Invulnerability fallout and bug/glitch exploit policy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 21, 2014.

1. JazzaW

I support lifetime bans to those who knowingly exploited this bug, statistics dont lie with this. SOE are very good at banning players and have no issues doing it. Put it this way for every player that's banned, there are probably 10 odd new players who sign up. Protecting game integrity would be foremost in their thoughts.
    • Up x 1
  2. miraculousmouse

two rockets, stick'o'c4, conc nade heavies...
    • Up x 1
  3. EmmettLBrown

We should ban more players with that kind of logic. Might actually fill up the servers that way.
  4. jimredtalon

Dude this bug is as old as this game, I was thinking of coming back and playing again but I see nothing has improved. Oh and on the topic of if they are in the right for perma ban or not, yes it is in the TOS that they can perma ban you for just about anything they feel like, but it does that mean that there is a problem with the game, the players, or the companies policy.

On that note I'm out for another year, I hope its better then.
  5. RealityWarrior

Recently I fell thru some rocks at a Bio Lab external base. From inside the Rocks I could not see the rocks so I killed two people before I realized that I had team mates floating in front of me (they were on the rocks I was inside of)

I could have stayed there killing every enemy for the next 20 min while we capped the base. I didn't.

I sprinted straight forward until i was outside the rocks. I chose NOT to abuse the glitch that had presented itself. I actually felt bad about the 2 kills I got.

We had a Outfit member have a Gal that was invulnerable. Once he realized it He left the squad so no one could spawn on him then locked it and flipped it upside down and "walked" around a base held by the enemy. /yell was hilarious. Everyone on both sides knew what was happening and had a great time. He didn't kill anyone. That is an acceptable way to handle it in my opinion. We could have exploited it as an indestructible spawn point all night or the ultimate Battle Gal. That isn't the game any of us want to play.
    • Up x 2
  6. Mianera

Right, here's what I think.

- Using thirdparty hacks/exploits = Perma Ban
    - Exploiting a bug = 7 day ban
    - Exploiting a bug for a second time = Perma Ban

You've gotta be real bloody dumb if you start banning people that finance your paycheck. At the very least, a warning by a seven day ban is the way to go. Especially since your buggy software is the cause of it to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I hate hackers and exploiters as much as the next guy. But I don't think it's fair to ban people that got struck by a bug for life. I mean, it could have taken them ages to realize it. Here are some examples.

- Could be a kid playing and not paying attention to chat.
    - Could be anyone playing and not pay attention to chat (cuz most people actually don't)
    - Could be someone hungover or drunk ... or high¨

Most importantly... could be someone who gave you people A LOT OF MONEY!

So again. If they actually use a hack, fine, perma ban them. If someone makes a dumb mistake, give them a small punishment but don't perma ban unless the bahavior repeats itself. Get it? Pretty simple.
  7. LibertyOne

From what I see here, there are two basic statements in opposition of what SOE did with regards to players exploiting the invulnerable bug:

a. It's not my fault.
    b. It my fault but it's no big deal.

Given a mandatory choice, I would take people who think along the lines of b. Given a real choice, I would take both out back and kick them squarely in the balls.

The worst case here is the a-class asshats who add the notion of not knowing or not being responsible for knowing. I heard about the exploit within 30 seconds of entering the game after downloading the patch. It was in yell chat. It was in squad chat. It was in leader chat. It was on Teamspeak, Mumble and Skype. It was tweeted. It was facebooked, it just wasn't on Jimmy Fallon's joke list. AND... if you caught the bug, I guarantee you tells lit up your screen like an NSA phone list.

If, after all that, you claim that you didn't know, then you are too stupid to play and so unaware of your surroundings that you can't hit an Amp Station with a Gal. You have more important things to do with your time, like repeat the third grade.

NOW,

to better understand why zero tolerance for any form of cheating is a good idea, let's add something interesting. Money. If you look at the MLG front page, it looks kind of like Poker Stars. There is a list of tournaments followed by numbers and dollar signs. SOE wants to be part of that. Having known hacks, exploits and any tolerance for cheaters works against that objective. More to the point, if you ever played online poker, you took cheating very seriously and expected a zero tolerance environment - because of the money. Same thing with eGaming. With thousands of dollars on the line, do you really think anybody wants somebody involved who's attitude towards exploiting is either:

a. It's not my fault
    or
    b. It's my fault but it's no big deal?

Such thinking is the domain of children and athletes on anabolic steroids. Most real men don't think this way. They think like this:

c. I'm going to keep an eye out to make sure I'm not the guy exploiting this bug. And if it hits me, I'll report it, tell everyone in /yell and relog.

In short, they seek out responsibility; they don't avoid it or play footsie with it. And they sure as hell don't have any sympathy for the childish asshats who don't think the same way. Not one damn bit.

They think this way for a simple reason: they understand the quality of the game depends on the integrity of its players. If everyone dodged that responsibility, the game would die in a week flat. That's kind of a big deal.

Cheating does not depend on a sliding scale of severity; it depends on a corrupt frame of mind. If you think any level of cheating at all is acceptable anywhere, the "no big deal" scale is irrelevant. You're already doomed to asshattery.

Being here is a privilege. There are rules. Follow them or go away.
    • Up x 3
  8. Eugenitor

Who deserves to be banned from SOE forever:

- A ten-year-old who couldn't install a hack if you gave him one and finds himself immortal

- A college-educated "developer" who didn't roll back the patch once he realized that there was a bug that caused invincibility, instead leaving such a critical bug in for weeks
    • Up x 2
  9. OgreMarkX

1. Meaningful bans. Don't let cheaters prosper.
    2. Public Shaming. Any player who is banned gets named, in a forum viewable by all. But not on reddit or twitter for God's sake.
    3. Roll BACK patches that cause this. You let these things go and it just gets harder to troubleshoot. The patch you rolled out, with no QA, caused this, yet you did nothing.
    • Up x 2
  10. Fenrisk

Kids generally don't give SOE a lot of money. Not unless they steal daddys credit card :p
  11. HadesR

And most likely those type of people got a 3 or a 7 day ban ( if they got one at all ).

The kid who found himself immortal then ran around for an hour for ***** and giggles more than likely got a slapped wrist ( minimal ban)

The perma ban I would imagine was saved for those who did it over the course of many hours or over a few days ..

With a scaling ban system the punishment will fit the crime so I'm pretty sure those that got perma bans deserved it .. While Lil 10 year old Johnny not paying attention to chat while he was drunk and high got a lesser one.

Bit off topic I know .. But unless an actual continent itself needs testing Imo they should lock all but one of them .. Better yet just open up a battle island .. Players should be there to test items not ghost cap Amerish
  12. Mianera

That is only based on logical and rational thought. There is no way of knowing what course of action really took place. Ergo, you have to accept the reality that the second opinion is also very possible and very likely.
  13. HadesR

That is true :)

If only everything had been based on logical and rational thought then we wouldn't be having this conversation , because then no one would have been stupid enough to abuse the exploit to the point a perma ban was called for :p
  14. Mianera

Haha, indeed :p Wouldn't it be a jolly place if just 20% of the world could think and act logically and rationally. Aaaaaah, we can always dream ^^
  15. LibertyOne

What you advocate here is "pay to cheat". When you say "Most importantly... could be someone who gave you people a lot of money," you are saying that payment from a player should be the primary factor in deciding what to do with them. You are wrong. The most important factor is the conduct itself. The intent behind it is a distant second. Money should not be a factor at all.
    • Up x 1
  16. Mianera

Man, 21'st century dude. Get with the program. What isn't money a factor in these days.
  17. Wecomeinpeace

18. LibertyOne

My adherence to a code of conduct that requires the commitment not to cheat. I don't get paid a thin dime for that. And I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars. But why?
  19. TGDing

I really would like to just see the ages of the people posting, nothing more. To be honest, quite a few of the posts from the group of people against perma bans have this entitled sense of the world that I see from the younger generation today.

After all, if I exploit something that is obvious, that I have been told I am exploiting by several people, and I do this for an extended period of time knowing I am ruining things for other people, it is someone else's fault for giving me access to this, right? In that case, hold an ounce of [removed substance name so post is not deleted] and a scale for me, and let me get a cop. Let's see that defense hold up in the real world.
  20. TGDing

Oh, and to the people that say that any company won't ban people that cheat. If word ever got out that SOE ever had leniency on someone because they paid, I would be done. I would cancel my subscription and delete the games off of my computer. And I would be just one of many who would. Not losing a few paying customers that exploited and/or cheated would not be worth the risk of a mass exodus of legitimate paying customers if the word ever got out. If anything, the fact that people, including paying customers HAVE been banned has only made me MORE comfortable with SOE in this situation. There will ALWAYS be bugs, in even the most polished games. I am glad that when I have my night ruined by someone exploiting them, their's will come in due time.