Is the Warden worth it for someone who mains Heavy/Engi?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by King Feraligatr, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Lueyja2

Can't speak for the Warden but as VS I think I am one of the few people that really enjoys the BR with my heavy. Try it out for a bit and see if you like it would be my recommendation.
  2. Flying Mug

Yeah you have to try it to really know whether the battle rifle is your thing or not. They're only 250 certs. I like mine, use it a lot. Especially on Engineer.
  3. King Feraligatr

Well I bought the Warden. Time will tell if I made the right purchase. I'll also think about getting the Razor later. Thanks for the input. Feel free to use this thread to discuss battle rifles and the like in general.
  4. Solidpew

Hi there. I'll give my input after having gotten the Auraxium medal with the Razor & having bought the Warden a few days ago.

The Razor has an interesting dynamic: the bullet velocity is quite good, and adding HVA to it makes the gun feasible for long range. I've gotten kills on people far away (50m+) by gentle tapping of the gun, and it doesn't require too much leading when you shoot, which is why I've had such a good time with it. Add onto that the fact that you can hold the trigger down in close quarters and have a reasonable chance (shotguns and CQC guns still have the advantage, but never underestimate well landed full auto because bullets kill fast in this game), I'd argue it's a strong weapon that has a lot of potential once you're familiar with it.

As for the Warden, I have only had it for a few days like I said, but I've been enjoying it. The difference I've felt (besides the obvious semi-automatic shots) is that you have a high chance to kill people far away in mere seconds if they aren't too hard to keep a target on because the gun settles from recoil extremely fast + deals high damage despite range (oh yeah, HVA on this gun feels great, too). I like having more of a ranged style of fighting, so this gun calls to me in many ways. The biggest downside is CQC, and even with a laser grip, I've had painful moments where I point my crosshair at someone nearly point blank and see shot after shot miss. This gun can kill quick in close quarters, but it has a vulnerability when these engagements arrive in comparison to the Razor.

A lot of what I learned about the Warden actually came from Wrel, as he has a video about the battle rifles, and it's explained quite well what to expect. Oh yeah, I've never used a compensator on any of these- flash suppressor all the way!
    • Up x 1
  5. Naterian

The warden is a fantastic gun. Just know the recoil pattern is very simple...up and right, every shot. Soon as you master that, you'll easily win every medium range encounter.

Also, head shots make a BIG difference.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

Too low damage. Should have 334.
  7. Goretzu

Honestly I'd probably just take the NC6 SAW for HA (or infact an Anchor or EM6 and not worry about trying to snipe with them) and Razor for Engi as they are both more flexible (and more forgiving if you are a bad shot).

However the Warden has some mileage for the Engi, but it is one of those weapons you'll likely love or hate so it is hard for anyone to really tell you want to do.
  8. KnightCole

Are they worth it? At 250 certs...maybe...

But if your a bad shot already in close, I highly doubt you will perform any better with a longer range weapon that pretty much requires close to 100% accuracy to amount to anything.
  9. Being@RT

I haven't used it but..

for long range encounters it looks strictly better than Gauss SAW, the big thing being the damage falloff, which is half a tier rather than a full one: you never deal less than 225. It's looks to be unquestionably better than the AC-X11 on the long ranges as well due to the carbine having two tiers of damage dropoff.

That keeps it at a 4 bodyshot kill range.
    You'll always kill an infiltrator with two headshots.
    The Gauss SAW at long range deals 167 damage, which is three headshots to kill or 6 bodyshots.

At close range (under 8m), the battle rifles have the fastest headshot TTK (0.18s) barring weapons that oneshot kill.. if you can pull it off. Beyond 8m this advantage is lost and the TTK doubles (0.36s with two headshots and a bodyshot, 0.48 with a headshot and two bodyshots or 0.72 with four bodyshots), but it's a fun tidbit anyways and something people generally don't know about because the weapons are so rare. Not something you should rely on practice tho, but aimbotters really should have started using these weapons a long time ago.

The 25 extra damage over 200 damage tier lets the weapon deal with lower levels of nanoweave without an increase in TTK: NW1 & NW2 are still 4 bodyshot kill at any range, NW3 up to 61m, NW4 up to 45m and NW5 up to 8m.
    My gut feeling says NW4 is the most common level of nanoweave in use, and being able to 4 bodyshot them up to 45m is a nice advantage. The Gauss SAW in the meanwhile

All of the above kinda rests on you being a good shot of course.. automatic weapons tend to be more forgiving, especially at close range. I also do not understand why the Battle Rifles have 0.1 stand ADS CoF, the same as the least accurate carbines.. in practice a 0.1 degree CoF matters little though - 0.1 degrees cone at 100m distance covers a target 17cm in diameter (which should still mean you can hit a head sized target with spot on aim).
    However, the 0.25 CoF ADS moving results in 43cm possible spread at 100m, necessitating standing still to fire at long range.

If I were to buff Battle Rifles, I'd probably give them a 0.00 standing still ADS CoF. They are marksman weapons and accuracy should be their thing.. having same starting CoF as CQC carbines just seems out of place. The moving ADS CoF is at least better than the majority, but still worse than burstfire weapons so I'd reduce that to 0.15 as well (on par with TR/NC burst carbine/AR).

---

I'll probably buy the Warden myself as my next weapon just to give me more playstyle options. I don't actually feel like I need more weaponry (I've got a bunch I haven't even used yet already!), but the thing looks interesting enough on paper.
  10. Codex561

I dont like them, but from the words of someone who does...
  11. Llaf

Battle-rifles and to some extent, slug shotguns, used to be the perfect counter-sniping platforms for heavy assaults, until the nanoweave nerf. Used to be you could take 1 headshot from a bolt action without dying with resist shield up and nanoweave, but no longer. Wouldn't recommend it, especially for the NC, who of course get the SAW by default, which is basically a battle rifle with a 100 round box mag. Each faction also gets one shotgun by default now too, so you could easily drop 100 certs on slugs and get basically the same result you would with the battle rifle, only slugs do more damage(3 hit kill)
  12. Cirevam

This is true, but slugs have horrible velocity. It's something like 350 m/s while battle rifles get 600+ and have access to HV ammo. There's the tradeoff: raw damage with more leading, or higher accuracy with less damage.

I certed the Warden recently and it's alright. I've only had about an hour with it and I'm learning that my usual playstyle isn't working too well, but I nabbed a few kills with it. I'm treating it as a "for fun" gun and a way to help improve my aim.
  13. Mut0mb0

i got the eidolon a week ago and thought it would suck at least in CQC, but to my surprise, its even useable there.
    I slaped a lasersight onto it and use it like a commissioner.

whats not working so well for me, is headshots at longer (50m+) ranges. I use the 2X scope right now and it feels as if the center of the weapon is a bit below the red dot. Pointing exactly at the head at these ranges, will most likely only result in bodyshots.
    Will try other Scopes :)
    • Up x 1
  14. Captain Kid

How about VS? Whats a good long(er) range weapon for Heavy and/or Engineer?
    I'm trialling the Eicholon now and it fires pretty fast which I like with not much recoil.
  15. Casterbridge

As NC if you were talking just Heavy I would say not worth it, Saw would fill similar role. For Engineer it an be fun running around with one from time to time, at the right ranges it can be quite effective. The Razor would probably be more practical overall especially if you are having lag issues I would think, but it's a cheap gun so just save up some certs and try it out for a while.
  16. maudibe

The beauty of the NC weapons is that you can choose single shot, which cant be done with TR and Vanu wepons as much. I play TR and Vanu and have the battle rifles AMR and Eidolon and with laser sight on each. I use them for Engi when doing AV mana turret at long range, to be able to "see" long range and hit snipers or guys at long range and still be able to take out the cloaker who comes to get me at close range. On HA if i am up on the tower pad with a launcher or AV turret i am taking mid to long range shots and it is very useful. With both guns i use a cross hair 4X scope and countersnipe or?. The semi auto settles quick after a shot and i can quickly take multiple shots at guys and get hits. I get hits on guys on plataues long range off just by lobbing rounds in, in their direction and getting lucky. Maybe for NC it isnt as much an add as you have the capability of single shotting (so no recoil) and putting a 4 X scope on the guass saw and can go full auto on the mid range stuff for versatility. I dont see as much an advantage in the battle rifle for NC as for the other factions, but i ...dont play NC so i dont know. Trial it for the 30 minutes for free in regular battle first.
  17. KnightCole

That quote....3 shots? Lol.. Ive never killed someone in 3 shots with a BR...5 maybe...8...but never 3. and yes I mean 3 hits.
  18. Ronin Oni

They require pretty good accuracy so it may not be a good fit for you...

BUT they are the best option available when fighting over fields between bases at ranges >50-60m often upwards of 100m.

Toss on a 4x and use it like a DMR/Semi-Auto Sniper

Once you get inside base fights I'd say you're better off with standard class weapons. Particularly given your admittance to weaker aim skills
  19. Codex561

Oh whoops! I meant the write 4, since the dmg is 250 and people dont use nanoweave anymore.
  20. Crackulous

Considering you're NC, you're not deficit of long range options at all. There are better ones to choose from.