Fact is K/D Ratio + Kill Per Minute show how good of a player you are in PS2 most of the time!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by G.O.A.T, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G.O.A.T

Im tired of hearing people say "K/D Ratio means nothing" just because COD kiddies talk about K/D ratio.

When we all know that the best players in Planetside usually have high K/D ratio.

Bottom Line is, anybody talking crap about K/D Ratio probably isn't very good...or just hates COD but takes it out on valid Statistics like K/D ratio.

Now in PS2 is about K/D ratio and KPM IMO.

So yeah if you have nice K/D ratio but you get .10 kills a minute...Guess what, you are a camper and don't fight in the front lines....You arn't that good.

In order to have a good Kill per minute score, you need to be constantly on the front lines fighting....Add in Kill to death ratio, if you are good in both of those then you are good player...PERIOD.

I consider a good KPM score to be .70+.....means that you get at least .70 a kill a minute. ..doesn't sound like much but trust me is not easy to get if you are not contently in the front lines.

You can't suck if you have a good K/D Ratio and good KPM....Sorry u just can't because it means you are constantly killing people and not dying, this is good for your empire because it means you constantly keep pressure.

Now I know what people are going to say

"OMG what about medics/enginners/etc who are reviving people and doing other things that don't get kills"

First of all I never said these people suck, obviously you can be good in the game and not shoot anybody...You can help your team a lot....However this thread is to address that people who are the frontlines owning the enemy are good at the game.

This is why I said K/D Ratio+KPM show how good u r in the game MOST of the time...not all the time.

So yeah,Constant pressure where you kill people often + owning multiple people without dying = Great Planetside Player....Any logical person could see this, only in Planetside 2 there is some sort of hipster movement saying that isn't the case.

Also a reminder.

This is a KILLING GAME.

If you are good a KILLING Constently without DYING.....THAT means you are good at the core of the game.
    • Up x 2
  2. ZephyrBurst

What about those who are on the front line, doing their thing, and get the above magical numbers, but then like to spend time away? Such as roaming about on a flash for x amount of time to smell the roses, or any other huge number of things that happen in the game that take a player away from the fight?
    • Up x 11
  3. ddraig

without medics your attack fails, there's more to this game than shooting people. I have a terrible K/D ratio because I'm constantly being shot while reviving people (and also while running a platoon, omfg) - this K/D focus is lame. Just play the game and don't stress about other people's ****** length
    • Up x 6
  4. MostlyClueless

"Number of Sunderers killed" would be a good metric for how useful people are being. K/D isn't hard to pad and it's often by refusing to ever push the line and just camping for kills, an activity that is pretty useless in a game where people can be resurrected in seconds.
    • Up x 6
  5. Tommyp2006

Because farming with a viper lighting is hard.
    • Up x 14
  6. AzureKnight

The only reason i'll disagree is tank and lib spam... having a 50+:1 K/D ratio farming a base that can't put up a fight does not mean you're a good player. Same goes with KPM. You're not a good player when you're just spamming AOEs from 100+ meters to get kills.

Also, getting a 0.7 KPM is easy when you're at any zerged base, even when you die a bunch. If you say have 15 seconds to respawn, then another 15 seconds to get from your spawn room, you got 30 seconds to get a kill, which at towers is so very easy to do. Drop a stick of C4 on a group and you kill 5-8 guys, you just got a huge KPM boost right there. Mow through 3 guys before dying, that's 3 kills in the minute since you respawned, moved to shielded doors and peered out and died.

I will agree, though, that K/D and KPM are generally good indication of good INFANTRY players. If you played for 5 hours and avoided most zergs but still had that, that's pretty good.
    • Up x 3
  7. Robertooooo

That's why such stats is very unreliable. A player can have great KD and KPM but still suck because all it takes is pointing and clicking with the ultimate farminator.
  8. ddraig

esc > profile > leaderboard > outfit > one life -- kills

There's a guy in our outfit who got a 960 kill streak. K/D is a rubbish metric

I have not checked for all of vanu but I'll bet it's something even more ridiculous

edit: I mean my best is 120 or something. And I suck.

Lib+zephyr+thermals FTW, beeyotches
    • Up x 2
  9. Konfuzfanten

Excluding the vehicle+MAX crutche, then yes K/D and kill pr minute is a good indicator of skill. Is it end all be all?

Nope, but its pretty close to showing your real worth on the battlefield.

Talking about skill, Das Anfall's site http://stats.dasanfall.com/ got a pretty good stat: IVI score.
    Thats properly the closest we get to a real skill score.
  10. SiosDashcR

For me, if not your KDR - Then at least your SPM should be high.

My personal standards are: Above 2.0 KDR, if not that -- Above 250 SPM (w/o boosts).

This ensures that if I can't do well K/D-wise, that I'm contributing productively by getting a good amount of score.
    • Up x 1
  11. ddraig

so then leadership is a waste in this game? A well-organised platoon will destroy a random grouping far larger than 48 people, yet to do it properly the platoon leader will get very very very few kills. So this person is the most worthless on the battlefield? K/D is bunk
    • Up x 7
  12. AzureKnight

My highest viper killstreak is 48 only because i got bored farming and just ran in to a tower that had swarms of people. It blew up as I dove out and gunned a couple more down.
  13. ddraig

yeah I have no idea how I got such a big one, I'm assuming it was smashing a pile of infantry with a zephyr. I rarely tank it up since they nerfed magriders in beta >.<

yep, still cranky.
  14. Konfuzfanten

If we are talking individual skill, not "winning" PS2, then yes leadership counts less then pure skill.

1 guy (like Visigodo) is hands down better then 2-3 guys coordinating.

Skill > leadership, until you get to critical mass and leadership just steamroll skill.
    • Up x 1
  15. Wecomeinpeace

It all depends on your playstyle and what you're doing. Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges.

Even within the same class and/or vehicle playstyles/objectives can differ. One lightning may go farming infantry with the viper, another might go with attacking tanks -> completely different scores and k/d ratios. One infil may go stalker and hinder the advancement of a whole platoon while not firing a single shot, another goes clearing out rooms in a tower defense -> Both necessary and viable, completely different scores and k/d ratios. It simply all depends on many factors.
    Not to mention some people (like me) simply don't give a ****. I have been killed countless times while being afk or attempting crazy stunts. After all, this isn't UT, so with all the factors in mind there isn't really much to brag about in this regard imo.

And sadly, yes, this game revolves way too much around the killing. Which is a shame with the potential of a "MMO" fps.
    • Up x 2
  16. Modern Ancestor

Sonny K/D didnt mean squat long before COD's Battlefields and assorted stuff. Broaden your perspective a little things like K/D may or may not be solid fact and allways are a weak argument on how "good player" someone is. First define what is good player and then based on that gather more facts and we can talk.
    • Up x 4
  17. Vikingo

That is because of the scope of Planetside and the fact that it is a combined arms game. Once you join a good outfit and indulge in outfit play you will understand why individual stats are quite unimportant when you look at the bigger picture.

Stats give a indication of the quality of the player but it might just as well be a farmer or a very skilled player who prefer fights where he is majorly at a disadvantage, like fighting massive overpop.
    • Up x 6
  18. ZeroErrorz

the one thing k/d CANT show is leadership skill, most leader have BAD BAD BAD k/d, but without them we essentialy are headless chicken
    • Up x 4
  19. Crackulous

Highest kill streak is couple hundred after finding out one's able to launch grenades directly at the enemy spawn room inside the biolab while in the northern safe room. Those choosing to exit through the front face a 50% chance of death. I'd say the grenade launcher nerf was justified for this cause. I miss the rage tells and the easy mode cert gain though.
  20. Predatorv2

You can achieve very high kd/kpm ratios with Max suits in Biolabs or when farming with lib or when farming inf as a tank or when you are a kd ***** in a esf with light assault. Generally you will live longer and kill more, when you play heavy over engi/medic.

K/D and KPM alone, says nothing..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.