The new T7 Mini Chaingun on PTS... Is a nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Owen W., Apr 5, 2014.

1. Dan_Killian

At 20-30 meters the CARV should kill a lot faster than the MCG. The MCG is not meant to be a all around LMG, it is meant to be a bullet hose. The live version is a bullet hose (that happens to be marginally effective at range) the PTS version is a awesome bullet hose that has had its effective range decreased.

If the MCG killed as fast at the CARV at 20-30 meters, then the MCG would be extremely over powered.
  2. Owen W.

As I attempted to communicate above (in other posts), that which you state is not my main problem. The problem is that the new RoF attachment comes with too much of a downside: you fire the weapon for ~6 seconds, and reload for about 5 seconds after that. There's to little uptime compared to the amount of downtime, if you see what I mean. Also, how is the weapon supposed to be good at CQC with that bloody spin up timer ?
  3. Pikachu

The new ROF cert thing should be in by default. [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  4. Owen W.

Precisely. At least that would make content.

PS: why you always write in yellow ? Is it because you're... Pikachu ?
  5. Owen W.

6. Frosty The Pyro

well 100/7.5 is 13.33 not 14, but it is 800 rpm and 100/6.25 is 16 (960 rpm). though your rounding of 13.33 to 14 makes a large error in you time per round fired (it would be 0.0125). That would give the pts version 20% higher raw dps, which is a value I would judge to be significant. though with the games ttks being low as they are you can still argue as to weather or not it would be noticeable, of course with ttks being as low as they are the difference of one or two bullets is actually pretty big in determining who lives and who dies.

however, its important to know how those time values came from, becuase the MCGs ramp mechanic means it does not have a linear dps. As I was under the impression 800 was the rpm it ramped to in live, which would mean it should take longer than 7.5 seconds to dump a 100 round mag because of the the time spent on a lower rpm. so either 7.5 is the correct time and the end rpm is something higher than 800, or the actual time for a mag dump is longer than 7.5. Essentially those calculated fire rates would be average fire rates meaning the starting rate is slower than those values and the end rate is higher.

A good test would be to get the mag dump time (T1) for the standard mag (R1), and then the mag dump time (T2) of an extended mag (R2). then (R2-R1)/(T2-T1) will give the rounds per second at maximum spin up because you will be subtracting out the ramp up times in the end math.

though as the fire rate attachment is in place of the ammo attachment for the pts version there is no way to remove the spin of time from the new version without either doing frame by frame annalysis of a high quality video or datamining the values from the code, both of wich i am unable to do.

as for the down time bit, a 5 second reload is not something you want to do in danger regardless, if you were still in a fight you would switch to your side arm, or run for cover. having a faster dump means less time in the relative open firing which is safer for you. most of the time you are not in 100% danger (or at least not the type that would have you going maximum fire/reload cycle), you reload between engagements or in cover which is a sunk time. baring overkill (wasting bullets on already dead targets), there is no downside to being able to dump same sized mag faster. Compared to extended mags of course now you have something to consider, a faster dump makes you more dangerous NOW, a larger mag lets you take on larger groups (assuming they arent shooting back, in which case you are likely dead before it matters).

and for those of you who are wanting a absolutly massive magazine, you may want to check out the HA thread in my sig, the Phobos pattern minichaingun would be right up your alley
    • Up x 3
  7. minhalexus

Actually i can do fine with the MCG within 20m. At 30m its feels like a drag, but its good enough to suppress an enemy, even though you will probably not kill him in most cases.

I agree that the MCG can use a buff in magazine size.
    MCG is a spamming weapon, and for spamming you need magazine.

I think SOE is doing it right.
    The FART will perform better in small fights.
    The ex-mags will perform better in larger fights.

I would personally like the FART over exmags, simply cuz that suits my play-style more.
    As you see that it does give you a significant buff in DPS and TTK.

Actually its supposed to be used in clearing large mobs, kind of like you know there will be an enemy around the corner, and you start the spin-up timer just a second before you go in.

10-20m is the ideal range for this weapon, i feel like a beast in those places.
    In most cases you can always find cover in distances of 10-20m.
    Its not hard to neutralize the spin-up timer by firing it before you come out.
  8. LibertyRevolution

Thank you for the clarification frosty.
  9. Revanmug

THe ACX11 isn't a long range gun but a medium range one. The Razor is the NC long range carbine.
  10. Edenwolf

Love the rate of Fire increase, maybe the MCG will actually suppress now.
  11. Aractain

For people calculating the DPS etc do we know the damage with the attachment? I haven't seen anyone mention it. It seems to change (more shots to kill) when I put it on (or maybe im craaazzzyyy).

Also the 1.5 headshot multiplier is still there (almost every other gun has 2x, even smgs).
  12. Robertooooo

Just so you know, most other LMG's are more accurate than the MCG. It only gives the illusion of amazing accuracy.
    • Up x 1
  13. R6xSNAKExBOXESx

lol...
    lol, I approve of lockdown MCG for a joke :D
  14. R6xSNAKExBOXESx

Cactus, move along citizen as I have revoked my post, REASON: I didn't like it and I don't see a way to delete.
  15. JorgeSarcos

Its not "illusion" when you are on the other end (im VS), that gun is seriously WAY ACCURATE and definitely needs a nerf.
  16. minhalexus

Actually the gun is not very accurate, but it RoF kind of makes up for it, and the cone of fire works to its advantage.
    That being said, this advantage is only effective between 10-20m.

No it does not need a nerf.
    It could use a magazine buff though.
    • Up x 1
  17. PlatoonLeaderG

Just tried the new MCG and the gun has got massive CQC buff and massive long range nerf.
    The gun is perfect right now,its what i wanted for MCG.Seriously my bad luck i already auraxium it :(
    The only thing i agree with others it need to move the new attachment to another slot.
  18. Vearo

I can kill approximately twice as fast with a MSW-R at 60m than with a live MCG. If you're getting killed by it at that range you would have died to any LMG.
    • Up x 1
  19. Baracuda

This gun's DPS is way to high, its damage per bullet should be lowered to 112 with the RoF extention on there, if my math is correct it would currently be able to take a max down in just under 2 seconds.
  20. Robertooooo

Yes it is. The same accuracy could be achieved by the CARV for an example.
    • Up x 1