This game for 24/7 players only?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Grandpa, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Grandpa

Hi,
    JUST THINK.

MAIN QUESTION IS: Are "normal" people able to play succesful in that game, or are we victims?

After a time now, i got bored in this game. I spent most of the ingame time with considering my "just died" screen and running out of the bunker to be killed instantly after seconds. From which direction, i dont know, from players with such skill, that they kill me from far distance by automatic rifle within 1 second. Over and over again. If i try this, no way. Enemy seems to eat a whole mag without dying sometimes. NO i have no lag, fast connection. Than i jumped into a tank, boom - dead. Another enemy tank just onehitted me with his comrad in his heavy tank.

For example, if i try to sniper someone, it feels like i throw stones on that enemy, because of that unrealistic bullet drop. The enemy, doesn't matter at which distance - 1 shot, i am dead. Headshot. Not all, but most of that gamers seems to be really aces and aiming wonders, or using some help to get some frags, who knows?

While i am not a bad gamer in shooter games at all, in this game i feel like a victim, just ingame to help other people be happy with fragging someone.

I like that concept of that game, but first time in my life i have troubbles with a shooter game. i dunno. maybe i'm to old to have a chance against kidds and their skills? but as i said, that happens only in that game for me.

no whine thread. Just a try, to understand.pls dont blame me, english is not my mother tongue.
  2. Traxiconn

This is something that is meant to be learn as you play.

Same with everything else. Full auto fire suffers from recoil, and in other FPS there is no CoF, but in PS2 there is so ,again, fire control.
  3. Dudeman325420

Practice, Grandpa. Practice.

Failing that, play as a medic or engineer who focuses on support. If that doesn't seem fun, and you just can't manage to improve enough to be entertained, then you probably want a different game. There are tons of them out there.
    • Up x 2
  4. sustainedfire

Its a bit tricky to pick up the ins and outs of Planetside 2.

You have to learn how the weapons handle.

You have to understand when a base is a lost cause. A lot of bases offer little to no opportunity to defend. That may be what youre experiencing. If the base is overrun, sometimes you just have to leave and spawn at a different location, even if it seems like you could recover the point- you probably cannot, theres likely a bunch of gunships hovering above the spawn, 6 snipers with motion detectors and 10 vehicles with Scout Radar. If you try to leave the spawn room, youre just a fish in a barrel.

You have to recognize opportunities to flank.

Reading the map helps immensely.
  5. Paperlamp

Watch some youtube videos - there're guides for new players and just watching better/more experienced players can help you see what they're doing that you're not if you're observant enough.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheStonehawk

Learning curves are really really brutal in this game man. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.
  7. Nocturnal7x

Well a lot of us have been playing over a year and with over 1k hours time in game. You are gonna get wrecked. Game requires a lot of L2P.
    • Up x 2
  8. NinjaTurtle

Practice.

I died constantly when I first started. I couldn't do anything, I was at 0.4 k/d for the first 6 months I played and at a score per min of about 60.

Watch a few youtube videos, I recommend Wrel as a good place to start though there are plenty of other good commentators too
  9. R4GING

do some testing on the VR maybe ?

see at what range can you go full-auto on your weapon and still hit nearly every shot - recoil control isn't everything, you have to consider your cof bloom (yes, your gun isn't laser accurate even while ADS).

also, make sure to always be tactical and don't just go in guns blazing, especially with light assault.
  10. Jomar

Hang in there Grandpa, Planetside has a bit of a learning curve.

Find an outfit/friends to help you learn the finer points of the game.

As a grandpa myself I understand the frustration.
  11. Grandpa

Thanks alot guys, for all your nice words! So good to hear, that this game is really not that easy :)
    I hang on, watch some learning vids on youtube and try to survive longer than 10 secs next time.
    See you ingame dudes, i hope not in front of your gun :)
    greets to you all!
    • Up x 4
  12. Liberty

Planetside has pretty "traditional" shooter traits like CoF, Bloom, Recoil, etc. That part should really be nothing new to anyone who has played any recent military style shooters. The real learning curve of this game is two fold.

The first is finding a fight that fits your skill level. Take a look at your map when you arrive at a fight / hex and look at the population pie graph. Then you have to take into account if it is a sucky base that can have its spawnroom shelled by explosives via tank / air.
    Next you have to take a look and see how much of an armor zerg you are dealing with. It can be a 50 / 50 fight with a spawnroom that can't be 100 % shelled, but the enemy can still have 30 tanks to your zero. So as soon as you step outside, expect to be blasted with splash damage.

It is sad how much of a rarity it is to find similar levels of population, in a "good" base with similar levels of force multipliers on both sides. When you find these fights though? The game will offer you an awesome experience.

The second huge thing that can literally take you months is learning the combat flow of all the bases you fight at.

Once you know what to expect from the enemy and where you expect to them to come from, you are set to go. But honestly from what you are saying, it sounds like you are struggling with the shooter aspect of things which is really just a matter of practice / understanding how weapons handle.
  13. Latrodectus

Stick to vehicles and MAX suits. You'll be fine.
    • Up x 1
  14. QuakerOatsMan

Whenever my fps drops down to levels that put me at a very great disadvantage, or I'm just having a bad day, I turn to tactics or a support role, such as a radar sensor, medic, engy, lock-on HA, etc.
    One of the problems with PS2 is that SOE was seeking to put out a game that competed with the CoD or BF series, instead of continuing PS2 as a direct sequel to PS1. So you get so many similarities to those ADS shooters instead of more unique, creative mechanics, as well as more of a mentality that "you're a better PS2 player if you're good at aiming" when instead tactics, awareness, out-of-the-box thinking, etc. can pull you through a long way and is often more fun.

Although the FPS type of gameplay is prevalent in PS2, the devs should not be treating it as a pure shooter game, and neither should you. Kills and deaths should not matter if you're having fun.
  15. TheStonehawk

Lol. Are you kidding? I look at anyone under BR15 piloting an ESF or using an MBT as free certs. They have no situational awareness to things like C4 or Phoenix missiles because they don't even know about them. Stick to infantry, it makes the most sense and capping bases/medicing is probably the best way a new person can help their team out without losing ridiculously. Support classes like medic or engineer have a low skill floor and are easy to get started using. Especially medic because of the ability to heal yourself.
  16. Taemien

Do not Lone Wolf. Just don't do it.

This means joining a Squad or Platoon and not going at it alone. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ten Lone Wolves will get wasted by 4 people in communication with each other.

Thankfully joining a group in this game is easy. Just hit 'P' and you'll get a list of squads and platoons that are open. Join them. Learn the outfit tags. Once you find an outfit you like running with, ask to join. Once you have that, you will no longer be the victim. You will be the one that victimizes others.

Ignore the clamoring about no skill this or no skill that. Learn what the weapons are for. Learn their effective ranges. And don't be afraid to ask questions when there is a bit of downtime. People ingame are actually genuinely helpful. And remember your success lies in YOUR hands. Ignore the posts about OP this, or OP that. The system isn't rigged against you. There's always something you can do to come out on top. But you have to be the one to take advantage of it.

Don't forget to have fun. Set little goals for yourself. There's alot to do in Planetside and you don't need to focus on it all at once. Play something you like and stick with it. Branch out when you feel you need to try something new.
  17. Modern Ancestor

I know where you are been there myself. Only recently have started to get hang on things and stand my ground out there. There really is the need to learn how things work. Would not have it any other way since what would reward you better? Getting right into from day 1 or learn by mistakes. I believe the best rewards come in time with learning.

Patience is a virtue even in here. The whonders of egypt werent build in a day.
  18. Sen7rygun

It's not a game for 24/7 players only but there is definitely more to learn about this game than the average shooter before you can just drop in/drop out and have yourself a great little 20 minute mini session whenever you like.

Just like any shooter there's the easy part to learn, weapon mechanics and bullet drop etc. Once you get a grip (ahem) on that part, in the right fights you'll be dropping targets, seeing a positive KDR and generally feeling like you're contributing rather than soaking up bullets for veterans.

In Planetside 2 there are a couple of other critical components of the game you need to understand.

- Learn to read the map, it shows distribution of players in your area and gives you an idea of the opposition you're facing as well as where about on the continent the best fights for you are located.

- If you're getting killed the moment you leave the spawn room then theres a good chance the enemy has it surrounded and that area is pretty much on lockdown. Check that map! What's the percentage of population in the area? Can you see friendly forces in the area that aren't getting wasted like you are? If you're badly out numbered and all the friendlies in the area are in that spawn room with you then it's time to redeploy and find yourself a better fight.

- Stuff is going to be killing you from much longer ranges than in other games. With the exception of Battlefailed, there is no other game out there where you will be killed by stuff you never saw coming from over the horizon as much as in Planetside 2. For that reason it's important to keep up good quadrant checks and be aware of vehicles, aircraft or even enemy infantry at range in your area. I kid you not, one time after clearing a base I stopped to check my map and got killed by a stray rocket that was fired from a guy hundreds of meters away who was taking a pot shot at a fighter and missed it. It happens.

- Understand the food chain and support network. In this game you WILL encounter stuff you can't kill and will need help to defeat. Soloing a tank or heavy aircraft is suicide most of the time, you're going to need (or need to provide) ammo, revives, radar coverage, armoured and air support etc.

It sounds like a lot to learn but realistically once you can read the map and pick your own fights with a degree of understanding about what you're about to jump into, the rest is up to your shooting skills. Once you've got awareness of the basics and you're fighting on the merits of your skill in areas where it's an even fight then you'll find yourself able to pop in for a quick 10 or 20 minute session and still have a great time while you do it.
    • Up x 2
  19. Paragon Exile

The game has a testicle-smashing learning curve that takes dedication to overcome, not to mention the (at first glance) ridiculous game concepts and features.

Having played for nearly 100 hours, which is barely a drop in the bucket, I've gone from an abyssal 0.4 K/D to a 1.06, from 75 SPM to 170. It's all about sticking with what you enjoy, in my case the medic, and improving your gear until you're a badass.

Also, CHECK YOUR MAP. The map has so much information and helps in so many different ways, it would be counted as cheating in other games. I cannot overstate what you gain just by looking at the map. The main things to look for are; enemy sunderers (spawn vehicles), zergs (swarms of enemies), base capture points, radar darts, medic and repair icons, MAX units, enemy air units and perhaps most importantly, the relative strength pie chart.
    • Up x 1
  20. Frosty The Pyro

sometimes you farm, and sometimes you feed the grinder. just how things work when you got so many people running around.
    • Up x 1