[Suggestion] Do not give the harasser back its durability or damage.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoki, Apr 12, 2014.

1. FigM

The Harasser gameplay dynamic allowed for highly competitive gameplay with potentially high skill ceiling. You know a gameplay mechanic is good when you start remembering the names of people you fight, when you start recognizing skill at the first encounter. Now, who are the most recognizable people in game? most likely ESF pilots, because that's where the top competitive gameplay is right now. When Harasser was introduced, new names started emerging - people you would recognize when you saw them, people you would fear or respect. For the first time in this game's history, a ground vehicle started getting close to the level of complexity of ESF, it was expanding PlanetSide 2 in new direction.

That was effectively killed, just so that casuals don't get upset with interruptions to their mindless nameless grind
    • Up x 1
  2. Flag

It's a real shame that they still work so damn hard to deny the MBTs (or any ground vehicle, really) to hold such a position.
  3. Schwak

They would have been fine with their survivability if tanks had stabilized turrets. The only tank that could effectively hunt down and have a chance against a harasser pre-nerf were magriders since they could pursue with reliable accuracy.
  4. Mrasap

I wonder how you would see balance. Should a one-man lightning be better than a two-man harasser? In addition, should a one-man MBT outmatch a two-man harasser?
    • Up x 1
  5. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Should a Tank that is ment to KILL ARMOR beat a dune buggy with a mounted gun?
    .....o_O

Harasser should harass not kill
    Get more harassers and then you kill stuff

harassers should be effective in groups not alone. Tag team haraser battles would be pretty fun.
    • Up x 1
  6. AMARDA

Harasser didn't need a nerf, tanks needed to be buffed vs them. Just upped the damage AP weapons did to them and making Tank Mines effective, like I think they have.
  7. Mrasap

I guess this is the real discussion we should be having then.

There is currently no advantage to pull multiple harassers if you could also pull multiple MBTs or lightnings for the same resource cost (e.g. 3 harassers versus 2 MBTs + 2 infils jacking off). The suggested changes on PTS won't make a difference.

I will ask you this again, what exactly should be the place of the harasser in Auraxis?
  8. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Hit and Run attacks might work for the harasser but the idea is a mobile gun platform. It sacrifices armor and firepower for mobility.
    But I agree the PTS changes will not save it.
    • Up x 1
  9. FigM

honestly, that would add more dynamics to tank gameplay, makes things more interesting
  10. FigM

I'm a big supporter of stabilizing tank turrets. I can understand the theory behind not having them stabilized, a different type of dynamic, but it's simply inferior to the dynamics created with stabilized turrets. It was a bad design choice
  11. Hoki

I fail to see how dying when sufficient effort is applied is a problem.

Want to not eat a tank barrel? Keep moving.

And if for whatever reason you can't do that with prenerf mobility, sucks to be you. Die like every other vehicle does when they get outplayed.
  12. KoS-1

Please SOE, buff the harasser back to near pre-nerf.

I want more tears as I drive by!!
    • Up x 1
  13. KoS-1

I;m sorry, tired of people talking about harassers who have no clue what they are talking about.

Single digit hours in a harasser and one knows what they are like???? Please put a few hundred hours into one, then people would have a better leg to stand on.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rak

Even with pre-nerf mobility, it was pretty easy to hit a Harasser. Never had any problem with them, and I'm a bad tanker.
    • Up x 2
  15. Flag

You speak as if hitting harassers were -hard-.
    A challenge, sure. But never hard.

Also, the outplayed part isn't true for every other vehicle, but that's a debate best left for the threads dedicated to it.
  16. MongooseTwoFive

Pre-nerf they could literally fly right into enemy lines, snipe a tank or two and then bolt without dying because they could not only dodge most shells, but stoically take a few AP shells to the face if needed. In groups of two or three they were incredibly deadly. The nerf was definitely overkill, but I don't want it reverted all the way.

I think they should get a little bit more mobility and armor back, but leave the firepower muted.
    • Up x 3
  17. FaLI3N

As someone who both tanked a lot and used the harasser a lot pre-nerf I never really saw too much of a problem with them. When I was driving one I would usually go on pretty good streaks but mine was fully certed with a competent gunner on comms and we never seemed to be hit from the air that much. When in my tank I found it was pretty easy to take them out, their survivability made them overstay their welcome and provided you had a half decent aim then you could easily pop them with AP/FPC. At the very least you would make them run to repair in which case I would kill the guy on the 3rd seat or chase them down and get them while they repaired.

I think the main problem with harassers back then were how few tanks actually had an active 2nd seat, I hardly heard anyone on VS cry about them in the group that I was with at the time because we always had someone on our saron/halberd. The only harasser that was actually frightening was the vulcan harasser but that was because the vulcan was crazy OP and had amazing synergy with the harasser, not because the harasser itself was overpowered.

I agree though, leave weapons the same and fix the durability/mobility. At the very least nerf lock-on damage, one person with a lock-on launcher can pretty effectively remove all harassers from an area at the moment.
    • Up x 1
  18. Flag

In essence, that's a point I agree with. The current firepower is fine, and so is the diminished 3rd seat repair. The rest are currently lacking.
    • Up x 1
  19. ObtuseCanadian

Wait, you have a problem with hitting the harasser while it is moving, but you also say if you want to not get hit by a tank shell to keep moving...which standard do you want to play by???

The harasser is currently underpowered. If you disagree, then lets compare stats. I have 161 hours in a harasser (not as many as some, but more than most). Hoki (this conversation starter) has 2 (yes two) hours in a harasser. (ttps://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618042632689/vehicles) Hoki has a KDR in light ground vehicles of 1, I have a KDR in light ground vehicles of 2.9. I think I have slightly more room to talk about the harasser. I don't have an issue with discussions, but if you want a nerf or you don't want a buff, at least know what your talking about. You don't like the harasser because you when you verse them you are out-skilled. Get over it, this is an FPS, everything is supposed to kill stuff, that is part of the game. Yeah it's called a "harasser," but if you really think it's not supposed to kill things, well the peace corps is looking for new members...

Your ability to not hit a harasser seems to be a recurring reason why you don't want their mobility back, yet if you actually played the vehicle now and again, you might change your mind...
    • Up x 5
  20. WycliffSlim

Harasser's need their maneuverability back, maybe a slightly higher resistance to small arms with composite armor, and most everything else could remain the same. Personally, I would like to let the back seat repair be brought up A LITTLE. It really did add an incredibly interesting dynamic to fights, especially harasser v harasser duels where it was VITAL to have a third person if you wanted to win against an equally skilled team. At the moment, third seat repair can hardly out repair the DoT fire damage when you're on fire. Maybe bring it up to like 40% effectiveness from where it is now(30 I believe) so that it's still not going to allow a Harrasser to tank damage but it helps keep them moving a bit better and gives them a reason to be 3/3(which is a large investment of resources when you consider what else could be pulled among 3 people).

Their damage is fine as is. They've got decent AI damage and decent AV without being incredibly powerful. Personally I think the Halberd should OHK infantry that doesn't have Flak Armor but... that's not a huge selling point for me.

I've always felt the Harasser should be a bit of a glass cannon like an ESF. They get in, they hit like a truck and then they get out because if they stay for very long they get melted. Alternatively you give them just absurd maneuverability at the cost of not much damage so that they're incredibly annoying and will kill you if you don't deal with them but they have less ability to do quick strikes and have to rely on driver/gunner skill to score kills while dodging incoming fire.
    • Up x 2