Steam Overlay causes low fps and creates massive log file (For me 15+GB)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MrPlanetbreaker, Apr 2, 2014.

1. MrPlanetbreaker

When starting the game with steam in the new 64Bit mode i do not have a Steam Overlay, i thought ok it might not work yet with 64Bit. Then later i saw that my SSD was almost full und went on the search to find the big files. To my surprise it was a logfile for the Steam Overlay that was causing my SSD to almost explode.

The file is called GameOverlayRenderer.log located in the main fodler of Steam and was about 15GB big. I deleted it and started Planetside only to see that a new logfile is being created and it just kept getting bigger. I stopped the game after a few minutes and it had the size of 150MB already.

I also have the low FPS problems people are reporting.

When i started the game without the SteamOverlay (Just starting the launcher form the PlanetSide directory) i stopped having the FPS problems so i actually think that there seems to be a link, because if I look into the logfile (Had to take a look into the 150MB one the 15Gb one was a little to big for my Editor) it always repeats this one line:

Code:
    Wed Apr 02 20:36:18 2014 UTC - DeleteD3D9Renderer called for: 0000000012A19E20
    FOR FURTHER DETAILS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE EXPERIENCING LOW FPS IS USING STEAM AND ALSO HAS A DAMN BIG LOGFILE IN HIS/HER STEAM FOLDER

My System Specs:
    i7-860 @3,8GHZ
    HD7870 GHZ Edition running at 1100Mhz
    8GB Ram

I just want to see if anyone has the same problem and if not using Steam fixes it for anyone else!
  2. Richardsonnn

Don't mean to alarm you but my GameOverlayRenderer.log is only 561 KB. Your steam install might be funky.
  3. daddy86

my logfile is 150kb lol i just checked for you.

But i didnt download planetside 2 through steam i just imported the .exe later so i have overlay.
  4. MrPlanetbreaker

Just wanted to share my findings :p It is crazy though since i have the same symptoms as all the other people have (Low Fps and GPU bound instead of CPU like most of the time before the patch)
  5. TR_terror

I've just started getting this problem as well. My FPS tanked from 60 down to 20. When I tried to find out why I notice my SSD is completely full. Turns out to be the Game Overlay log fill taking up all the space. Now I can't launch PS2 without the GameOverlayRenderer.log filling up my SSD.
  6. TeknoBug

lol 15GB logfile? what the frigging F?

I disable steam overlay in most games, it doesn't play nice with some games.

Also, I was playing PS2 on my HTPC through Steam in-home stream streaming from my main PC (check it out if you haven't seen it yet) and it works fine.
    • Up x 1
  7. VBthesmall

I had this problem and it was driving me crazy!
    thaks for solving the problem!
  8. harakiwi

Exactly the same problem here had some weird FPS issues using PS2 (via Steam) and Dxtory. After the guys/ an admin over in the forums told me to update to the latest Dxtory instead the stable one i could run the game again.

Now yesterday my game slowed down to ~20fps and stopped working (had to kill steam and PS2.exe). My system drive was full, wouldn't care that much BUT it's my only SSD. Don't **** with my limited writes on that thing...
    So i found the biggest file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\gameoverlayrenderer.log) and deleted it.

After this crash, every time i start PS2 with Dxtory running in the background it's creating this massive file by just sitting in the login screen. (posted a few lines of the file here: http://pastebin.com/uEAqzLxx)
    I disabled the Steam overlay in all of my games a long time ago and it's still off (checked it)

i tried removing the rights to the log file so nobody can write in it. This "works" but again i only get around 5 fps with this setup.
    The setup: disabled log file, PS2 started via Steam, disabled overlay, Dxtory running in the background.

This is the only game i get this weird behavior...

How did you fix it?
  9. harakiwi

There's no edit option, so this is fixed by using the latest latest DxTory 2.0.128 (in my case it's solved)
  10. Aaren

I use the overlay so I can quickly and painlessly take screenshots of crappy hit detection and my ping.

I am however using the 32bit client.

I have noticed no performance gain or loss when playing with and without the overlay enabled.