Invulnerability fallout and bug/glitch exploit policy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Silvermyst

I definitely agree with banning people for exploiting known bugs, but I think lifetime bans can be just a little on the harsh side.

With hackers people go out of their way to cheat at a game and so permabanning them is completely justified.

With bug exploiters it's dropped on them and they might think they're just being "funny" by using it, or get greedy, take advantage of a situation then regret it immediately afterwards.

If SOE wants to permaban people for exploiting bugs, that's fine, it's literally up to them to do so. But if I could offer a suggestion it'd be to at max give a 1 month ban and and then "flag" their account for first time offences when it comes to bug exploiting.

If a player has gotten a "flag" on their account for exploiting a bug, and then on a future date exploits the same bug or a different bug and it gets reported, then a permaban is deserved.

Now as far as people saying "it's SOE's fault, so players shouldn't be held accountable" that isn't any excuse. SOE obviously didn't mean to implement this, and I'm sure are taking every step they can to fix it. If you knowingly exploit a bug that's not meant to be in the game it's cheating. Not hacking, but still cheating. It still needs to be taken very seriously. I think that players should be given the "benefit of the doubt" in these cases but dealt with harshly if they refuse correction and knowingly do it again.

Thanks for the response Higby. My trust in you and your dev team goes up every time I hear from you.
    • Up x 2
  2. RyanGUK

I asked what the reasons were and if they were the reasons, then yeah I guess it wasn't so harsh after all.
  3. Bruno Puntz Jones

They mentioned some BR100s and "whales" got banned, but I note they did not say any of those people were the ones who were permabanned. That seems rather unlikely, and I would be the permabans all were throwaway free accounts with zero cash spend, that they knew people obviously had created just to run amok with the exploit, to avoid getting a main banned.
  4. Tasp

If you don't understand the TOS you shouldn't be playing. Knowingly exploiting bugs is a bannable offense. If you knowingly exploit a bug, even one that sony accidentally put in the game you deserve your ban and good riddance. There have been people in yell chat bragging about their invincibility, that constitutes knowledge of abusing a broken system. Their mistake is abusing that bug. The moment you discover you're invincible you file a bug report and try to get out of that state, if that means restarting the game then I recommend doing that because if you value your character it's the only reasonable course of action.

I don't see what the problem here is, and everyone who's complaining about bans being harsh needs to take a hard look at how they approach games. All this whining on the forums about iwin buttons, it never ends, it's been flooding the forums since beta, and now a bug shows up that is essentially that and people are defending it and saying abusing that power isn't a problem?

What a joke.
  5. Zar

id buy it
    • Up x 3
  6. IamDH

Intentional exploit of a bug that is game-breaking.

Im not being sarcastic but what more do you want? This is on par with hacking

I agree with perma-bans for those intentionally doing it (for a long period of time)

I think there should be some sort of ingame message saying that exploiters will be banned as well.
  7. axiom537

Or you can do what we did the other night. A player in a prowler was invulnerable, so we started pulling proxy repair sunderers. He couldn't kill us and eventually ran out of AMMO, so we surrounded him and pinned him in so he couldn't get more ammo. WE had him trapped for like 20 minutes till he gave up and logged.

Was one of the funniest things Ive ever seen in game.
    • Up x 6
  8. P4nda

Bugs are the nature of MMOs. Exploiting bugs has never been accepted and always results in bans. I received the bug once so far - guess what I did? /reported myself, relogged, fixed the bug and started playing again.

Truthfully I wanted all bans to be life bans or a character deletion because this invincibility bug has literally not made me want to log in and fight for a week. If you're over BR15 or simply have some common sense, you should 100% understand when something isn't right and to relog.

I have no sympathy (I'm sure SOE doesn't either) for exploiters and the consequences that are dished out. Every exploiter my outfit has ran into (lots) we PM them (imagine how obvious it is when 48-60 people send you a private message) that what they're doing is exploiting and bannable and all they have to do is relog.

Not a single exploiter replied or relogged. So burn them.
    • Up x 3
  9. vincent-

Nope if you know full well what you were capable of and still abused it than it's your own damn fault in my opinion. I can let 2-3 kills and suddenly finding out that max just put rounds in you and you didn't die than oops and you try too redeploy too fix yourself that can be forgiven but abusing it from 3 kills to 40 kills than you get your just desserts.
  10. Goretzu

I never had the bug, and wouldn't have abused it anyway, but just to be safe the game tends to crash every 10 mins or so anyway. :D
  11. Cromell

Think of it this way: they are not banning people for having a bug they introduced. They are banning them for being massive jerks and RUINING THE FUN FOR OTHER PLAYERS. I've seen a bunch of those on Cobalt, running around, killing sunderers and basically destroying good fights.

People like that deserve a ban because there is no place for such people in ANY community.
  12. rockNoob

An invulnerable tankbuster liberator that exploits the hell out of it is the kind of stuff that is worth a tempban.
  13. Halcyon

Ban 'em.
    Ban 'em all.
  14. DukeFlash

How about both? Surely, better quality assurance (AKA less buggy live patches) is always a good thing but that's no reason to give exploiters/cheaters free reign. They'll just take that as a sign that it's okay to cheat.
  15. GoEErs

Ditto
  16. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

Thats what test servers are for !! Should have been on test server, and tested before ever hitting live server. The fact that you guys put it out there was fair game for use. People pay money to play working games . Think its a little to drastic to ban someone who paid money, for a game patch you guys put out without testing !! That bug would have been caught PDQ on a test server!!
  17. Dante02

Well done SOE and thank-you. I just hope the bans were account wide.

An excellent, though under-powered, assault on The Crown came to a screeching halt the other day because of an invuln. prowler that just stopped at every point and killed all the sundies. I logged in frustration. What's the point? I'm looking for good fights, not lame script-kiddies.

I, too, have spent hundreds on SOE. What camps dollar is worth more? The, 'if you know how you can cap any point hidden in the wall' or the 'I just want to have fun' group? I bet SOE knows which camp spends more and the bans are circumstantial proof of that.
  18. crusaderx11

A couple of days ago I got the immortal gal glitch. I dropped my squad on the point and rammed an enemy lib with bad situational awareness. By then I had a dozen AA guns and rockets switching to fire at me and they weren't doing sh*t to my gal. So i ditched the gal, landed next to an enemy prowler (he failed to kill me as well), and apologized in yell to the TR for the troublesome kill deny because of the glitch before despawning. You have no excuse not knowing after a few kills while being attacked that your character is immortal. And continuing to play with said character is blatant exploitation. The guys in the stories i'm hearing of guys running around and knifing entire armies deserve the perma ban.
  19. NC_agent00kevin

Disagree.

Abuse a game bug and you're a cheater, just as anyone who uses hax is. Same treatment should be given.
  20. biterwylie

Ban exploiters for life! Thumbs Up!