Anti-Personnel Mana Turret

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Teegeeack, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Teegeeack

This must be the worst thing in the game. The only thing it's deadly to is the person using it because as soon as you set it down you become target number one for every tank, aircraft and infantry in the area. One hit from a rocket launcher will take it out. I love using my Phoenix on them because it kills the engineer instantly whereas normally I'd have to use two rockets to take out infantry. You can't even protect yourselves from snipers anymore. Wtf.
  2. Scr1nRusher

What Pirated form of planetside 2 are you using?
    • Up x 3
  3. Metalsheep

What i hate is how inconsistant the AI turrets are with damage. Some times i can 1 shot them with a Decimator rocket, and sometimes i put all 4 into them and they take no damage.

I think they do need a bit of a survivability buff. 2 rockets to kill if you hit them on the shield. 1 rocket if it hits the center/unshielded portion. I also think they should atleast have head-on Head protection. But lesser to no head protections from angles from the front.

Theyre almost suicidal to man against nearly anything unless you are flanking with them.
    • Up x 8
  4. M2_Bradley

Only the VS version is sniper proof...From the front.
  5. Lyrencropt

The hitboxes are buggy as all hell. Even the AV version is weird from the side - you'll be able to see their entire body and their head from like a 60° angle, but it somehow hits the turret. The OP is right, too - the phoenix is really easily able to hit them for some reason. Like, much easier than a dumbfire, even if you hit the same spot. I think it's because the phoenix projectile has a larger hitbox due to it being able to be shot down.
    • Up x 1
  6. vincent-

bull crap if you're looking at them straight on they will put a bullet in your skull. The only way I prevent snipers is turning my gun upwards that stops everyone from hurting me as the shield is pretty much 90% upfront now.
    • Up x 1
  7. Lucidius134

That's a huge nerf, not a buff.

Basically "If i'm playing HA and round a corner, i should be able to shield and retreat to cover to pull out my rocket and reliably take them out"

That happens already, but now you don't even need the perfect aim to relaibly take them out. They're stationary and slow to re-deploy so it's not like it's that hard to do. And it nerfs AI Mana at range too.

That said, the hit boxes need to be unbugged. They are sooo bad.
  8. Astraka

The AI Turret is very good. You just have to be smart about placement. I use it to lock down firing lanes while inside, portable cover while outside, makeshift barricades, or a step ladder to reach higher places.

I'd trade it in a heartbeat for some real portal cover though.
    • Up x 1
  9. QuakerOatsMan

No actually, they are better than a lot of long range guns if you burst-fire them, not to mention they give you an innate 2x zoom I believe. The only way you're going to die (esp. if you're a VS engineer) is if they nail your head (sniper) or your turret barrel with a rocket (or a grenade if from up close). It can be a very nice form of cover since it can be tedious trying to hit the pixel-sized barrel from up front with anything. If the AV MANA turret weren't so good at AV, I'd gladly equip the AI turret. It's a lot more useful than you think.
    One of the few things I have a gripe about though is its worthless cert line increasing its overheating time by a few seconds.
  10. AnnPerkins

The TR one is terrible. There's a giant gaping hole where your head is. I'd recommend not using it at all if you're TR.

and don't use it against NC. An absolutely unskilled phoenix user just has to hit somewhere near you to instantly destroy you without aiming whatsoever.

If SOE actually cared about balance they would have addressed this a year ago but they don't.
  11. M2_Bradley

If you're looking at them straight,you shoot them.Also,you almost never look directly at a sniper unless it's a coincidence or you're intentionally trying to kill him.
  12. Kriegson

lol "A pathetically unskilled player will manually guide his rocket into you using absolutely no skill at all! "
    Did we forget that part where you must manually fly your rocket? I think we have.

AI turrets are extremely powerful when used right (indoors, with flanking protection, to lock down a chokepoint) but as mentioned are very inconsistent. They are working to normalize the protection given by the shields now.
  13. andy_m

And that is changing soon I believe (I should go find a link but I'm busy).

As for the turret... I am aware of its shortfalls and therefore I only use it when I know I am safe from rockets and snipers. For instance, when covering an access point into a room that has a cap point in it...
  14. Waffle Fartsparkle

The turret, especially the NC's turret, is best used as reliable, deployable cover that you can crouch behind and save you from getting killed.

The NC's turret is far wider with less head protection, which can be a great thing of using it this way, as you can then easily pop out of your cover to land a few shots before crouching again.

THIS IS A GOOD THING. As this turns your turret into a DISTRACTION. A distracted enemy might as well be a free kill!

Now my only question is, What is the base damage of the AI MANA turret?
    • Up x 1
  15. moriarrr-ceres

The overheating cert line is all but worthless trust me its what make a normal turret become a killing machine (better than a cobalt) im able to kill 2 maxes before have to wait cooldown
    • Up x 1
  16. M2_Bradley

I never found any good use for the turret.Except to kill camping snipers.Put up a turret next to them,and kill them with it.To add insult to injury...
  17. Ronin Oni

You have to hit the barrel of the gun with your RPG to OHK them, otherwise you may do a little bit of splash damage to it (giving you a hit marker) or even nothing at all (pure shield hit).

Anyways, AP MANA turrets are amazing. I've had some killer kill streaks with those things. They are highly under-rated.

Use short bursts for range to let the CoF reset, or full-auto at shorter ranges to shred enemy in close. They're also pretty darned good at killing MAXes.

I now only have AV turret on 1 of my Engineer loadouts I use for vehicle combat. If I'm pulling engineer for an infantry fight, I always go with the AP MANA turret instead.

I am looking forward to the Engie update which will hopefully give us a couple more options like a deployable shield and AA Burster/Ranger turret.
    • Up x 2
  18. Rift23

Those are some terrible snipers. I see a mana turret go down and think, "Awesome, a target that's not twitching like a Chihuahua on crack."
    • Up x 1
  19. Ultramarine

Fun fact: Phoenix rockets always OHK any engineer turret. FIRE AWAY AND RAIN IN THE SCREAMS OF FREEDOM!
  20. doombro

They're god mode for holding stair ways and various choke points. If you're using them where a vehicle can get to you, you're not using them right.