[Suggestion] The case for merging Briggs/Connery

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SerialNumber1221, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SerialNumber1221

thank you.

clearly your stats and BR are unaffected by the higher ping. agree with all you've said.
    • Up x 2
  2. RaZz0R

funny how a lot of FPS gamers worry so much about ping time - in the day time here in Aus the net gets busy between here and the USA - so my ping goes up to about 220ms in the day at times - but even then it runs fine and I can kill just fine as well.

Got BR70 today on my main on Connery - would have been 100 if I didn't waste my time getting to BR 43 on Briggs lol
    • Up x 2
  3. SerialNumber1221

yep spot on. daytime, yeah the ping goes up a bit to Connery cos of business use across the deep ocean links..night time, in the Briggs prime time, it drops by up to 50ms for me to Connery...

and i'm in the same boat - Briggs slot is a lvl 54, TR on Connery is a lvl 56, NC on Connery is a lvl 39...if i had spread my Briggs hours across two Connery slots, they would both be higher BR...

but i like to sample all the factions so even if the servers merge i'll play all three sides, i have good friends on both servers across all three factions...coincidentally, if i play on Briggs, the guy i play with most, Blackdove, is from Florida...hehe..he plays Briggs cos the US servers are underpop in the middle of the night when he has the time to play, but nowdays he plays a bunch of other games cos Briggs is pretty dead execpt for a hour or two a day( he pops into Briggs every now andd then still but no where as much time spent as before)
    • Up x 1
  4. AxisO7

Heh, in a way a merger with Connery would be an interesting opportunity for JUGA. We'd go in and instantly be by far the #1 ranked TR outfit on the server (and #2 TR outfit in the American servers with 48+ people, behind only NUC), and not all that far behind Future Crew and Recursion. Obviously I and most of the current members wouldn't be playing at the same time as those guys, but if we could find the right people to handle running the Connery prime time ops we would be in a somewhat unique position in terms of recruitment and growth.

Only thing is, I know significant numbers of our current players would simply walk away, including at least two of my co-leaders. They've played on the american servers during beta, and they've played the odd time on Connery when Briggs was down. And over time, they simply end up getting frustrated with the lag. Our solo libbers also struggle, as the ping makes changing seats in vehicles take longer. Even pntballa from NUC found the same back when he used to play with us occasionally, and he stopped trying to solo-lib when on Briggs. Just little things like that add up.

Except significant amounts of people from Briggs would walk away entirely. This discussion came up on the Briggs sub-reddit a month ago, and I'd say half the people who responded said they'd quit.
    • Up x 1
  5. PWGuy93

If this means bringing more NC to Connery, please no. The TR could use a big boost in numbers, the VS a fractional boost but definitely no more NC they hold population advantages most of the time as is.
  6. hellomumbo369

yeah sorry mate. was pissed after playing world of tanks XD. I do understand your idea and it will have a place soon but for now I don't feel like playing a game that pushes reaction times like planetside 2 on american serves when at best I get an average of 70-80ms to a server based in sydney. maybe in a year it'll happen but not for now
  7. BobSanders123

I'll happily welcome any Australian TRs. Well.... All australians in general. For a minute. Then i'll shoot them in the face.
  8. SerialNumber1221

and we would shoot you right back hehe

actually quite a few already play on Connery, especially at night and some in our daytime, like me
    • Up x 1
  9. SerialNumber1221

yeah it is true that NC can have a lot of population on Connery but my general observation over time is that unlike the VS, the NC seem to be spread ver he continents, while VS seems to all gather on one continent and just uber zerg
  10. SerialNumber1221

Yeah i suspect that JUGA would do VERY WELL on Connery over time. Look at i like this, say you lose a few guys, even then, the way you guys run the show, you are going to attract more Conney TR if you were there. I for one, while I am no elite player, would be applying as JUGA has the objective based mentality that showcases the teamwork aspect of the game. There are some TR outfits on Connery but they don't run the ops like you guys do and your methodology will lift TR from the cesspool its in on Connery. There is not outfit I have come across in this game, which uses bait and catch so well, as JUGA. How many times on Briggs, I will chase one of your guys thinking I will shortly shoot him in the back only to be led into a room full of JUGA who then drop me in an instant hehe. No such TR like that on Connery hehe.

Also, beta server was east coast i think. And he hit detection mechanics hve tightened up a bit, so like some of the other Aussies have said, it's pretty well the same experience as Briggs. But i understand, like what I said, if your guys are from western australia or coutry towns their experience may degrade.

Lastly, I guess the significant amount of Briggs walking away wll affect SOE only if they are subscribers who do not return and given the overall player numbers I can only wonder how much this will affect the SOE bottom line - only SOE knows that, but my suspicion is that AU is the least profitable anyway.
    • Up x 1
  11. jihon83

Briggs having a low population makes sense. Insofar as it seems like the server that's specifically meant for Australia. Though I've always been curious why it doesn't attract more players from Asia. From what I've seen, and I think the information about Connery supports this, it looks like most players from Japan and Korea are playing on Connery, rather than on Briggs. It makes me wonder if, somehow, the connection between Australia and its nearest continental neighbor is even worse than the connection over the Pacific.
    • Up x 1
  12. SerialNumber1221

yeah most Japanese and Koreans are on Connery for sure. The connections from those countries to the US west coast are much better than to Australia.

If you reverse the proposition and Briggs was in Japan or Korea, most people in Australia would play on Connery for the same reason, which is Australia has better links to the US west coast than to Japan or Korea.

Because of global business, international connections from any APAC country are generally better to the US than to ther countries within APAC.
    • Up x 1
  13. jihon83

That sucks. I imagine a western Pacific server, or set of servers, could be just as vibrant as the EU servers if they were better connected; especially if the game ever penetrated the Chinese market. Though it does go a long way towards explaining why Connery is so consistently well-populated.
    • Up x 1
  14. SerialNumber1221

there is a chinese ps2 but they have their own servers. although some chinese play via vpn on servers in other countries as well.

if SOE put a server in Japan, Connery would lose a LOT of players.

by the way, here is the chinese advert...very cool

• Up x 1
  15. NovaAustralis

• Up x 1
  16. SerialNumber1221

• Up x 1
  17. NovaAustralis

Well it's unlikely because SOE hasn't merged servers before...

*cough*
    Genudine(US-W) to Helios(US-W)
    Helios(US-W) to Connery(US-W)
    SolTech(US-E) to Mattherson(US-E)
    Jaeger(US-E) to Waterson(US-E)
    Lithcorp(EU) to Cobalt(EU)
    Mallory(EU) to Ceres(EU)
    *cough*

Oh... :(

NB: this was identified as an issue back in September 2013...
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/briggs-server-merge.150166/
    • Up x 1
  18. SerialNumber1221

haha in that thread a Japanese player says he got better ping to Mattherson than Briggs hehe

then there is someone who said they kept playing on Cobalt after moving back to Australia from Europe and they had no issues and their stats improved!

i think if people actually gave Connery a go, they would see that for the majority of payers from Briggs, who will be east coast Aussies, it won't make the slightest difference...
    • Up x 1
  19. SerialNumber1221

So if this has been raised in September 2013 and it's now April 2014 - that is over 6 months - and the numbers on both servers are lower, then SOE really needs to take a look.

Someone tweet this thread to Higby! I'm not a tweetybird so I can't do it :confused:
    • Up x 1
  20. SerialNumber1221

9pm Briggs AEDT, around 500 total
    [IMG]

9pm AEDT Connery, 500 total

[IMG]

Merge the servers and we have a decent population and proper large battles on multiple continents.
    • Up x 2