is the medic really necessary?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SerialNumber1221, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Taemien

If you want rezes, play a medic. If you want to be rezzed play with static squads. Seriously how hard is that?

If you're Zerging/lonewolfing, you're doing it wrong. Unless you're trying to give certs to the enemy, then you're doing it right.
  2. Planetdoge

Vanu would beg to differ.
  3. IamDH

Admittedly, it would actually make more people use the class core ability. This destroys the purpose of classes and more importantly specialization as a whole. A cloaker holding a rocket launcher is too strong in the same way a heavy assault healing people is too strong. Imagine Overshield + Nanoweave + Regenerating health. This will also make medic kits and restoration kits beyond pointless
  4. Regpuppy

As an outfit and squad focused player, seeing this notion of medics being useless tossed around from time to time surprises me. Granted this may not be everyone's experience, but I see medics regularly. Maybe not as often as heavy or light assault in some battles, but it's often the second or third most prevalent class in infantry battles I've been in. I even play one myself and notice I have to fight for or ignore chances to revive because of heavy medic saturation.

Even ignoring the ability to revive, the combination of "free" self heal, solid weapon choices, and access to C4 makes it a decent solo class as well.

If we REALLY want to go down this train of thought, we could remove Infiltrator and light assault, then give said abilities to all classes. I can guarantee you'd see plenty of other classes using the cloak or the jetpack. But that doesn't really help the level of interdependence you'd expect from having classes. It just makes the remaining classes more independent and gives less reason for coordinating class composition in squads. Which, granted, is fine. If you're into that sort of thing.

But in the end, it's up to the devs how exactly they want to handle it and how much complexity/interdependence they want in the class system. But considering how easy it is to switch classes in this game, I don't see some inder-class dependency as a bad thing.
  5. SuperMedicated

They should make rezzing instant, short ranged and give it a cooldown, while also giving a big boost on XP, and give the medic a deployable that heals, that worked wonders on battlefield bad company 2, which has it's similarities to planetside 2, the insta heal + cooldown + range would make medics think more before they revive, instead of bro-fisting a giant bell in the battle which often gets both killed, and would help stopping the farming in front of spawns both of people who kill and end up dying and the medics reviving at a range farming the bodies, with range i mean crouching on the body. the healing deployable (not to be confused with the grenade, the deployable should be like a C4 with no glue) could be used as a trap by the medic, making enemies think "oh there's a wounded vanu there, let's finish him off" while the medic sits on a good position, giving him/her a tactical advantage, while also not wasting the medic's time, which sometimes is the reason they don't bother helping team mates *this also works for rezzing*. Probably may end up attracting team mates to their little base and make the folks help each other, as they will be all holding the same position/taking off tanks/dropping ammo, blocking damage with turrets.

This is what such small changes could do.
  6. Codex561

-Does not get revived

-Wants the medic class removed
  7. EmmettLBrown

Did I miss something? Is the upgrade now button covering the redeploy button?
  8. Paragon Exile

Ack, bad idea!

Remove the medic class?! Are you crazy?!
  9. WorldOfForms

While I preferred PS1's "everyone can be a medic" system, PS2 is never going to go that way. We are stuck in classes for the long haul. So let's make the most of them.

What we need are more toys for the medic to play with, and the devs have already said this is planned.
  10. SerialNumber1221

this is what i am talking about...as you watch this you will see that the player sticks a med tool into his arm to restore his own health, like a ps2 medkit or restore kit, but the player can also use the same med tool to spray a blue mist on downed players to rez them....depemding on how many skill points are invested in the rool, it restored partial or full health...

in that game MAG, this ability available to all classes kept the flow of the game going very well and promoted teamwork..

this game was based on PS1 but cut down for PS3 so i guess thats why it was implemented that way...it's a Sony game as well..

11. Atis

If all can heal and rez, most ppl would assume that someone else will do the job, so they just get a self-heal and run to shoot thing. Now if you want self-heal and AR, you have your RL, overshield, cloak, jetpack etc. repalced with healgun, therefore more time to heal ppl.
  12. Dead soldier

maybe you could play medic. It is just as rewarding point wise to revive as it is to kill. I do it, and so do the people that I sometimes play with.
  13. Nephi1im

Using PS1 as an example probably won't get you much support in this case. It was a huge issue in PS1 that by BR15 basically everyone was an engineer and medic. It made shooting someone that you didn't have "dead to rights" as they say, virtually useless because 2 seconds of cover meant they were back to full health and armor.

I'm SUPER against giving everyone the ability to rezz people. I honestly can't stand that it is actually available to medics because it warps how small battles go far too frequently. A handful of guys with a couple of medics is nigh impregnable in a building without overwhelming force. People should be forced to use a sundy or galaxy if they want to respawn in an enemy hex.... period.

As it stands now, you can completely circumvent vulnerability to death and need of a destructible spawn mechanism. It's silly. The ways in which one can get back on the battle field are nearly limitless even if there weren't medics rezzing. I suppose keeping it would be more balanced if there was an internal cooldown on the device of say 15-30 seconds.
  14. Tbone

I play medic lvl 6 tool revive granade tar ,saber etc.But that doesn't mean that 80% of the medics are reviveing or healing like you or me.
  15. ALC

You say I'm going off topic, but how so? You want to homogenize the game even further by eliminating an entire class and giving its abilities to everyone. So why not go all the way and give everyone the HA shield, LA jump jets, Engi abilities, and Infil cloak? Why should it stop with just the one class? Why should Engineer be the only class that can repair? If everyone could repair, then we could keep all the MAXs and tanks going, right?

See, this is a problem. This game has people being way too similar as it is without the PS1 style of certification where you could really make yourself unique. If anything, more classes *cough*special assault*cough* need to be added.
  16. Dead soldier

Just play with good players. Either just around them or in the same squad.

I'm on waterson VS, so if I see a group of randoms or a group of ZAPS or 3gis, Outfits that are known for being good, I'd choose ZAPS or 3gis and follow them because I know they will help me.

But actually, I'd pick the randoms because ZAPS or 3gis would just steal my kills and the randoms need more help, but if you want to dominate and have a High KDR, choose the ZAPS or 3gis guys.
  17. NCstandsforNukaCola

Medic always has been in every warfare.

War without medic?
    then that war must be done by robots not human.
  18. SerialNumber1221

the guy who i played wit yesterday played as medic, just in one battle he went 82/8 so kd over 10...he was a solid medic wo constantly picked people up and was abe to kill the enemy too... but thats not the point...

the point was allowing every player the ability to heal himself and revive other players...worked in MAG, which i guess got the design from PS1 so i guess would work with PS2 as well
  19. SerialNumber1221

lol because its not about homegenizing the game, its about giving heal/rez ability to every class...no other ability is to be "homegenized" as you put it....
  20. Dead soldier

it would be bad. 100 players being able to revive 100 players. No one would die if the healing stacked.