How is the Lancer an even remotely fair weapon?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Frostiken, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Akeita

Lancer also is extremely stronk against MAXes
  2. -MJ12-

That may be right, but last time I checked the vanguard shield worked against lancers too.

Why, rolling around and being completely invincible of course?
  3. TheFamilyGhost

Nothing is fair.
  4. NUKABAZOOKA

Have people run out of balance issues to complain about so they make things up?
    • Up x 4
  5. Nepau

More that they smell the Balance pass and think they can get more VS weapons nurfed. I'm sure after this Patch with the Melee updates we will start getting "VS KNIVES ARE OP" threads going. So same old same old.
  6. Robes

This is where i ask why is it fair that you can shoot a tank while not being in line of sight? A lancer shoots me i can kill him, a phoenix shoots me i can't.
  7. -MJ12-

If VS gets lightsabers everyone will call them OP regardless how effective they are. :D
  8. Axehilt

Lancer has been the best ESAV since I started playing retail, basically. (Even back during the phase where the Striker was considered OP, the Lancer was still better.) By design it's just fundamentally better at filling its role (and distinct from the common pool options) than the others, and then on top of that is more fun to use because it has a higher skill cap.

That doesn't make it OP. No infantry AV is overpowered. Infantry AV is weak by definition. But relative to the other ESAVs, the Lancer is the best and has been for quite a while.

...for skilled players, at least. For the unskilled, things are a lot more balanced.
    • Up x 4
  9. Alarox

You're under the opinion that tanks should be unable to fight back against AV (infantry) in addition to being at the mercy of aircraft. Yeah, totally invincible.
    • Up x 1
  10. Kite Carling

This is the poster-child for ill-informed posts by theorycrafting newbies. You can't, at BR32 with a total of 73 kills in your vehicle of choice (lightning - good choice btw), form a reasoned argument about balance. You're just too 'green'. I don't mean this in a nasty way, and it's great that you're contributing, but it's bizarre to suggest the lancer is overpowered. I die so infrequently to them (and I've piloted a lot of ground vehicles for all factions).

Grab a lancer and use your VS toon in actual combat. You'll soon see that the grass isn't greener - it's pretty crap-brown in fact.

Kills by people that don't render suck though. Agreed on that.

Phoenix: fun and fills a unique niche. Also, can definitely be used in CQC. Experiment ;)
    Striker: ugh! Rework this already, please.
    Lancer: weak, but potentially deadly and annoying in teams. It's simply not OP though
  11. Tommyp2006

You ruined your entire argument very early on by having a wrong damage calculation on the Pheonix. It does FAR more than 750 damage per missile against vehicles, in fact it does the same 2000 damage to vehicles that the decimator does (or a very similar value). That 750 damage is ONLY against infantry, to keep it from one hit killing them.
    • Up x 5
  12. vincent-

The lancer like every other weapon is only overpowered when there are groups of them on one target any other day it's good for picking off dying targets it's rather stupid to rely on that for ops or small squad engagements as the ammo and damage is very low.

TLDR: Up yours were just got our saron nerfed for no good reason you plenty of crap that's way too good to have.
  13. -MJ12-

Nope, I am under the opinion that you need infantry, tanks AND aircraft for a successful battle. Welcome to the world of combined arms!
    If tanks could easily get rid of experienced, organised AV infantry (not only lancers) there would be no point in AV weapons at all. That's just like an ESF pilot getting angry because 3 skyguards are blocking his access to his beloved farmland.
  14. WetPatch

Haha the Lancer OP?

DIdnt we change the name to the tickler? But i tell you whats even more OP than the Tickler, is the Dual Ticklers they gave to our Maxs.
  15. Clockwerk

Better solution give us Vanu the Pheonix, and I will swap the Lancer to NC ANY Mo-***** DAY.

Starting now.
  16. Clockwerk

Tank is for front line and to lead the Zerg, and it's working PERFECTLY as intended. It is NOT to be a broken factor that dominates everything in this game.

One thing I LOVE about this game is that EVERYTHING is KILLABLE. So no such bs that "I'm now in a tank so I lolololol into your infantry face."

That sh*t was what happen with ESF and tanks back into early release of this game.
  17. DQCraze

nerf it all you want no one uses it. It's highly specialized, and does not have the same cool factor. The lancer is a tool used by organized outfits/groups.

Example: After emptying all the ammo from the lancer into a vanguard, I had to squint to see that I barely damaged it at all. When I came back to damage him some more he saw me and I ate a heat round. So there you have the single player out in the open version of what happens on a regular basis and why it's not widely used.
  18. Qaz

The lancer is not a fair weapon at all, but that doesn't mean that it's OP. In my opinion, they actually did a good job balancing this thing. It's potentially devastating against armour, but you need both a good position and a few friends (ideally, 12) with lancers to make the weapon work in the first place. As a solo weapon, it's rather pointless because the per shot damage is low and requires a charge-up, whereas most other launchers front-load the damage. This makes the lancer at most annoying for tanks and pointless against infantry, when not used as part of an organised squad.

The lancer being so crap against infantry/for cqc also means that it's not part of most standard loadouts, which mitigates the potential issue further.
    • Up x 1
  19. maudibe

The Phoenix (your NC specific launcher) recieved no nerf when ALL lock ons were nerfed and youre complaining? Wow. While everyone else had to suffer missing targets you could point, shoot and witness the hit. As a AV mana turret user i die to phoenixs almost more than to snipers yet NO OTHER LAUNCHER can hit me except by extreme luck and usually at close range (which i am not, if i can avoid it). So my vote is to gret rid of the phoenix and give your NC a lock on in its place and see how you like it. You would get the same nerf all other lock-ons got. But to your joy, you would get more damage and same flight times by your own admission. Win-win.
  20. Maljas23

Ironically, there are still VS out there who call the Lancer terrible. I really don't get why. I'd trade old Striker for the current Lancer in a heartbeat.
    • Up x 1