[Suggestion] Do not give the harasser back its durability or damage.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoki, Apr 12, 2014.

1. MongooseTwoFive

I agree about the vulcan, which I think is why the nerfhammer came down as hard as it did. I feel like toning down the weapons was the most important aspect of the nerf.

The harasser should be fast, it allows the vehicle to have a high skill ceiling if you're smart. Harassers who came right at me in the open were usually toasted pretty quickly, but smart harasser drivers would come launching over small hills to attack and then break my LOS again giving me maybe a second or two to try and get a shot off on them. If I did get a hit on them, by the time I came around whatever they had ducked behind for cover they'd have either bolted away to safety or rumble-seat repaired themselves (another aspect of the nerf which was absolutely necessary).

I also agree that there are a bunch of tankers without gunners, which is dumb. I usually don't even bother with my MBT if I don't have a friend online because the mag is so weak without a gunner and I tend to have awful luck with random gunners trying to hit a mosquito three hexes away while there's a LA gently gliding in my general direction.

TL DR version: Yep, overkill nerf. Give them back some speed, and a bit more armor. As it is they're like fast-moving cert pimples that pop if you look at them sternly.
    • Up x 2
  2. Klypto

I personally had absolutely no problems with the harasser after the first nerf to composite armor. My only gripe was not with performance but that it's wreckage still flips or blows up my tank when they suicide ram me or that when push comes to shove they somehow are able to shove my 60-70 ton tank dozens of meters.

The original harasser concept with full composite armor was insane taking twice as long to blow up compared to a MBT but that was about it. The additional sledgehammer nerfs seemed completely unnecessary.

I'm very disappointed that I don't see harassers much anymore.

This is coming from someone who has had 0 certs or hardly any usage time in a harasser.
    • Up x 4
  3. Hoki

You both clearly didn't read the thread and have a broken logic gate in your brain, cause your first comment about the incompatibility of my stating they are hard to hit, along with suggesting that if you do not want to die, then keep moving, complement each other perfectly.

I do want the mobility reinstated, I do not want their durability, repair, or damage reinstated.

I pull harassers for transport primarily. Comparing our kdrs and time played is pointless.

And to everyone else suggesting that you need to primary a vehicle in order to form an opinion, I don't have time to address such horse****. Ain't nobody buying what you're selling but have fun drinking your own koolaid.

And prenerf harassers were easy to hit? If you suck at evasive driving maybe. User error. But keep in mind the new slower projectiles.

But please peeps keep downplaying how hard it was to hit a harasser, I can't discredit you guys as well as you can on your own.
  4. FaLI3N

Sorry but this comes off as kind of personal. I tanked more during the glory days of the harasser and I found them easy to land hits on, despite whatever maneuvers they used to try and mess me up. That was with FPC as well, the lowest projectile velocity of all the AP cannons. The same can be said in reverse, if you can't hit them in your tank then that is down to user error.
    • Up x 2
  5. WycliffSlim

I think I died to one Harasser in a 2/2 MBT when I wasn't already at low health. And that was when they were really powerful. It was a Vulcan harasser that got the jump on me and I was at half health before I even knew he was there. Other than that I had no problem dealing with Harrasser and if there were 2-3 attacking me... Well played, I'm not outnumbered 3 to 1 it could be 3 AP lightnings and I'd be just as dead.
    • Up x 1
  6. Klypto

I would have to say the same. Of course, I also have higher velocity so even hitting them trying to dodge shells at medium to long distance range isn't as nearly as hard as pegging an ESF. I think the issue is more of the prowler 2-shot is much more difficult to consistently hit a moving target, but that's just a theory as I've never fought Harassers in a prowler.
    • Up x 2
  7. Hoki

Don't give me that **** rak. You contradict yourself enough on camera. Get your story straight john kerry.
  8. FaLI3N

Prowlers had it easier or harder depending on their playstyle. Easier if they played like a good AV tanker with stealth and flanking because they didn't need to deal with the vulcan harassers and were more likely to catch them off-guard putting the harasser on the defensive. Worse if they locked down facing spawn rooms etc because it made it easier to predict where their rear armor would face and get more shots in before they could turn.

With that being said however they had pre-nerf lockdown back then so if you couldn't hit a harasser with that massive velocity increase then I don't know what to say.I also had a lot of practice hitting ESF before the harasser came out so I guess they were simple to peg relative to what I was used to hitting.
  9. Flag

To us, you obviously don't want the harasser to be useful for anything except transportation.
    Your ideas of what the harasser should be is very different from what we believe it should be.
    And it's obvious you want a neutered and amputated kitten and not the panther it could be (yay for cat comparisons).

We're done.
    • Up x 4
  10. FaLI3N

You aren't doing yourself any favors Hoki, don't let emotions get in the way of what is meant to be a discussion.
    • Up x 2
  11. tZonkD

IMO the harasser as in a good place before the mega-nerf; could have used less AP resistance and likely should have had either less health pool or no rumble repair. What bums me out the most is that its now borderline useless for everything, AV, AI and AA. It should, at the very least, least been allowed to do well in one category; as it stand now its just an expensive flash with an extra seat.

At its peak popularity i rarely had major problems with them in a situation where there would it have been a steep uphill battle anyhow. Then on the other hand when i lonewolf or play with just a friend or two i consider it fair game that any similar sized force can counter me. I suspect much crying abt the old harasser was due to how well it worked to outflank lone/few vehicles and players. Now that it's lost spot as top flanker ppl cry over libs & esf instead when they basically do that job. go figure.

I dont expect anything much from the harasser buff. The way i see it, it will either be "too much" (eg actually make it worth pulling again and subsequently get nerfed) or just an empty token buff. The sensible thing to do would be to remove it from the game and refund its certs; then work WITH (liberator refresh patch anyone?) the community to add something actually acceptable by most.

As for the OT: If you don't give it back any damage OR durability, what the should it get? More comfy drivers chair? Its still somewhat fun to roll around in, but in terms of effectiveness, strapping C4 to a flash and ram it into sth is far more effective (and cheesy). If its NOT supposed to be a fighting vehicle, why the wide array of weapons and what of all the certs/sc ppl spent on them?

EDIT: And i just cant resist.. Vulcan was never great for me. I never saw a vulcan harasser doing anywhere near as well ah a halberd one given similar skilled crews. Where was all those mysterious god-like vulcan crews? i sure never saw one.
  12. Hoki

I don't mean to sound emotional. Text gonna be text. But rak will brag about his exploits and complain about it not being good enough in the same breath.

I mean we have him on film talking about what you could do with their old maneuverability, and now even bad tankers had no problem hitting them.. he's entitled to his opinion, whenever he decides what it is.
  13. ObtuseCanadian

I think after the multitude of hours that Rak has put into the game and the hours that he has put into the harasser that he is way more qualified to talk than most of us. And yeah, he can talk about how good harassers were, and say that they are not that good anymore...nothing wrong there.

The whole point of this discussion is that the harasser takes skill (and lots of time) to be good at. When you get good, you beat those who aren't as good (yes even MBTs). Just because you are a Main Battle Tank, doesn't give you the right to live against an "inferior" vehicle. If you can't hit a harasser and he can hit you, guess what, you are going to die. That fact doesn't make it OP, just that the harasser team is better in that vehicle than you are in yours...case closed
    • Up x 1
  14. Hoki

Yeah I hear that. I have no problem with good harasser duos outplaying tankers and killing them, I just thing both durability AND their on mobility made it far too easy to never die.

Prenerf harasser was too forgiving. With any other vehicle, when you **** up, you die. (Let's ignore liberator and vanguard for now)
    For the most part, you **** up, you die.

I just don't see why harassers should be excluded from this.
  15. Hoki

I don't question his experience, only his bias. Everyone has bias but unfortunately most either hated or loved the old harasser.

I know why I hated the old harasser, it's cause I couldn't kill them even when I forced them into a compromised position.

I learned early not to chase or challenge one in the open. I would bait them into my foxhole if they wanted my certs.

Except even then the amount of punishment they could take allowed them to escape.

Well, I say screw that. You chase even a single lightning into a cramped tower, there needs to be consequences.

Speed plus high durability is just too forgiving.
  16. ObtuseCanadian

Since you don;t drive harassers I don't expect you to know this, but when you hit a rock, or a tree root, or you take a jump the wrong way, or you hit another vehicle, or do pretty much anything other then drive on roads, you can flip. When you flip pretty much the only way you can unflip is with Turbo, and after the nerf, that ability was severely broken. Now when you flip you will get one chance to try to unflip, if you dont have anything near by to help you then your toased.

So as you can see, harassers aren't excluded, when you make a mistake, you can still die, and every combat harasser driver will agree...
    • Up x 2
  17. Rak

This clip occured some time before the Harrasser was nerfed. It's a brilliant display of my terrible tanking versus Ender31 and AnimosityVS, one of the better Harrasser crews on Mattherson.

As for my opinion on what should be done with the Harasser, I'll state it clearly for you; it should be given back all of its mobility, some of its durability, some it its backseat repair capability, and none of its damage.
    • Up x 3
  18. umbrellapower

Anybody defending pre-nerf Harasser needs to get their brain lobotomized. No, it didn't take skill, it only took a willingness to abuse broken gameplay mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  19. AdamRah

knew this thread was from you :p as you complain about everything about vechs (blockade armor for sundy) why can't you accept all vehicles and there certs are different hence they're going to perform differently on the field be it from resistance health to increase in top speed, if the game was run your way a lighting, gal, lib etc would be balanced when they're not supposed to, how the **** can one heavy take on a harry? unless he has a striker which i'm willing to accept, but still i'd rather pick a flash with engie tank mines than a harasser, it needs a buff
  20. Stormsinger

The issue of harrasser balance seems to be binary - it either sucks, or it rocks. Like ESFs, the ability to rapidly engage or disengage at will is amazing, once you learn to use it.

That said, harrassers have a MUCH lower skill floor then most other vehicles, driving them is easy. The Omni-nerf they slathered all over that poor vehicle has left it less able to approach large fights then anything other then a stock ESF pilot attempting to hover-pod over an ocean of burster maxes, and lasts about as long. Let it be buffed, but SLIGHTLY.

At this point, no one is driving the thing enough for SOE to gather any actual data on it's performance. If nothing else, the buffs will make people try it again - at this point, the only use I have for it is irritating armor with sauron, and the occasional PPA-athon at range. I can mimic Sauron with a lancer, and a wraith flash with a kobalt can farm infantry almost as well as the PPA, with greater survivability of you have a hill to hide behind, and for a third of the resources.
    • Up x 1