Health and Damage buff for lower pop faction.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CalculatedRisk, Apr 6, 2014.

1. CalculatedRisk

Population imbalance is not a new problem that always effect the gameplay of ps2 for a long time, and always the faction with lower pop will always suffer. Imagine you are a new player, keep getting killed every time you walk out the spawn room, or getting camp by 20 people when going out of the tunnels in the amp station...this would be a really bad experience and might lead them to conclude that this game is not for them and uninstall ps2, or even worse, join the 4th faction.
    We cant force people to choose which faction they should choose, if they want to choose the "zerg",its really up to them if they prefer easy fights.
    Let face it, even for the most organised Platoons, they can`t cope with overwhelming pop. Maybe sometimes they can hold a base with 10 to 1 odds but it a rare sight.

WE REALLY NEED SOMETHING TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD.

So, how about buffing the lower pop faction health and damage a bit. obviously it scale with the differences of the % of the 3 faction.

Let say if VS is like 70% pop on the continent and NC 20% pop (50% pop diff) the buff to NC is like +30% hp n dmg?

If TR 10% pop their buff would be +10% versus NC(since 10% pop diff with nc) and +30% ~ +40% hp n damage buff versus Vanu?

This is just a rough numbers suggestion, it would make some differences in the fight, especially for organised platoon.

I really like to hear what ppl think, IS IT A PLAUSIBLE SOLUTION TO PS2 POPULATION INBALANCE?
  2. MarkAntony

No. Players shouldn't be harder to kill because of pop imbalance.
    • Up x 5
  3. Paragon Exile

So you mean buff the Vanu?

How could I, a loyal disciple of Vanu, do anything but agree?
  4. Captain Kid

nope, having characters on two servers both underpopped I don't like the idea of even more health and damage differences.
    It would also be hell to balance.

I'm in favour of reducing the respawn timer for lower pops. Basically having a dynamic timer.
    Not sure if it should be adjusted for planet or world population.
  5. Atis

No, just make XP bonus much higher than now and calculate it on per base basis.
  6. Redshift

Well that's a sure fire way to make people leave the game in droves.
    • Up x 1
  7. Kurohagane

I think respawn timers should be locally adjusted for pop, but not overcompensate so having more population in a hex still actually gives you an advantage. Just not a horribly smashing one.
  8. Halon

Low pop factions could use things other than health and damage buffs.

Resource buffs.
    Vehicle/MAX timer reductions.
    Spawn timer reductions.
    Fast shield/health regen.
    Further XP buffs.
    • Up x 2
  9. OldMaster80

The only way to balance population imho is to adjust xp dynamically for every territory instead of giving bonus / maglia for Global population. A 66% of tr kicking a 34% of vs should never get full xp.
  10. TheFamilyGhost

I can't believe such a ridiculous suggestion would even be made. WOW.
    • Up x 1
  11. Bruno Puntz Jones

Just make the invulnerability bug a feature.

When your faction gets outnumbered by 2:1 or more on a continent, give everyone a 10% chance to get 60 seconds of damage immunity each minute. You won't know when you're going to get it, and it's only 60 seconds, so "positioning and tactics will be important" to make use of it. And once you get it, you'll get a 600 second debuff so it can't hit again for at least 10 minutes.

Make the character or vehicle avatar double in size and have some sort of sinister green glow and flash a HULK MODE alert text on the screen just to make it fun.
  12. Kulantan

Resource bonuses, big ones, are the best way to do this.
  13. Taemien

I think faster cap times would be better. Basically if you're outnumbered by alot, then your bases take twice as long to lose, bases you assault take half the time to capture. This allows the low pop faction to focus all of their forces on a single territory without fear of losing all other territories. And the other two factions HAVE to split up their forces to avoid losing territories to counter this.

Reason for this is even with a low pop, a faction will still have ghost cappers. These will be particularly effective since small outposts would only take 90-120 seconds to cap, faster than alot can react to, and by the time they do, it takes 6-8 minutes to take it back. Allowing them to move elsewhere and do it again.

It'd be a nightmare to keep bases away from a lower pop, kinda like fighting guerrilla warfare.

In addition I would increase exp/resource gain by 3x the bonus lower pop gets now. As well as include that bonus in the passive cert gain. Makes it more enticing to switch as you can quickly get back up to speed to your main.
  14. Frostiken

Punishments to the overpopped faction are the only way to properly balance it.

But today's day and age, you can't punish players, because someone might get der widdle feewings hurt.
  15. KnightCole

Health and damage buffs cuz your outnumbered?

NO NO NO NO and a thousand times NOOoOOO00000ooOOoooOOo
    • Up x 1
  16. Kriegson

Supply system could help a lot with pop imbalance. Higher pop bases will draw more resources leaving the troops with less to pull. If you have fewer players you can pull equipment more frequently.
  17. minhalexus

Or they can somehow trick new players into joining the UP faction, and implying a rule that you can not make characters from 2 factions in 1 server.
  18. eldarfalcongravtank

HELL NO! we dont need stronger units just because they happen to be underpopulated -- and that's coming from a waterson Vanu player, a faction that is usually less populated than others during off-peak hours

the devs just need to implement something like xp bounties for killing someone from the overpopulated faction, like a flat +500xp bonus. that will make people join and play underpopulated empires
  19. Sledgecrushr

Im all for increasing the exp bonus for underpopped battles.
  20. Dtswiss

If you doudle the pop in a territory, you should get half the experiences for kills and support tasks. If u want to zerg 48/48+ players versus 12 enemies than accept the fact that you wont get any decent experience. It's lame and a waist of resources. If people can't be smart than the game needs to do it for them with hard counters or negative consequences. This will turn people away and make them go to other contested territories. So many times have I seen a territory needing reinforcement and not get it while 48+ players sitting on a base with less than 12 enemies.

Logic? There needs to be a hard negative effect that will make zerg question or think twice about doing it.

60% vs 40% = acceptable
    anything more than 67% vs 33% = pure wastefulness

The impact of territory pop is much more relevant than server pop exp bonus for for being underpop.