If you are going to add an activation time to the HA overshield, give us one thing in return

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Roll Fizzlebeef, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Hiding in VR

What is it about this forum that encourages this kind of idiocy?

:(
  2. Mxiter

HA is only the most used class because FPS players plays FPS to kill stuffs.

Support class (medic engies) can earn much more certs and more easily (medic/repair tool).

Infiltrators and LA can kill more stuffs if played by half smart players.

HA is the first line grunt trooper and have nothing else.

It have strenghts, is the most powerful combat class but is also the class that have the most drawbacks. (no support ability, worst weapon control and worst mobility in combat)
  3. Hiding in VR

Why do you keep repeating this? Anyone can follow the stats for your VS character and can see you have the amazing KDR of 0.48 on your VS Heavy! Wow! Seriously, nerf the Heavy :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  4. Nephi1im

Hah... Haha..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Did you just say that HA have the most drawbacks? No really, with a straight face? That wins the thread right there. I think you're playing a different game bro.
  5. lNeBl

While HA is good at killing people if you are playing by yourself, in reality the class is basically useless in a real fight for a base because everyone you kill as a heavy is going to get ressed within 15 seconds anyways. The only classes that are actually useful towards capturing a base are those that directly support the MAX. The unit that every fight revolves around.
  6. Nephi1im

That's a pretty cool story, except stats and the math given in the freaking thread show the complete opposite. It is kinda funny to hear people playing the crutch class telling others to L2P though.

Again, all these "well I kill them" stories. By a wide margin, they outperform the other classes. You can tell us all about how 1337 you are at killing heavies, it doesn't change the facts.

Except that's not what's happening. What's happening is people hitting F and winning fights they were outplayed in.

1-2 seconds? Just making it up as you go along? No one has any idea what it will be.

Wait, heavies are supposed to win close range fights, they're intended to? Man, I wish the tooltip for the class said that... would have made choosing much easier... "Play this class if you want to have an outright advantage in 90% of the game" That is unless you're pulling more out of your ***.... but you wouldn't do that would you!?

Again, thanks for the advice, but it's contrary to what is actually happening. Classes should be equal situationally. Heavies are the best in far too many situations. It's a dice roll for other classes too foten even when they engage a heavy where they're supposed to. That is the issue, and the devs are trying to correct that issue.
  7. Nephi1im

Oh boy, another appeal to the MAX. I wish there was something measurable to check this with because I'd wager maybe 10-20% of fights I can think of are decided by MAXes. Kinda dramatic don't you think?
  8. Posse

I love when people say these things without showing their characters.
  9. WycliffSlim

I've played HA about 15% of my playtime. Nice try though.

Obviously they weren't outplayed. As other people have shown, if you get the jump on a HA from behind and have halfway competent aim their shield and health will be gone before they can realistically turn around and fight back.

Description of the class:
    "The development of the Heavy Assault soldier was a relatively recent innovation on Auraxis. Designed to combat the surge of instant nanite-assembled vehicles, their presence on the battlefield poses a serious threat to tanks and infantry alike. Their custom Reinforced Exosuit armor configuration is responsible for their ability to take hits that would kill other soldiers, while their heavy weaponry allows them to punch holes in enemy tanks or lay down sustained fire. Equipped with some of the strongest armor and weapons available to infantry, a seasoned Heavy Assault will leave a path of corpses and burning wreckage in their wake.
    Their armor and shields can take more punishment than most other soldiers can, allowing them to dominate in direct close-quarters conflict where their heavy weapons are most effective."

What was that again?

Classes SHOULDN'T be equal situationally. That's the entire point of having different classes. Each class has advantages in different situations. If every class were equal in every situation you wouldn't have classes. HA's are good at close to mid-range face tanking damage and dishing it out.

They're not good at,
    Supporting teammates, sustaining themselves on the battlefield, getting into the best flanking positions, taking enemies out from longer ranges.

HA's perform well because most players in Planetside take a direct approach to their target and try to push right through enemy resistance instead of flanking or looking for different routes. HA's are good at combating that direct push and laying down a wall of lead/lazors to stop it.
    • Up x 1
  10. Flashtirade

The only way I'd ever be okay with delayed activation is if they remove one of the other downsides to compensate:
    - Activation energy (for NMG and Adrenaline)
    - Movement speed (for all, but I'd rather this one stay and one of the others go)
    - Drain while active (for NMG and Adrenaline)

Otherwise there would hardly be a reason to run anything but Resist, which only takes 50 certs to be fully effective. In fact, I predict the meta would shift to Resist/shield capacitor (since neither flak armor nor nanoweave stack with the shields).
    • Up x 1
  11. TheRev

Scourge loves exploiting the ****** netcode and knows what this would mean to a VS player.
  12. LegioX

All you people claiming the HA has an "i win" shield have one thing in common. You either need to L2P or you can't aim for crap. Just because you s*ck at this game doesnt mean you have to drag everybody down with you and your inability to aim correctly.
  13. Nocturnal7x

Meh, this is gonna make HA almost worthless. Most of the time I take out HAs before they can activate there shield. Now I will always take out HAs before they activate their shield.

IMO if they are gonna give it an activation time, they also need to buff it ever so slightly(but slight buffs are not something SOE are capable of).

But also imo they are nerfing it wrong. It should be turned into a flak shield, yes I agree with BCP here.
  14. Mxiter

-LMGs bad recoils patterns and long reload
    -Shield slow down theHA and makes it an easy headshot targets.
    -Unability to get XP by supporting your friendlies.
    -Less situationnal awareness than LA/Inf.

HA have to takes risks to get XP.

2 ammos box ticks from 3 infantries or rezzing 2 people are more rewarding than killing 1 guys and are much brainless than using HA.

Oh i have also no issues to kill an HA with a 750+ rpm hipfiring carabine/AR or /w a shotgun at cqc with a "support" class. And if i dies to HA, i certainly deserved it (bad aim, wrong class for that moment ect...)
  15. Goretzu

This is the problem I foresee.

Whether they want to nerf NMG and Ad sheild is up to SOE (I'm puzzled at them suddenly not wanting any HA shield to work reactively, but whatever).

But the result has to be balanced; if they are just sticking a significant delay on NMG/Ad, it basically means Resist becomes the only worthwhile option.

Which doesn't really fix anything, it just makes NMG/Ad shields pointless. :confused:
  16. Bl4ckVoid

Heavy is most uses because of the insane vehicle spam. Everywhere there are tons of tanks and AC bombarding everything to hell. People like the ability to shoot back.

If shield is nerfed, then most players will switch to medic and go to biolab or some walled base.
  17. Bl4ckVoid

The nerf may be the final straw for many people - including me - to find another game to play.
  18. Bonom Denej

I play HA as my main class, because I started this game with it and dumped certs into it. I started with NMG and switched to Resist since it was more rewarding to my playstyle. When they changed NW with it not stacking with Resist Shield anymore, I really hesitated to come back to NMG... But now, I'm really asking what would be the reason not to take Resist Shield if NMG have an activation delay. When activating prior to the fight, Resist Shield will be (or at least it seems it will be) a better option since it doesn't drain your effective HP right away.

I don't mind a nerf but I think they're dealing with it the wrong way. As far as the shield goes, maybe tone down the numbers a bit (500 instead of 650, which could be one less bullet to kill), but the activation delay completely negates its original purpose.

Let's see what they come up with.
  19. Surmise

I absolutely disagree.

I think TR/VS would be extremely underpowered in infantry section, because the TR heavies would spam Cycler TRVs with 40bullets in mag and 845 RPM 24/7 or 40mag TAR's, the infantry combat would consist of Heavies all day every day, and TR infantry would be overpowered, sorry it's stupid.

Also Medics are the only class that should have AR's, no other class would be balanced for it, especially not Heavy assault, just think a little about adv laser sight Cycler TRV/TAR 40mag TR heavy spam, it would be gamebreaking, especially because of RPM.
  20. KnightCole

I swear, this is exactly one reason I played HA so much, in addition to the fact I love Machineguns with large mag caps haha.

But I found myself sitting in a tower looking for infantry targets for my medic AR and its tank, tank, tank, plane, car, flash, tank, tank......just as soon as I would swap to my Medic, another something that requires rockets would show up.

Once I learned about the shield I just fell in love with the HA more.