Need Engineer Advice

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Skallo, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Skallo

I've really taken quite a liking to the engineer but I can't quite figure out what carbines (VS) and what certifcations to go for. I've been sticking with the Serpent and the Pulsar C along with using ASC/Nanoweave in my suit slot. I'm not quite sure if that's a decent loadout or not. So, to all of you engineers out there, I need your help! Thanks in advance.
  2. LownWolfe

Not a lot of experience playing VS but i do end up on the receiving end of pulsar and serpents a lot. As for slot, I'd recommend trying out flak since if you repair maxes like you should, you will be near a lot of explosions.
    • Up x 2
  3. ARTIFICIALDIFFICULTY

I can't help you with VS carbines, but I always roll flak armor on my engineer, as I am exploding constantly.
    Fixing vehicles/turrets? Exploding. Claymore/tank mine mishaps? Exploding. Fixing a max suit? You better believe you'll be exploding.

I find myself thanking flak armor for saving my life a whole lot.
    • Up x 2
  4. Skallo

What about for smaller fights where explosions aren't much of a threat? I suppose ASC would be a pretty good option, yeah?
    • Up x 1
  5. cruczi

ASC benefits best players who like to flank and operate a bit further out from support of teammates - the faster regen gives you more windows of opportunity and makes you more mobile. Nanoweave if you're going to be fighting versus infantry a lot, it's a direct buff to your survivability in infantry vs infantry fighting.

Often flak is a good pick when you don't know what you're facing, and is far from useless in infantry fights, what with all the grenades and rockets flying about and mine traps.

First max out your repair tool though.
  6. Almaru

Been quite a while (8 months) since I played on my VS, but I do seem to remember that my fav weapon was the Pulsar C as an engineer, cause it was very reliable at most ranges.
    Never used the Serpent, but I have been on the recieving end of it at least 4 times as much as I have to the Pulsar C.

As for the rest of the loadout, go for Flak armor, I say this considering the amount of HA's that use their rocket launcher as a primary to splash damage you to death indoors.
    Outdoors you're obviously gonna get shot by lib's with daltons, ESF's rocket podding you, tank's bombarding you etc..
    Not to mention that since you'll be repairing MAX's quite often (at least I assume you will), you will most likely get hit very often by explosive's.

So flak armor is pretty much the best choice for that.

As for what Certifications you should go for after Flak and upgrading your weapon, its up to you.
    (edit) - Remember to upgrade your repair tool quite fast!
    It helps you, a lot.

If you want to be a menace to vehicles, always planting bombs (tank mines) in popular areas to drive through or park at, go for that.
    Tank mines are also great for laying traps if a MAX is about to round the corner.
    Drop two of them at the location he's gonna be passing, as soon as he gets within 1 meter of them, blow them up, he dies.
    I do not think any amount of flak armor can save a MAX from two tank mines if I remember correctly.

Otherwise you can take your pick between C4 and AI mines, up to you!
    I personaly prefer Tank mine's cause.. uh.. look im Lazy and enjoy predicting where sunderers will park and place the mine's there, then go do something else :p
    Always fun to see you killed 6+ ppl cause a sundy wanted to deploy in a popular spot to park at :D

Also, upgrade you Ammo drop ability to last at least 2 mins.
    It gets very annoying having to constantly pull out the ammo pack in the midst of a fight where you should have your repair tool out or your gun.

Also, just in CASE you dont know about this, but if you pull out your turret, while holding it pressing B turns it into an Ammo pack until you push B again.
    Just in case.. cause some people still dont know about that.

Anyhow, I've written way too much, now take your pick and have fun!
    • Up x 1
  7. BigCrow

Tank mines imo are the best explosive choice you can make on engineer.
  8. repairtool6

No, its not about that. Its not about bigfight or smallfight.
    ASC dont synergies with this stuff, but with medkits.

Imo ASC is only (repeat - only) good if you run with lots of medkits. You take damage, pop medkit to heal and are faster back in fight. But if you dont have a medkit to heal up, then its no real use to have the shield up faster either. You just die in the next shootout anyway.

I dont think engie should run with medkit that often (that is more for HA or maybe infiltrator) but rather different explosives.

Like the other ppl say, i think you should use FLAK when you play engiee
  9. SirIBON

Me plays Engy on Miller.
    For a BR74 it is quiet surprising question.

Me uses the Pulsar C for long Range, It is a hard hiting Weapon with a low firerate. But it is very accurate.
    I use the Scope even on near enemies. So i take nearly on all Weapons a Handgrip.
    The Pulsar C can also take the advance Handgrip.
    I use the NV Scope, or the 4x OG-4 on it.

I do not use the Serpent, instead i use the VX6-7, it moves while shooting to the good side :)
    As i use the Scope in low scales, so i use also the Handgrip, the NV Scope and the Softpoint Ammunition. Mostly it is equipt with a supressor, but this depends on belief :)
    If you play more the hipfirestyl, then an advanced Laser sight is maybe the better way.

After the Nanoweave Armour Update is run only with full certed Flakarmour on my Engy.
    Mostly i get damage by Explosives form different sources.
    With it i do not have to look for mines too :)
    Before the Patch i run Nanoweave Armour only inside of Biolabs, that is/was very untypical, but my way to play.

Have a look, what hurts you most, then take the right armour to protect you self.
  10. RealityWarrior

I have 6000+ kills with the Solstice SF... (I miss the UBGL) Do not use this one, it is the worst option you have. THe default is better.

I have 700+ with the VX6-7 and 100+ with the Pulsar C.I think they are both fine. The VX seems better short range and the Pulsar a bit more situated to slightly further out.
  11. Skallo

Well, I may be BR 74 but I never quite paid much attention to what is best regarding the suit slot for the engineer even though it's apparently one of my most played classes. :confused:
  12. Bruno Puntz Jones

If you play mainly support, your priorities should be (1) repair tool; (2) ammo pack; (3) explosives; and (4) flak armor. Max all of these out if you're going to be playing engineer as your main or only class for a while. If you tend to hop around and swap classes, maybe take them only up to the 150 or 200 cert levels, and leave the higher cost levels for later.

Cert up medkits too if you want, they're useable on all classes as a bonus. Put some into getting a few unlocks for the weapon like 1x or 2x reflex, compensator, and front grip. If you use grenades, the sticky ones are nice and very cheap. The Pulsar C is a good choice, as others have said, but it's weaker at close range. Get an SMG or shotgun if you want for indoors and pushing points.

Ignore the turrets; they're useful, but not a great use of certs early on.
  13. Erendil

Owning the Serpent and Pulsar C gives you a nice variety of weapons to choose from. Throw in the default Solstice and you have most combat ranges covered.

The Serpent is the fastest killing carbine for VS and is great for CQC, and the Pulsar C is the 2nd most accurate automatic weapon in the VS arsenal (only the Corvus AR is more accurate) which gives you good long range ability, so you already have a good carbine at your disposal for most situations. The only other carbine I might suggest you try is the Solstice-SF if you like tossing grenades around.

That said, I'd suggest you also take a look at the the Eidolon Battle Rifle, which is also available to Engies. It's semi-auto only, but with its recent buffs and the Nanoweave nerf from December it's become quite deadly. It would further extend your range beyond what the Pulsar C is capable of, and give you long range ability that can only be contested by an infil with a sniper rifle. With no bullet drop it's a headshot machine, and 3 headshots kills any infantry at any range (2 headshots if they're infil).

As for armour, I almost always wear Nano as Engie. I rarely die from explosives, and can usually survive encounters with vehicles by not being in their LoS. Rocks, trees and building protect you much better than Flak will. And they're free. :p

I also choose Nano over ASC since I want my protection up front. ASC won't benefit you at all if you're dead. :p And if you don't take enough damage for your shields to drop, over time ASC won't benefit you much more than Nano since Nano leaves you with more shields to begin with. The only downside is headshots, since you'll get nothing from Nano but ASC will still recharge your shields faster. IME though Nano still serves me better overall.
  14. Killerdude8

VS Carbines are not something I understand, They feel the same to me, But I hear a lot of good things about the Serpent, so maybe you should stick to that?

However, For your defence slot, Flak, Flak, Flak and Flak, If you're gonna boldly go where no Engie has gone before, You're gonna need to protect yourself against Explosions, which if you're doing your job, Will be your most common threat.

I find Nanoweave to rarely be worth it, I'd rather take half damage from all Splash explosions, than take an extra bullet, then again, Different strokes for different folks.
  15. DeadlyPeanutt

i play vs engie main...

pulsar c (must be fully certed) for mid/close as long as you ads
    serpent for hipfire and cqc (grip and spa)... i love this weapon for hipfiring those pesky cloakers who appear two feet from you
    cert repair tool fully first...
    i run full flak because i play near maxes as much as possible and they take a lot of he rounds.
  16. RealityWarrior

I have alts on TR and NC that I am slowly leveling up. They are both BR 15 as opposed to my VS BR 80. I play Engi 80% of the time I am in game.

As for weapon... those are different for different people. What is best for me wont be best for you.

My strategy has been to by the cheapest option of the following.

Flak Armor
    2x Scope for my rifle if possible
    Repair tool
    Ammo box
    Prox Mines (They fit my play style insert C4 or Tank mines if needed for your style)
    Sticky Grenade

As I level them up I keep choosing the cheapest option.of what is left.