Is there Any other FPS that had to put lights on a mine to appease the players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by smokemaker, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Revanmug

I know that's you, which is why I said that people that barely play the game, like you, are going to encounter much less mines than an actual player.

Did you know I haven't died to AI mines for over 3 weeks? At least! Amazing isn't it! Just like you, I have learn the power of not playing this game... It's magic!

It's a much better technique than looking at your feet while people are murdering you 5 feet above ground. Might also explain your very horrible stats. Spending too much time looking down rather than up.
    • Up x 1
  2. TomaHawk

Engy turrets in PS1 were very cool, wish we had them here.
    • Up x 1
  3. z1967

This is the least inflammatory I can make this post without it losing meaning.

I assume you understand that there are different games out there so let me put it bluntly. The game hasn't changed in 4 days, I have been testing on the the PTS, and I have been playing other games including one that I had been following closely before my FPS binge (I usually play RTS and Sandbox games, I have gotten worse at the RTS bit of it though).

The bolded words are something I want to discuss. You insist that whatever play styles I play, whatever weapons I use, do not belong in a game like this. Are you so happy with your no doubt farmed to the top 9 k/d? Are you actually realizing that you are being a hypocrite, using a Viper Lightning whilst simultaneously calling someone using mines "not an actual player". Well sorry for not farming it up in a blatantly over buffed weapon, sorry for not running around only using the most mlg of guns to emphasize skill. Clearly there is no better playstyle than the one of running around shooting guys until a mine placed by some random guy 5 minutes ago kills you.

Then of course I can complain about all the many things that kill me but I don't. I don't accuse Infiltrators of not being a valid play style. I won't accuse some random HA that killed me of their shield being a crutch. I don't yell at some AV engineer because his turret didn't render (though it is kinda cheap, just saying being on both ends of it). YOUR problem, the one faced by you, Giggily, and Posse is that you hate dying. You get to a point in the game where each death is personal and you hate dying with a passion. You feel cheated when some Lib catches you in the open, or you hit a mine behind a doorway. I am can't judge you all based on your stats, but your attitude is something that makes me want to scream.

Say mines get nerfed to hell, what next, shotguns? Why not C4? Oh, while we're at it lets nerf everything with a fire rate faster than 500rpm, its far too easy to hit things with those. Lets also remove every gun in the game until we only have guns that fire at 100 m/s, take 10 shots to kill with only 5 in the mag, and is a semi-auto. Lets make the game so twitch gunplay based that every other player leaves because they get the feeling that this game is not for them.

Perhaps I am too extreme here, but this is my experience with every other FPS community out there. There will be those that hate anything that doesn't require their level of skill to kill them with, they want to be invincible because of all the work they put in the game. Mines are what I am gonna call an indicator species. Not necessarily mines, but any form of non-human controlled weapon (auto turrets and the like). When they disappear, that is when you know a game will slowly fall into ruin. It shows that devs will listen to whoever whines the loudest, the people that want their version of the game to be the one that the game conforms to, ignoring all other play styles and potential for the game.

And you know what? We wouldn't need to have this conversation if you would do just one ****ing simple thing. EQUIP. ****ING. FLAK ARMOR.

TL;DR
    Remove the mines, kill the game.

Those things look so cool, would never be able to fit them in a doorway though (maybe I saw the bigger version?). Would love to have that be the new base turret design model though (with a metal cockpit of course).
    • Up x 1
  4. Redshift

Crouch walking got you past turrents, as did sensor shield, unless they owned an interlink in which case crouch walk didnt work. But then everyone had hammer nades to help clear it.
    It really was a far more in depth system than these crappy proxy mines.
    • Up x 1
  5. Phyr

Blacklight: Retribution
    • Up x 1
  6. Desann

Ahh that's right, the interlink gave that advanced radar. Thanks. But yes, that is why I say time and time again that PS1 mechanics needs to be emulated in PS2! There was so much more you could do. Don't get me wrong PS2 is fun, and I enjoy playing. But it still needs that extra UMPH from PS1 in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dilys

Engineers are support, they spend a lot of time supporting other people's play, fixing things and maxes, laying ammo, generally cleaning up after a battle. A lot of older gamers play engineer because we just aren't as fast physically as younger players, yet still enjoy the game. Mines can be a surprising kill, if you don't put them in routine places. You have to watch where people are running in a battle, where they are coming from the sunderer, which paths they take from the spawn room. There were a lot of ways older gamers could play in PS1, fewer here in PS2, but mines are simply one way to play. I don't shoot well, not fast enough, but I do find that deploying mines can be very satisfying. I suppose mine kills are at least as satisfying as the kills pilots get from camping the spawn room and killing whoever comes out. Or bombing any person out in the open. Engineers usually have no way to damage a flying plane, no defense against a couple of enemy planes keeping everyone bottled up in the spawn room. Now a plane on the ground is another story. Complaining about mines is more useless than complaining about massive plane kills. Just because we don't play the game YOUR way doesn't mean our way is any less valid. At least, the mines ARE lit and you can pretty much figure out where they might be if you are thinking. And there are ways of disarming them and there is flak armor, so y'all have some defense against them. You just hate mine kills because they make you feel stupid. I know, I feel stupid when they kill me as well!
    • Up x 1
  8. Revanmug

It's incredible how bad player can't just accept the truth. They just can't.

Why should I care that you are playing other games? That's not changing the fact that neither you or I have been playing this game in the last 3 weeks. It's not changing the fact that you have little time played compare to many players like posse or Giggily. You throwing a tantrum isn't going to change that simple fact.

As for stats, you are the one that post them, not I. As for my play style, I have over 90000 kills spread over 30 different weapons from infantry to AV tank gun. Yes, the Viper is my second most used lightning gun with like 4k kills?. Why wouldn't I use it? It straight up better than HE against Infantry and better than Heat vs vehicule. Of course I'm going to use it. What kind of ****** question is that? Pretty much showing how you missed the point.

The question has never been if you should use mines. Why wouldn't you? They are easy fire and forget kills. The question was if they are ever going to change the mine mechanic. You complained about the Viper. Guess what? That OP plateform is getting nerf next week. Kind of a bad arguement if you consider the mines in the same category as the Viper.

Even if they were going as extreme as removing mine from the game, it would kill it. Mines aren't even close to do what they are suppose to do anyway. Rather than slow down an enemy force, you are just killing 1-2 guys randomly. That's why you see soo many engineer, like me, using AV mine as Sunderer buster OR random infiltrator going in group of enemy throwing mine right on their feet. It's the most efficient way to get kills since mines don't have any other purpose. It's throw them and wait for kills.

TL;DR
    Bad player with little experience missed the point. More news at 11.
    • Up x 2
  9. smokemaker

Good run...

Alright mines with lights exist in other FPS both solo and multiplayer.

I bow in recognition to this.

Thanks as aways to the posts.

And ....... I...... aaah.....but.... . . ..

ok i concede.
    • Up x 2
  10. z1967

Perhaps writing a response at 2300 was not the smartest of ideas, but I had to get it out. And to be fair, it was rather rage based. Probably should have equipped flak armor put that at the bottom :|

What an amazing thing to hear from the guy who can't dodge an inanimate object (then again, trees...)

Because that is the reason I hadn't played recently. Thought you could have inferred that but I guess not.

Most recent adjustment to flak armor: December 17 for PU_02, they adjusted it to resist direct damage.
    Most recent adjustment to (AP) mines: PU_02 where they are no longer detected by thermal vision.
    I think it is safe to say I didn't miss anything special in that time. Feel free to correct me on this, nothing special happened in the last 3 weeks anyways. Except on the PTS, but that is a different story.

This why stats show only the tip of the Iceberg. You can see that I am only a BR 44 with most of my play time being Engineer. I too spread out my kills. I have also not been here as long as you have since I joined in November of 2013. I am not a super serious player that spends all of my time making my stats look good. Its the moments of glory that make me happy to play this game, super high K/D/SPM or not.

I find it funny that you justify the Viper by comparing it to HEAT/HE. Its like comparing (old) ZOE to charge. They are both viable weapons, but one of them is obviously better. That is why they are nerfing the Viper. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess. But enough of comparing sizes, no point in that since this is not that kind of thread.

I think you missed the point on that one. The only other viable defense option is to have someone stand there and guard that one door/window/path that maybe someone might use. Imagine if that is your job, to stare at a door that someone might just pass through and shoot them if they do. Mines solve that problem so that A group of defenders doesn't need to be as big as the attackers (though it helps). And chances are it won't even affect the attackers if they travel with medics. Which in my experience, is every other guy in a squad.

I do not consider mines in the same category as the viper. One costs 300 resources and no certs to just roam around on a point'n'click adventure whilst the other is 75 resources and 150 certs IIRC that you place behind a door frame. Not even close.

I assume you mean "wouldn't" kill it instead of "would" kill it. Removing mines won't kill the game, at least not initially. Exterminating bees won't kill the Earth, at least not initially. Both of these would indicate that something is amiss and we need to evaluate what is happening.

Lets say we nerf mines to the point where they will not OHK non-flak users (which btw, I will likely be bringing up flak in to every single one of these until you finally acknowledge it's existence), what is their new purpose? Deny you of 850 health until you simply pop a med kit? Mines will never be deployed again because they would be useless unless they blanket an area. What would be the new method of defending areas that are least travelled? Nobody is going to stand there while everyone else goes and gets kills and xp. Mines solve this problem by being that guard. What is it, a 2-3m kill zone? With glowing lights on it?

rage on/
    I hate to attack you personally but did you stumble through every doorway, only looking at what was directly in front of you until you reached BR 100? I don't understand how you and every other whiner in this thread could possibly call these mines annoying... Are the NA East coast servers for "special" people who can't be bothered to not hold down the shift key every time they go through a doorway? Who can't be bothered to put a mere 11 certs to get the first two ranks of flak armor that will guarantee that mines won't OHK unless you are right on top of them. I suppose that once you hit a certain level in gaming that you feel that you should be invincible and have to be completely out skilled in order to be killed, completely ignoring the fact that there are hundreds of players who will gladly knock my block off in any number of ways. Do you feel cheated when you get lolpodded? Do you feel cheated when a Viper lightning guns you down? I hope you do, because the only difference between those and mines is that mines could have been COMPLETELY disregarded by guess what, Flak armor.
    /rage off
    I think you need to get your head out of the clouds and look at your feet. Or maybe just lay off the shift key every once in awhile. Its so stupidly simple and yet I am the bad player here. Oh, and just for one final bit of advice, EQUIP FLAK ARMOR.

And too the OP, light on mines are there for gameplay balance reasons. They were put on in order to mitigate the sinking into the floor problem. They fixed the problem but it still happens occasionally, just bug report it to them so they know which surfaces it slides in to. Aside from that, the lights don't look half bad TBH. Lasers on the claymore, the hex pattern on the BB, and the 3 dot proxy light system are all kinda cool. Not really that functional, but cool none the less.
  11. umbrellapower

Looking at the ground searching for landmines is not good FPS play. There's no reason SOE should enforce bad habits in players like rewarding aiming at the ground. Yes, I didn't read the replies in this thread and I don't care because **** mines.
    • Up x 1