M12 Kobalt: The Best Sundy Gun You've Probably Never Used?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bruno Puntz Jones, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Pikachu

I have dual kobalt on my sounderer. One with zoom the other with thermal. Only one time have I had 2 competent gunners for it. Driving around a base during an assault killing infantry. They seemed to enjoy it. I wish kobalt kept it's old laser precision and got damage raised to 220.
  2. Rift23

Kobalts are fun, I find one, I hop in, and give some Rambo engineer/LA a nasty surprise.
  3. ScrapyardBob

Basilisk is not that weak against armor, (2) basi's will rip apart lightnings and other vehicles. It's the best all-around generalist weapon if you need to defend against armor / air / infantry / MAX.
  4. Timithos

Since they buffed the basilisk, I still carry 2 on my sunderer. Pre-basalisk buff, I carried one bulldog. I've recently installed one kobalt because of the buff, and I still keep the bassy.
  5. Meeka

I almost use the Kobalt on top of my tanks, exclusively, these days, for quite some time.

Best AI weapon, ever.
  6. St0mpy

one v a tank is, as mentioned previously in the thread, two or more fine
  7. Mostadio

Every AI weapon in this game suffers from the same issue: it doesn't do anything against armor, whereas AV weapons are perfectly fine at AI.
  8. TheFamilyGhost

I've been running Kobalt and Bulldog on my Sundy since day one. I like the mix. Sundys shouldn't be expected to be anti vehicle, IMO, so I'm looking for my sundy to be good when the enemy infantry rush.

Kobalt and bulldog mix seem to work very well when the chips are down.
  9. Tuco

In PS1 AV weapons were balanced by the ammo taking up more inventory space than AI weapons, and we didn't have no ammo packs. So....
  10. Bruno Puntz Jones

I've come to have pretty much the same view. It's fine to want something that is good all around, but the problem is that any vehicle driver that isn't terrible is going to kill your Sunderer, unless you are running a fully mobile battle Sundy with Racer + two good gunners, and outflanking him.

Deployed Sundys will only kill outright awful tankers, who are stupid enough to drive up in your face and sit there trading shots with you. Even then, the only thing you have a chance against is terrible Lightning drivers, and against those the Bulldog takes them out quicker in my experience.

The Kobalt won't defend against tanks and Libs, but nothing you can put on a Sundy will, when you get down to it (again, talking about stationary Sundys, not fully manned, actively flanking, Racer specced battle busses). The Kobalt will kill enemy infantry and MAX units, Flashes, Harassers, and ESFs if they're careless (which they fairly often are, thinking you're an easy kill). It also at least has a chance to take out engineer turrets, which the alternatives are terrible at in any situation. And it has much better applied damage on C4 fairies than the Basilisk, because it can actually land all its shots if you do your job, which the Basi and Walker simply cannot do against infantry even in the best hands.

It's not a weapon that can counter anything thrown at your deployed Sundy. But it will counter the things you have a chance of actually fighting off, and it does as good or better a job at it, with better ease of use. As a point defense weapon it stacks up very well against the alternatives, short of a Bulldog in skilled hands.
  11. Hoki

It used to be better when it was lacked bloom.

It had an edge over the basi back then when it was a bullet laser. Now I'd rather roll basi and or walker.

The buff to headshot damage while also introducing bloom was an ignorant buff, bring back the bullet laser imo.
  12. Akeita

But no one cares, we need a beacon represent "Gun this for me you ****, I already call you 11 times" on their mini map
  13. InoxGecko

Ah yes...the Kobalt. That thing saved my *** so many times while going up against a couple enemy heavies taking pot shots at my anchored prowler...Since I can't hit infantry with the main gun :eek:

lol, kinda funny since nobody expects a Kobalt on the Prowler :rolleyes:
  14. Crackulous

You are incorrect. In reality, the Ranger is the best gun for killing infantry.
  15. JudgeDeath

:eek:
    • Up x 1