Hornets and damage...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by skifton, Mar 27, 2014.

1. skifton

Alright. I've noticed something odd about hornets. (in the VR, admittedly)

- Hornets kill an MBT with 4 rear armor hits. Takes exactly 4 to kill any MBT.

- Hornets kill a lightning with 5 rear armor hits. 4 will put it on fire, 5 will finish it off.

I'd appreciate an explanation as to why the lightning, which is weaker, with a much smaller rear hitbox, takes MORE hornets to kill than an MBT. I'm sure balance and whatnot comes into play...but lightnings take either the same or less breaker rockets to kill...so why would they be more resistant to hornets?

SOE wins again.
  2. minhalexus

Its an illusion.

What looks like a lightning is not actually a lightning.
    What looks like a MBT is not actually a MBT.
  3. teks

Lightnings have higher resistances then tanks do in general to make up for their reduced health. in this case it may be that someone did the math wrong.
    • Up x 1
  4. Accuser

The game has so many different resistance values that damage numbers are meaningless and TONS of weapons do more or less damage than they should.

Another great example is the Air Hammer vs Sunderers. It absolutely wrecks them when compared to any other ESF nose gun, since they use a different resistance value.
  5. NoctD

SOE math! :eek:

Not to mention, the VR is not really a representation of reality either.
    • Up x 1
  6. peebee

VR is really only good for ramming aircraft into each other in a sky breakdance party.
  7. skifton

Yeah but the VR is a pretty good place for damage values. I'll try to get some live fire stats too on it....but still.

I know that lightnings have less health and they've had resistances changed and whatnot. That doesn't change the fact that it should be significantly easier to kill a lightning than an MBT. Especially when it's more mobile and has a smaller rear hitbox. I'm just sayin.
    • Up x 1
  8. PlayerOneSVK

Hornet are really weak that they are not sale :D no one using it like Duster
  9. Cromell

I've seen pilots using hornets efficiently numrous times. They are sort of challenging to use... it may be an "av mana turret with wings", but having it on an aircraft probably puts some people off, especially with a2g rocket pods being so easy and versatile.

Duster however... I've seen maybe two libs with it. None killed me (and they tried). I know it's meant to be this sort of "carpet bomber", but I imagine that Lib gunners prefer precise weapons rather than that.
  10. skifton

Lib gunners are spoiled from the accuracy of the Dalton.

Honestly if they reduced infantry damage from the dalton more (I knowwww, hear me out) they could increase the accuracy of the Duster JUST a little and people would likely start using it.
  11. Frosty The Pyro

Lightnings have improved resistance vs rocket pods, because otherwise skyguard would die the instant any esf looked at them funny. I guess hornets fall into the same category as rocket pods. lightnings also have a slightly higher rear armor to start with (though not enouph higher to overcome MBTs higher base health)

the effective healths are
    5,714 Vanguard/Magrider/Prowler rear
    4,412 Lightning rear

hornets do 1800 per missile, so 4 hornets is 7200 and 5 would be 9000

that means lightnigns have between a 39 and 51% resitance to the typs of damage hornets are.
    • Up x 1
  12. Cromell

I would still prefer Zepher for AI work. Duster needs some sort of buff/rework because everything is awesome about it, except for its performance, lol :p
    • Up x 1
  13. skifton

Still though. It's hard enough to land 4 hornets on a lightning.

Even so, lightnings should die easier than MBTs to everything. They're harder to hit and they have higher mobility.