I guess no one sees the irony...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GoyoElGringo, Mar 27, 2014.

1. GoyoElGringo

People complain about the upgrade messages being intrusive and annoying to the community, and then they go to the forum and makes threads, posts, and signatures saying "UPGRADE NOW!". It reminds me of the time people were upset that the Garry's incident devs flagged totalbiscuits negative WTF IS video, so they started a petition to have the game removed from Steam. They wanted to fight censorship with censorship. You people are doing the same thing the devs are doing, thus invalidating your own logic. You're only proving that you don't even believe in your own cause.
  2. ShiftedMotive

It's not irony, it's sarcasm.

"Thank you for your informative and intelligent post!"
    UPGRADE NOW!
    • Up x 13
  3. doombro

WHY HAVEN'T YOU UPGRADED YET?! UPGRADE NOW!
    • Up x 14
  4. PlatoonLeaderG

We are just making fun of the bad marketing attempt and seriously its annoying.Not only that so many crashes.
    • Up x 1
  5. GoyoElGringo

So the people posting are not in protest of the "upgrade now" in-game spam? That's not what I'm seeing.
  6. HadesR

But these threads don't pop up on your screen while you are viewing another web site :p
    • Up x 2
  7. NinjaKirby

Not sure I feel like logging in at all today, having read the issues on this 'ere Forumside. Hitching was bad enough, but constant disconnects/CTD's/massive adverts? Wtf is going on with PS2.
  8. Wecomeinpeace

A generalization is well, a generalization.

Read the actual thread and you will find valid arguments as to why this is stupid and counter-productive, aside from the cynical "ugrade now" reactions...which have their merit too.
  9. starlinvf

Irony is a fairly common trait for memes. We recognize the absurdity, and raise awareness by spreading it in a way that the context could never be taken seriously. Though there is a problem of memes being taken at face value, so the impact can be lost without knowledge of its origins.

BEDLAM-DL3
  10. Accuser

"Censorship"
    [IMG]

Censorship is using the police power of the State to prevent a person or group from expressing their views. By falsely accusing TotalBiscuit of violating their copyright, the Garry's Incident a**holes were trying to stop people from seeing how terrible their game is through legal action.

When customers of a business (such as Steam) believe that the business is selling a sh*tty product that has no business being there, they can and should say so. And if the business continues to sell that sh*tty product, they should be called out as the crap-slinging hucksters that they are. At no point does this involve the police power of the State, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with censorship.
    • Up x 3
  11. GoyoElGringo

Censor means to remove or hide something from people, sometimes by using some kind of authority. Government powers are not even needed to censor. And the Garry's incident petition was not because it was a terrible game, it was used as a retaliation for the Garry's incident incident.

It's funny that you went as far as to find a meme to tell me that I don't know what a word means, when you actually don't know what it means.
  12. Decian

We need to get as many people as possible to put this in their signatures.
    • Up x 1
  13. Accuser

Obviously it IS a terrible game. And I encourage anyone who's interested to watch ANY gameplay video to see that (though TotalBiscuit's video does it in a very entertaining way).

Removing a product from a storefront because it's terrible (or even because of the actions of that product's creators) isn't censorship. If anything, it would be a boycott. No one tried to prevent the Garry's Incident a**hole developers from speaking their mind, we just don't want Steam to be tarnished by "games" of that quality.
    • Up x 1
  14. tastyBerryPunch

Ah guys it's not that bad. Just upgrade now! :eek:
  15. Trudriban

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  16. BITES

Who cares ... pay or don't ... can't complain when they want to make money, did you think this was a charity?
  17. GoyoElGringo

I understand that, but that wasn't why people were signing the petition. People were trying to do the same thing to the devs as they did to TB. I was watching it unfold and it was blatently obvious that the petition was being used as a means of retaliation. That's not why the petition failed, we all know Steam doesn't give a crap about quality control, but it did give an insight into the mindset of the people who were in such an uproar over the video being removed.
  18. Decian

Not at all. I have an Auraxiam Membership. I think the game should require a sub, then we could demand better service but, regardless, Sony's business practices/marketing are horrible. You release an F2P game, then run it like crap, then pile on ads, even most mobile games do better.
  19. Advanced Darkness

Forums are more fun than the game.. a game i havent touched since early last year, but way more enjoyable. This upgrade now thing seems similar to the commercials SOE had running in the HART waiting areas in the sanctuaries. it was so ridiculous, there were huge Axe deodorant commercials playing with sound !! We paid for the game and were paying a sub but i guess that wasnt enough money for little old SoE
  20. Captain Kid

It is the turning point. They did it to Planetside 1 (BFR's and battle islands) and Star Wars Galaxies (CU and NGE)
    Now watch and see the population dwindle in only a few weeks time. And slowly for the next few months while this game is on the back burner.

Only on a smaller scale this time.
    In one patch we get:
    Ads (although I don t see them for some reason)
    ******** chat filter
    stupid mission system
    Server disconnects at prime time for most players (EU has more players and servers the NA) (I can't even play right now by the way)

Last week they did the death screen. Which is buggy, near useless and nobody wants it.
    In the last two weeks I went from half a second freezes only to 4 second freezes sometimes resulting in crashes and high ping (spikes)

My bet is they got rid of most of the development team and this is some kind of last ditch attempt to get some money fast.
    And then watch the game die.
  21. Accuser

They still aren't the same thing. Censorship prevents speech through force, in this case it was governmental force. Petitioning for the removal of a product in response to the behavior of its creators is a voluntary boycott. No one restricted the speech of the creators of that terrible game. The situations couldn't be much more different.

In this situation, the Garry's Incident devs used a false copyright claim to harness the police power of government to silence their critics. If it were "the same thing", the Garry's Incident devs would have started a petition to boycott TotalBiscuit and his sponsors.