Heavy assaults to be nerfed next patch

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Nyscha, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BlueSeventy

Personally never had problems with the "i-win" shield as a medic. Positioning and headshots still downs a good heavy. It's when you have 2 equally skilled players go face to face medic v heavy that the heavy shines. Which makes sense... Because the heavy is a frontline soldier and the medic is a support player. Medics are awfully OP, not heavies. Given I have mostly heavy playtime, I started this game maining medic. It's much more OP to carry 4 grenades that can instantly res an indefinite amount of people in a given area at 1/2 health than it is to win a 1v1 and get dunked on by the next guy. I think support players just aren't playing smart and are complaining.
    • Up x 3
  2. BlueSeventy

If this change goes through competitive teams will be sporting medic balls and MANA turret spam, because heavies are already relatively vanilla as is. Their AV capabilities are quite ****** and their guns typically have higher TTK compared to engis/medics.

News flash people: you can't be bad and still win every 1v1 no matter what.
    • Up x 2
  3. Corvus Corax

so much truth in two posts...I thought my brain was going to asplode. get the devs in here now.
  4. Landaren

This guy is the exact reason games have become a total mess
  5. ViperMkII

Nice post there shtslinger. You seem like one of those support class players that cries because his KD is crap. QQ
  6. Peasnriz

I don't think the overshield needs a delay, maybe a nerf to its hit points though, a case of balance rather than mechanic change. People whine about the overshield because they do not pick the right tool for the job I do not think a light assault should expect to win a 1 vs 1 against a HA, it gets to flank, however they often will win because of shotguns, high rate of fire carbines or they chose a good position to start the engagement.

From SOE Luke 'The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button and more towards something that requires positioning and proper timing'
    The trouble with this being that both Light assault and infiltrator both have abilities that mean they get to choose the engagement and disengage also. How is the medics ability any different apart from being far less potent.

The engineer is worst off in my opinion in the CQC having nothing that gives them any sort of advantage, I think they should get a shield regen ability and/or tool ability to regen shield or a personal shield. (Like 'oh I am fighting an engineer and he has a bag of tricks up his sleeve' so its a high skill class but rewarding.)

I personally have no problem with HA being the easiest class to play well because I think it is good for new players to have something effective right out the box. So again I think its more an issue of balance rather than game mechanic.
    • Up x 3
  7. BlueSeventy

While I feel enlightened by reading your post, I have a slight disagreement with the engineer part. Engineers have a near indestructible AI turret. While they can't be as tricky up front, a turret placed in the right spot will hold against many, many people. That and infinite ammo (ammo is usually the limiting factor on live now :p).

I wasn't referring to the medic ability as OP. Just the fact that combat resses have a huge impact, take too short of a time to perform, and res nades... you can conclude for yourself. The changes to ressing maxes were really well done though.
    • Up x 1
  8. LordDethir

yes, but when using a smg at 5 meters, uncloak, start shooting a heavy, He just whips around plays the "I has 2000 health" shield. Thats what heavies are supposed to do, but with an smg , like the cyclone, he should be dead. Instead he just kills me with his T9-carv/Pulsar LSW.
  9. LordDethir

The point of the shield is not to help them when they are outflanked, Its to give them some more survivability when they're kicking doors down. Also about 1) Bad heavy player.
  10. Scr1nRusher

^ you understand that that a HA cannot have 2000 HP?

500 HP + 500 shields = 1000 HP total + 650 shields(From NMG or ADS) = 1650 HP total or 1150 shields & 500 HP.

also guys can you believe they allowed the "I-win" or "Instant win" wording onto the patch notes?
  11. Casterbridge

Something is wrong then. The cyclone (any SMG really) will obliterate a heavy within 5m from behind. The TTK with an SMG at that range is so fast that the HA would literally be dead before he knew what was going on.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a HA to survive on occasion but there are only a few reasons it would happen.

The infiltrator just plain old misses the opening salvo for whatever reason, bad shot, HA turns the corner just as the infiltrator opens fire etc.

Pure bad luck, HA spins around for some reason and sees the infiltrator before they open fire, in this case it's about a 50/50 chance, BUT if the HA is using an LMG (as opposed to say a shotgun or other CQC weapon), the SMG should give the infiltrator enough of an advantage to get the kill

Infiltrator decloaks but gets killed by someone else before they can open fire, I know I've saved quite a few people like this, kind of tracking the cloaked infiltrator and can take the shot as soon as he uncloaks.

The HA pops the shield on for some reason before the infiltrator opens fire, but honestly with an SMG at that close of range and pointed at the head, even the shield wouldn't save the HA.

Final reason is a big one lately, pure hit detection nonsense, it's been really bad last day or so, and even before that it would occasionally fire up randomly, doesn't matter how good a shot you are when it happens cause you won't kill anyone.
  12. LordDethir

with any weapon you shouldn't have to aim at the head to kill a heavy (max is debatable + BASR). But because of the 1900 health you get with a heavy shield you are basically a max, Excluding max resistances. It takes a full Magazine in order to kill a heavy who turned on his shield, while aiming at the head. Full Ex. Mag when you are hitting body shots. Plus Because of our wonderful Decloaking sound (300 meter radius and counting) The heavy can just play the shield when he hears that, and get a free kill.
  13. BlueSeventy

1650 hp cap. You either are missing or hitting body shots on a Nanoweave heavy. The cyclone outdps' every gun in the game by a fair amount, even more so if scoring headshots. look this up at stats.dasanfall.com
  14. jettblakk

the heavy assault should out perform all other infantry classes in one on one, barrel to barrel combat. that is their job. by giving the over shield a delay they have removed the ability of a heavy to be a reactive player. now you have to have some sort of psychic precognition of when someone is going to shoot you and turn on your shields before it happens.
  15. GrymMSK

I like the idea of the ramp up time, but only with a little increase in shield effectiveness. If a heavy can pop his shield, he should have a VERY good chance of killing you. If not, he should be dead in a flanking situation. This is how a see 1v1 fights: if you see each other at the same time, have relatively similar weapons, and equal skill, you should end up killing each other. Period. Flanking belongs to LA and infils, strategic frontal assaults are for heavies and maxes. Medics and engies should have equal footing in equal fights, but no way to be more effective at killing like the heavy and LA can be (since they are support classes).
  16. Peasnriz

I do agree about the turret and the medics ability to do reses having a significantly higher impact at times than a heavy assault ever could, also the devastating effect those turrets can have which a lot of people do not use as a shield. The reason why I mention the mechanic is they often do not have a role in an assault, (I know repair maxes/tanks, resupply ammo) just when I pull one I find myself wondering what should I be doing I this engagement, a turret is not viable, I have already placed an ammo pack, what now? Those heavies over there are assaulting, the medic is hanging around behind them patching them up, the infiltrator and light assault are flanking, what should I be doing? Thats why I suggest the shield regen tool or maybe a swap out for the utility slot allow for a grenade bandolier and access to more types of grenades.

HMM maybe I went a little off topic :rolleyes:

I do not like this proposed clunky mechanic of a ramp up time, especially when the TTK is so low anyway, and fear it would open up a pandoras box of balance issues when there are so many assault rifles, carbines and smgs with a better ttk than lmgs at least at short range meaning that heavy assaults would actually be at a disadvantage CQC, unless they can predict when each and every engagement it will face but given that the design goals for base layout are to discourage camping meaning there are so many sight lines to get flanked from it would be impossible for any heavy assault to do that.
  17. Robertooooo

This will probably mess up the whole class. Instead of adding a delay to shields that are supposed to give that extra survivability on demand they could maybe make the shields directional? It should protects the front and sides but not the back, thus allowing smg infiltrators to continue with their cheesing without making NMG and adrenaline shield worthless.
  18. Hiding in VR

Yes, yes, it is.

Plus this "kicking down doors" stuff is BS. Anyone who charges in full frontal in Planetside 2 gets shredded, even MAXes. That's before we even mention the movement penalty.
    • Up x 1
  19. CaptainGallows

Well... Its true that anyone going in full frontal will be shredded. But at the same time a heavy should be able to outplay anyone who gets the drop on them with .similar aim. A shield as it is right now soaks up too much damage. In the 500 hours I've played (mainly infiltrator) I have never said "F*cking light assault or f*cking medic" When they outplay me. Hell, I even congratulate engineers on nice kills. But I can't count the amount of times I say '* cussword* + Heavy" in an hour on my fingers.

I have met heavy assaults who outplayed me, I can live with that. But what I can't live with is getting the perfect drop, using EMP nades... And still losing to a heavy using an LMG at any range. Tbh I think SOE might need to rethink its class based system because theyre taking a **** on all other classes than a HA. Well organised team of all classes would lose to a well organised team of purely heavies. That says something.

To continue back on your original point... I feel current shields should be nerfed down to the floor and bring in some shields that force the heavy into this breaking down doors role without having a insta-win button. Shields that provide complete immunity to damage for a couple of seconds at the cost of taking half a second or so to activate + not being able to deactivate halfway through.

One supersoldier in a game like planetside is a bad idea. Its like forcing the majority of players into the best viable FPS role. And at the end of the day this remains an FPS game. No one wants to sit around and repair maxes all day or revive other people without doing other stuff. And I know I left some open spots in my argumentation which some of you will love to pick at but you can't ignore the fact that for killing anything you're better off as a heavy assault 99% of the time. And all of you started to play this game to have fun shooting people. I don't want to turn this into a cod game but neither do I want this to be a game where the heavy rules all.

Why cant we have all classes on semi-equal infantry ground with each their own niche on the field?
  20. MuNrOe

Heavy's job is to take damage and deal damage.
    Infill job provide Intel on enemy movement and surprise attacks
    Engineer Lay down suppressive fire supply ammo
    Medic Heal nearby units and take damage revive units.
    LA Provide over watch and flanking attacks.

This is a TEAM BASED MMO FPS. In a team you have individuals whose purpose is to support the team.

Why cant we have semi equal infantry ground. Because the heavys sole purpose in the field is to fight. Thats it. It doesnt support the infantry or the group other than being the first point of contact in any fire fight. The person first into a room and the first to get shot in the head. His role is to protect the other classes with his shield. Especially in a group situation. You take away that ability to take a few extra shots.
    (Lets be honest here in most fights that's 3 bullets) you effectively **** this class and its ability on the battlefield to do its job.

You as an infil or medic or LA should not be going 1v1 with a heavy and expecting to win. You have tools at your disposal that give you the upper hand in these fire fights. Radar with the infil. Turret with the engineer. If you don't play your class correctly and die don't come to the forums and whine how you couldn't beat a certain class.

That like saying I got beaten in a computer game. Its because of "game " has nothing to do with what I did wrong.

A well organized team will smash a full team of heavy's. We do it all the time perfect team composition will utterly smash any full team of heavy's. If this were the case you wouldn't even see the support classes being used within any outfit operations. Some outfits even role full medics squads based solely on their ability to stay alive in fights. As the healing ability gives the medics more health than the heavy's shield could ever come close to doing. The shield while it does increase the health of the soldier allows him to do his job. You take that away or **** it you will see the number of max's increase in the battlefield and the role of heavy completely removed from the game. Just so you can feel better about being number 1 sniper in all COD.

In short play smart and play your class. Stop trying to make the game match your play style instead make your play style work within the game.
    • Up x 3