now, wasn't it always a waste?
  10. teks

8 seconds of nanoweave was not a waste. now that the speed was by nerfed 50% it is. Dodging dumbfires for 8 seconds for nanoweave was feasable. Dodging them for 12 is not.

Its not a small nerf. 8 seconds to 12 is a lot...or was it 9 seconds? I forget. still huge.

We can't just fly away...
  11. Govedo13

The flat 12 sec thing is idiotic. One cannot compare ESF with tank in terms of survivability.
    In the same fashion that one cannot compare MBT chance to get hits with Lightning chance to get hits, Lightning is smaller and faster, same comparison could be made for Galaxy,Liberator and ESF.
    The 12 sec should count only for the flash,harasser,lightning and ESF because they profited unfairly from the old NAR depending on their mobility to trigger it faster.

At the same time Sunderrer, MBT, Liberator and Galaxy should keep the older NAR 8 seconds.
    The same seconds per rank is also idiotic, there is no logic behind it, if I can trigger NAR then the percentage difference that is repaired is more or less insignificant on the said smaller vessels.

The bigger the vehicle the more is impacted by this idiocy, namely Galaxies,MBTs and Sunderrers are double nerfed.
    Once because of the longer trigger times that in practice does not affect faster vehicles.
    Secondly because they must cert NAR to last level considering their bigger health pool while the faster vehicles could have the same nearly results with one or two ranks only.
    SOE lack of understanding of simple mathematics and how the stuff actually take damage over time in game is astonishing.
  12. lothbrook

SOE only makes special rules for the air guys, looking at fire suppression and composite armor, lol. Everyone else just eats nerfs aimed at them because reasons.
  13. GaBeRock

Maybe campaigning for a flat 10s on ground vehicles would work.
  14. Hader

I am not entirely against the change. The 12 seconds isn't too bad, when you look at alone. It might be a bit much, but I don't think it will affect how I fly too much, or at least too often.

What I have a problem with is the reason for the change and the lack of complimentary changes. Why nerf NAR? To make the other options more feasible? Well, it doesn't do that. I won't stop running NAR. Composite armor does jack **** for me in an A2A build and stealth still won't help me much against good, aware pilots. So despite being nerfed NAR is still ideal for pretty much A2A loadout I go with and still fine in any other loadout.

Composite Armor and Stealth need a little something more to be competitive with NAR for certain loadouts/roles. Maybe make composite armor resist flak up to 50% and small arms to 25%? Stealth reduce lockon time even more? Specifics don't matter too much but the point is each slot choice should be able to have something that allows it to stand on its own and be a viable option for at least a few specific loadouts and roles. Nerfing NAR doesn't bring the other options to a competitive level at all.
    • Up x 2
  15. teks

A player had to invest around 200 certs to get nanoweave to 10 seconds in the first place. its not exactly fixing this skill gap in the ground game.
  16. DevDevBooday

Coyotes?
    Coyotes are lowering the skill gap?

We have Tomcats!
    They do all the work for you, how are they skilled?;
  17. GaBeRock

tomcats do take less skill, but unlike coyotes, tomcats weren't explicitly added with the intention of lowering the skill it takes to dogfight (they just do that on accident.)
  18. GaBeRock

going to 8s for all ranks is a buff nanoweave wouldn't need, and 12 seconds is apparently too slow, which is why I suggested 10 seconds across all ranks for ground vehicles.
  19. teks

I tried the coyote. I shot it at an ESF and he didn't instantly die. It probably needs a buff :D.
  20. Mongychops

Making it kick in at the same time for each rank is a good idea, but I think they should have made it 10 seconds for ground vehicles. I tend to rely on it quite heavily in my Magrider, but I'll have to see how it actually works.
  21. teks

Its not really a buff. Its just not nerfing something that was fine for ground. Were still talking about whether we like the nanoweave afterall. We can conclude with your suggestion that air would like it and ground would hate it. That pretty much wraps thing up. There is no skill gap for nanoweave in the ground game. they have no effect on direct battles. This change had ESFs in mind, not tanks.
    I'm not trying to say your wrong, because I agree with your assessment on its impact in the air game, but I did want to bring up a different perspective to show why alot of people are upset about it.

To me, this is very similiar to the prox radar change. Oh, its great...for MBTs. The change made no sense at all for lightnings though, and it completely screwed us.