TR revamp is looking more like TR SC grab

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, Apr 7, 2014.

1. OgreMarkX

I was at first excited to hear that TR was getting a revamp. It's been clear for a long time that TR weaponry and vehicles have some serious downsides without the same level upsides. I won't recount them all here.

But from what I've seen so far, the TR revamp looks like a TR SC grab from SOE. New carbine? Ok cool. Revamped one existing carbine? Ok cool. But no word on changes to the majority of TR infantry weapons...except the MCG which, from what I've seen is underwhelming and amounts to a side-grade.

I was looking forward to TR weapons having some real diversity. Doesn't look like that is the direction being taken.

Is the striker still going to be an annoying downgrade to the all-factions-can-use Annihilator? Just give TR the Phoenix, at least that is fun to use. Couple the new "smart" targeting of lock on rockets and the planet's ground is in for more of a beating with Strikers. "Oh I hit the ground 5 times when shooting at a Liberator that was destroying all the armor with impunity". Derp.

"Locking on to a Reaver, waiting, waiting, FIRIING"
    Missiles shoots into the ground.
    "Nanites."

Anyone hear anything different? Or will this revamp consist of a quick round of SC for Sony and then back to a rack of look-a-like-act-alike popguns that have 10 rounds in the clip when you die?
  2. M2_Bradley

Did you even notice that the "new" TR carbine still recycles some parts of older guns?TR do not deserve anything new...But to be fair,so do the other new ES carbines.SOE can you PLEASE give us at least ONE bullpup?(yeah there's the NS cassette player but it just looks a bit off)
    • Up x 1
  3. OgreMarkX

Yes, Bradley I saw that. Disappointing. I've made the observation before that SOE's dev schedule looks something like:

"Ok gang, time to make some cool items and features for the game"
    "Ok boss, here we go!"
    3 weeks spent on NC
    1 week spent on VS
    "Ok time to move the non-tested code to live servers!"
    "Hey boss, we forgot that other faction, whatchamacallit? PR?"
    "Oh no worries...here...[cut and copy gun design, move one piece from one spot to another, adjust stats by 1] BAM, good to go"
    • Up x 1
  4. M2_Bradley

I just LOVE it when the SABR assault rifle and the RAMS sniper rifle have the same basic frame...Just add a scope instead of iron sights,another magazine,small aesthetic differences,and a different paint scheme.Now we have TWO different guns from the same from.(same with Gauss Saw and Longshot,btw).I just wish TRammell Isaac would be more original.He is the art director right?
    • Up x 1
  5. minhalexus

Dude they said a huge balance pass.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?
    THEY WILL PROBABLY CHANGE A LITTLE OF EVERY WEAPON.

Besides i do not see the problem with regular TR weapons. They do have better TTK,DPS and DPM on average compared to the NC guns.
    Regular weapons are fine.

What do you mean by diversity?
    The TR has quite a decent amount of diversity now.

Besides NC is going to be getting some known nerfs in this patch. "cough" vanguard shield "cough"
  6. Owen W.

Do you call only 2 infantry weapons in our ENTIRE arsenal having 167 damage models "diversity" ? Whereas NC have almost equal amounts of 200, 167 and 143 weapons ? Check your stats, TR are hardly diverse at all.

And the Vanguard shield needed a nerf. It was an "I win" thing and all NC know it.
  7. Dr Baralax

...but...but isn't that the point?
    • Up x 1
  8. Owen W.

All I want is for the T7 Mini Chaingun to have a larger default magazine size. Otherwise I'll want my certs back...
  9. Rift23

So was the infiltrator update. The motion sensor was about the only useful tool added; everything else was about urging you to buy some cheesy NS pistol to go with the garbage Camper (stalker) cloak and kill-farm.
  10. minhalexus

3 weapons after this patch. Thats a 50% increase.

Besides, you need to compare RoF, when comparing NC weapons to TR and talking about weapon diversity.
    You are doing it wrong if you only compare the damages.

Compare the RoFs if you want to compare for TR.
    A weapon is useless if it does less damage and fires at a slower rate.

Oh yea, TR also gets 125 damage carbines at 900 RPM. (thats diversity)

The TR does not have lots of diversity ATM, but after this patch they will.
    TR weapons on average has more DPM and DPS than NC weapons.
  11. Paperlamp

Uh how about we compare TTK and effective range. You know, what all that stats add up to and what actually matters?

NC and VS guns still cover a wider variety of ranges and TTK.
  12. Maljas23

Guys, the full April balance patch probably isn't even on the PTS yet. Notice we don't have the AV turret changes or the Striker revamp.
    • Up x 1
  13. OgreMarkX

The other issue is that VS and NC get access to NS weapons as well, which are pretty much TR weapons, and in some case, arguably better than TR weapons. Do the TR get a generic version of VS or NC weapons? Nope.

So the NC especially get diversity. They get the best of all three factions pretty much. Not to mention instagib CQC maxes (albeit not as bad the early months of 2013 where they were hugely OP and were left that way for months) and the ever popular iwin shield for tanks.

It's all been said before I know, but I am not liking what I am seeing so far in regards to the TR revamp. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

So a carbine change and a side-grade "haha" for the MCG doesn't really thrill me much.
  14. Cromell

Some people just won't be satisfied no matter what happens.

Personally, I'm really positive about the upcoming changes. We do need that 167 carbine (and we're getting one) Lynx needs a revamp to make it remotely attractive compared to Jaguar (and it's receiving such a revamp). MCG needs something to give it the "oomph" that Jackhammer and Lasher have. I'm fine with having to choose between a bigger mag and that "oomph", but we'll see how it turns out once the patch goes live.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that Vulcan has yet to receive a balance pass (got nerfed way too harsh, especially the prowler variant) and the Striker DESPERATELY needs some changes.
    • Up x 1
  15. MasterCheef

so.

as long as they arent making things worse, i dont mind. I find most new weapons arent really THAT much of an improvenemt over starter weapons anyway.
  16. minhalexus

Please, all the NS weapons I've used have 652 RPM, while most TR weapons have 750 RPM.

For NC:- Its the same damage as TR, just less RPM.

If you look at it this way, then the TR does get generic of NC weapons.

For TR:- Its about the same RoF as NC, just lesser damage.

Sure they can put up a Razor as a NS weapon.

Scatmaxes are highly arguable, since they are only effective in 8m. And many a times you have to land 3 shots instead of 2.
    Vanguard shield is being nerfed, so there you have it.
  17. OgreMarkX

Good points Minhalexus. But in trying out the NS weapons, I just found them to be much more controllable than the TR variant. I'd rather HIT what I shoot at a few times then MISS what I shoot at a lot of times.

People talk about RoF a lot, but it seems to me landing shots is what counts. A bit like spray and pray AK-47 users vs the Marksmen M-16/4 users. Smart bombs vs Dumb bombs.

In speaking of the NS weapons, I was speaking primarily about the VARIETY they offer to NC and VS vs TR, and in some cases, the NS weapons are better than the TR variants (Hailstorm SMG for example is < than the NS version). And again, the NS annihilator is actually SUPERIOR to the TR "special" STRIKER.

Who's a special boy? WHO'S A SPECIAL LIL' BOY? <pats Striker on the head>

I'm glad tro hear the iwin shield is on deck for a balance. Thing is ridiculous. I bet if your Vanguard couldn't move while iwin was active, you'd start to understand the joy that it is to be a TR Prowler (or MAX).
  18. Killuminati C

The Striker needs some love, I'll give you that. Aside from that I like TR weapons better than any other faction with the exception of a full auto long range assault rifle. And a 167dmg carbine was needed and is included in this patch so 1 out of 2 for me isn't bad.

I'm not really a fan of the Vanguard shield nerf as without it it's a pretty lackluster tank but I knew all the complaints were gonna wear the devs down eventually.

Whatever, at least some of the 4th factioners that prefer to jump onboard whomever is overpop at the moment will finally jump ship leaving me to finally be able to play NC again.
  19. Stargazer86

Funny. I prefer VS weapons over what we have. They feel more controllable with a much faster reload speed that I just love. TR guns feel like snails when it comes to reloading, which is arguable much more important than the mere 10 extra bullets that we get in compensation. And I would trade you absolutely any TR LMG for the Orion.

The Vanguard shield nerf is a joke. The whole mechanic needs to be reworked, not just knocking down the iWin button from 8 seconds to 6. Being able to panic pop a shield that prevents a large amount of damage just plain wins fights.
    • Up x 1
  20. OgreMarkX

Ya as I mentioned earlier, make the Vanguard immobile while IWIN is active. Give NC a taste of TR and see how things go.