How to get people to stop standing in front of turrets?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Bruno Puntz Jones, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Bruno Puntz Jones

Obvious answer is shoot them in the back of the head. But weapon lock gets a little tedious after the first couple times.
    • Up x 2
  2. Pelojian

did you ever consider sending them a tell asking them to not obscure your turret's barrel?
  3. Killerdude8

You and I both know that never works, If anything that inspires them to stand more directly in front of the turret..

But yeah, Shooting them seems to be the best option, They gotta learn eventually..
    • Up x 5
  4. vanu123

If I ask them to move more than often they do.
  5. FishMcCool

Latency doesn't help unfortunately... There's a critical delay between the moment you start suppressing with the turret and the moment your allies can hear/see it. Enough that they started running across... I mainly use the turret for suppression fire, and start shooting well before allies come too close to the line since i know they won't have the time to react. Proximity voice helps a lot too for warning.
    • Up x 1
  6. CptSundancer

True story. Deployed my AI turret to cover a door, opened fire. Allied infi jumped in front of my stream of hot lead, so I stopped firing, and said sorry. Began firing again once the lane of fire was clear. Said infi walks up behind me, and knife kills me. o_O

I've lost almost all sympathy for people who run in front of my turret. I will stop firing long enough to give them time to get out of the way, but that's it. Usually a few bullets to the leg/torso/arm/head will convince them I mean business, and prevent me from getting weapons lock. Aside from that, not a lot you can do.
    • Up x 1
  7. LibertyRevolution

Stop putting them in front of the spawn room exit, then you can stop shooting me in the back as I leave spawn...
    • Up x 4
  8. khai

Usually I just shoot close but missing them they often get the message as long as they are not doing it intentionally to be a bastard. Usually the bastards decide to knife me after awhile anyway. Other option is to move the turret usually I only do this if the guy in my way is in decent cover.
  9. \m/SLAYER\m/

you can't, but you can stand on it, at least, your teammates will be below line of fire
  10. Bruno Puntz Jones

To be fair, I saw HondaDude accidentally a friendly with his Supernova PC today on the stream, when this dude ran up and stood right in front of the gun while he was busy trading shots with a Vanguard on a bridge. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone stand right in front of an MBT in a running gun battle before, but I guess it proves almost nothing is too much for some people to be oblivious to.
  11. Solidpew

There's always the standard V -> 8 for whenever someone's in front of your turret for too long.

"Oops, my fault." :D

(I usually do that and "Where's the doc?!" after TK'ing someone in general so they get rezzed, it tends to result in less allied vengeance overall, but that might be coincidence!)
  12. Ttariel

If your turret is in a good position and not blocking a patch ask them friendly to move, if they refuse feel free to send them some love bullets in the back of the head.

But really, i meet engis that yell at people to move when he build a turret in the middle of the way not helping and hindering movement.
  13. Verviedi

Just keep shooting. It isn't my job to keep you from dying if you're dumb enough to move in front of a huge laser Gatling gun.
    Yesterday on a bridge a MAX stepped in front of my barrel and would not move, so I gunned him down.
    • Up x 2
  14. TheBloodEagle

Difficult to do in the middle of an intense fight. You'd just be wasting time, not firing & being a target while having another person jump in front too.

I'll admit I sometimes get too into the "I NEED TO KILL THEM NOW!!!!" mentality and like a dummy, run in front of turrets. It's my own fault though. Sorry OP.
  15. BlueSeventy

Shoot through them. If you make a few enemies, so be it. What are they going to do, punch you through your computer screen? :p
  16. reydelchicken

Don't get weapon locked for no reason like these people want you to, just shoot 2-3 bullets at them, this will make most players move out of the way.
  17. Stormsinger

In situations where my turret is there first, and someone steps in front of me to get a better shot ,thereby blocking mine... i'll whisper them, informing them of the high energy plasma emitter a few inches from their skull. If they can't be bothered to move, then neither can I. I make every effort to find an area with a free line of sight, and half the time... i'll just abandon my turret, change classes, and leave the area.

In the event where people knife me for accidental TKs caused by them running through an active wall of suppression fire... I record their name in a notepad document, and find them later. Shotguns are typically involved. I've been weapons locked a total of twice in 1400 hours of play, so it doesn't exactly happen often.

Frequently, i'll just scan the names of everyone in whatever platoon I join, and go elsewhere if I recognize any who have a habit of liberal TKing. If they join my outfit's platoon, they get removed. :p

For the one individual TKer that holds a place of honor in my TK'er list, he-who-must-not-be-named, I have something special planned. If I ever find them with an active vehicle, I will pull a galaxy, and contact the 5-6 people with whom I have an arrangement. Through our efforts, the galaxy will be coated in a smiley face of happy, blinking C4 bricks, after which I will drop the aforementioned aircraft upon his head at high velocity.
    • Up x 2
  18. Brenold

the same way you get people to stop shopping at vehicle/weapon terminals. shoot them in the foot and politely tell them on proxy chat to move along.
  19. Crayv

Shoot them, they can't stand if they are dead.
  20. PastalavistaBB

Shoot them. It's the simple and most effective solution. Same with the Lasher and MCG.