How to tell if your good at planetside....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Apr 7, 2014.

1. smokemaker

Indeed, and the trick of the dance is to dance in a way that lets you kill more then you die. Did that death mean anything, it sure did and last beyond taking or losing a base. You walk around with your K/D tattooed to your forehead. I dont need to know why it is that way, just that it is. The K/D lasts, the base does not.

Its a dance that can be slanted to good or bad depending on your brains abilities.

And K/D reflects this ability.

There is no getting around this.

K/D is to FPS as bullets are.
  2. andy_m

Although I do not fully agree that KDR, on its own, is a measure of a good player, I have to agree with the sentence above.

We play, what, an hour, perhaps three? I've even played eight hours virtually non-stop once. You go to beddy bies, or even sign off for some dinner, and when you come back the map has changed again.

Me and a pal captured a Biolab last night. Only a tiny battle really, as I was trying out a MAX suit. Probably four NC and a couple of VS trying to counter us. Needless to say, we won that particular battle.

Went somewhere else, Octagon, and there was a little bit more going on there.

Checked the map five minutes later and the Biolab was back in VS hands.

And that is the way it is sometimes...

Still, KDR is not my measure of a good player, although I accept that it may be someone elses :)
  3. Robertooooo

If it's possible to leave the spawnroom I do. And if it's not I redeploy to some fun battle. I usually retake/defend cap points when needed, and I have a K/D of 3.2 I think. And I fight alot in battles where my faction is outnumbered by 40/60.
    • Up x 1
  4. uhlan

I am decent at PS2 and there's no shame in saying so.

I think someone said it earlier, but if you have high BR's with good k/d's go out of their way to kill you, you're doing something right.

I have had people run off, grab a Lib, to try and kill me that way. Then run off and grab an ESF, get frustrated and try to suicide me...

I've had people call in their outfit to get me and harass me in chat... you name it.

It is most often the high BR's, jaded and aloof (pilots especially) that hate to get owned repeatedly.

I love doing this with a low BR character it irritates people no end. If I survive the action long enough I like to add a little twist of the knife if I can and redeploy just out of their reach.

Imagining the apoplectic seizures is priceless.
    • Up x 1
  5. KnightCole

But if you are just rushing in a futile attempt, knowing good and damn well your not going to cap the base, then its not "good play", its just stupid suicide. There is a line between "Valiant Effort" and "Stupiciding".
    • Up x 2
  6. johnway

The only way that i can tell that i do well in the game is when i'm having fun. This usually involves K/D. If i spend more time being hunter and holding my own in intense fight, i generally have a good time as i spend more time actually fighting and being in the action for longer periods of time as oppose to being someones punching bag and stroking that persons ego.

But thats me. If some people enjoy suicide attacks, like using a flash and crashing through a crowd of soldiers good for them. Another way to show you're doing good is when the enemy rages about you.
    • Up x 1
  7. MorganM

HAH!

Dude I've stalked you for an hour before because I was so mad you killed me a couple times. Finally got you but it took forever and you killed me like 4 times in-between =P I still felt better afterward though. However I didn't send you rage tells; it was actually a really fun challenge. Almost like my own mission system =)
  8. Ghenko

K/D is reasonable indicator of skill, however it to me it is a much larger indicator of how often you run with an organized squad. If revive didn't erase a death then K/D would be a much more accurate skill assessor. Some players choose to run as lone wolves most of the time, and these players will almost always have a worse K/D than someone who runs with an organized squad the majority of the time. Does this mean they are "worse"?

And of course some players choose to do dirty work that involves things other than killing, and some of this work will get you killed more often than get you kills, so their K/D isn't going to look that great either. Does this make them "bad"?

I definitely get the fascination some people are going to have with K/D in these games, its probably the primary motivating stat. But all you really need to do to get a decent K/D in PS2 is always run with a squad that has committed medics. If you are even half-way decent your K/D will look great.
  9. yeHHH1g

Look bro, there's this super duper cool site called stats.dasanfall.com that counts revive deaths and reflects your true k/d without revives. So if that is your argument just use our site to measure overall k/d epeens as well as to break down k/d into different sectors or playing (flying, tanking, sniping, infantry, etc.)

I just need your full name and social security number if you want an invite code.
  10. PhantomPistols

right, because being in vehicles/libs the whole day, spamming maxes, using light assault + redeploy when their esf about to go down, using cheap tactics, and without really having an anti-hack in this game. I mean It does, if this was a typical shooter, but it's not.
    • Up x 2
  11. NC_agent00kevin

KDR and SPM dont mean a lot. Most anyone can farm up a good KDR and SPM. Take ESF pilots for instance. Some are good, yes - but when you encounter them on the ground they are average at best. Obviously this doesnt go for all of them. However, they will likely have absurdly high KDR and SPM because they kill many many Infantry and fly away at the first hint of danger. Good at flying? Absolutely. Good at not dying too. (LA eject to save the KDR!) Good at the game as a whole? Nah, just average, but they shine in one area and stick to it.

Ive encountered quite a few players though, who had 'normal' KDRs but were good at everything they did. Infantry, flying, tanks. Not freakishly good at any one thing, but fairly equally good at all things. They play the game as a CTF or CP game; not a TDM. You dont see these guys often poking their noses in fights that dont concern their faction, you dont see them doing one single thing ALL the time.

Those are the good players. The other ones are just good farmers.

I have decent but not great KDRs. Im a decent player, but not awesome. You could look up any of my stats and see that I dont have large amounts of time in ESFs, MBTs, Libs or Harassers. I do have a lot of Lightning time, but mostly AP Lightning which isnt exactly the pinnacle of farming. I could spend a lot of time in Libs, ESFs and MBts farming away and probably look like a great player - but Im not.
  12. smokemaker

Not 1 part of me cares why your K/D sucks.
    It is what it is.
    It is tattooed on your forehead if you like it or not.
    Whatever you need to say to yourself to lessen the emotional pain of your K/D is between you and yourself.

Know this :
    I judge you based off of your kill vs. death stat.
    To me, this says i kill more then i die.
    Black and white.
    It is associated to FPS as bullets are.
    There is NO going around this.

The base you just took, was just lost... the only thing that changed and isn't going to change again until you fight again is your K/D.

Why it is what it is is due to your abilities.
    The dance of death.
    Why you fight.....
    Where you fight......
    With whom you fight......
    in PS2 is irrelevant.

All you need to know is that you have been given a chance to dance with death.... did you win or lose?

Your K/D will let you know.

Period. End of story. Game over.

Here is some lobster for you.

With much respect, of course, for my fellow gamer.

Smokemaker
  13. Bush82

the best indicator for telling a good player is....if you have never seen them on a forum crying out about hackers in the game.

or you can play for hours on end without raging about being killed.

K/D means jack all. you could be a good camper but a bad player, taking potshots from miles away stealing kills from the front line soldiers. it's easy to stat pad.

a good player knows what's needed to be done. either solo or team play. 20 snipers when there are 10 tanks shooting at a sundy is a good indicator that they are bad players.
  14. PlatoonLeaderG

A monk once said: "You are good at Planetside 2,when you dont care how good you are and have fun.If you have fun then you are good."
    • Up x 1
  15. Ballistix

^ ^ ^ THIS SO MUCH ^ ^ ^
  16. Tentakewls

You can't properly messure the skill of someone unless you see them play. You sure as hell can't use a single statistic to define what skill is and isn't either. K/D as a measure of skill is demonstrably wrong.

Say I suck because I have a low K/D, then I hop into a Dalton lib/HE Tank/Lolpod ESF and spawncamp people that can't retaliate. My K/D goes up, does that means that I immediately got better at the game? Let's suppose it does, and then I lose my vehicle and go back to playing infantry and my K/D goes back down, does that means I lost all the skill I recently gained?
    Even amongst different infantry classes, would you say someone who plays HA and has a K/D of say 4 is better than a medic with a K/D of 2?
    K/D would be a good measure in an arena shooter, with no vehicles and decent balance. On this game is just an ****** thing.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheTreeness

You can tell how good a player is from a stat site, it's a combination of:
    • kills/min with infantry weapons (above 1 is decent above 1.5 is good and above 2 is amazing and above 3 is godlike)
    • Accuracy
    • HSR
    • KDR
    Dasanfall had leaderboards for an infantry scale called 'IvI score' based on accuracy and headshot ratio with infantry weapons who had the highest ability to win a 1v1.
    • Visigodo is the most consistently accurate full auto weapon user.
    • NivxWest has the best positioning of any HA player and also is also the greatest at farming infantry with an infantry class (rumored hacker).
    • TorokokillCVS is the current best bolt action infiltrator.
  18. ViXeN

My hackusation count is currently up to 217 on ps2 during the past year. Yes, I keep an updated list with screenshots just for my own personal amusement and the occasional post in my Rageaholics series. :D

I have said it about a million times on here. The only way to know if a player is really good is to watch him or her play. Its the only way to really know.
    • Up x 1
  19. Lycaonche

According to TheTreeness, i'm godly awesome ! :)
    I have a (very) good ratio and i play mostly HA (90% of my time), with good overall stats as SPM.

But the only true way to know if a person is good is to see him playing.