Will the april balance pass finally give the reaver an advantage over the other ESF?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Naterian

No.

Beta and release up to GU2, the reaver was unequivocally overpowered because of how ESFs carried momentum then. You could indefinitely cruise around at 300 mph and severely outmaneuver any opponent. Literally could just straight up run from a2a, vortek was even more ahead of the others cannons then too, the airhammer also did more damage. The reaver actually had a smaller hitbox too.

I mean really, the reaver was stronger than it is now before they made a pass at the noseguns.

Not really.

The Reaver was hands down the best ESF when QRY formed and it's at least in second position as it stands now. The name goes both ways really now though because people say we only fly it because it's OP.

Ya you're wrong here man. The Reaver is harder to control for sure but once you figure it out it's a treat to fly. I really can't stand flying the other ESFs anymore.
    • Up x 2
  2. Angry Scientist

Again, I am not saying the reaver is worthless. I merely wish it to have a current edge, or trait, that the other factions would not have. Mossie has X and is weak with Y. Scythe has X and is weak with Y. It feels, currently, like the reaver just has 'weak with Y' to its name, as lower numbers of air support and the k/d ratio posted about suggest.

Plus vanguard shield is getting nerfed, and god dammit, some vehicle on this faction has to be worth something and it'll be awhile before the vanguard gets love back after the complaints got it the hammer.
  3. Naterian

A current edge or trait for the reaver would be it's superior DPS, faster afterburner, the air-hammer and it's hovering abilities.

This means that any situation where you get nose to nose and you can trade damage to your opponent, you win. This means that any situation where you are intelligent about your AB usage, then you can choose exactly when and where to be faster than your opponent. The airhammer with AB tanks I'm sure is the most mobile heavy hitting platform in the entire game. What else can come close to such massive damage and be so mobile? And it has so MUCH ammo. It's wonderful.
    • Up x 3
  4. Herby20

Not gonna lie, I hated the Reaver when I first flew it, but after doing some stuff on the test server I have started to really enjoy flying one.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tar

so... yes, it was different, really.
  6. Tar

absolute speed is just one of many parameters, by far not the most important one.
    Racer makes sense for certain types of gameplay, especially the "our air gang is bigger than yours, or we flee" one, but that's not what everyone prefers (I don't) and it won't win you a duel, be it with another ESF or a lib.
  7. Naterian

I read it wrong, mai bad.
  8. Hosp

My 2 cents:

Reaver has nothing empire specific going for it unless fail is an empire specific trait. At the same time, it doesn't need much to be brought up to par.

- Make it as entry friendly as the Scythe & Mossy.
    - Shrink the hitbox/model a tiny bit.
    - Really make that AB advantage useful. Its effect is only useful if near a way to escape to begin with.

Nothing much, but should be less frustrating for new pilots and really balance things out for existing ones.
  9. Zar

if think the reaver AB isn't the best in the game right now and needs a buff more then a nerf... you are playing the reaver wrong and i feel bad for you.
  10. Epic High Five

Why learn to play when you can learn to go fast, faster than everybody else, all of the time?

Make THEM learn how to play
  11. BadAsElite

Biggest loads of bull iv seen for a while.
  12. Hosp

When used w/ fuel pods, you're right. But stop an think about base models (w/o any performance mods). Scythe has inherent hover. Mossy, inehrent Dogfighter. Reaver? Unless fuel pods are used has inherent nothing. Vortek was taken away. Dive Physics were taken away. VThrust is unnoticeable. But by your condescension, there's no further need to bother w/ you. So we'll agree to disagree.
  13. Herby20

While the Scythe has the slowest idle drop speed, the Reaver has by far the best vertical thrust (it is very noticeable). The afterburners still let it have the best chase/escape potential because of the top speed difference. The Vortek still has the fastest time to kill.
  14. Odin

nothing is going to change balance wise. Statistically the reaver has been in last place in a2a kills, infantry kills, score per minute, k/d ratios etc etc since the game opened and is still the same. If they haven't fixed it yet they wont be fixing it. Every ace on my server moved to vs and now they are telling us how great the reaver is, yeah sure it is lol
    Until I see the reaver in anything but last place at dasanfall or other stat sites I basically ignore the drivel put out by tr and vs pilots who really have no clue how being 25% bigger is a massive disadvantage. Imagine a infantry player who was 25% bigger from all angles in a firefight, he would be ****** and anyone who flies knows how easy a reaver is to hit with no upside.
    But you will find plenty of "pros" telling us how balanced it is cause they don't like to admit they won their "mlgpro" hover battle because they were riding in a better aircraft.
  15. Runegrace

It does.

Scythes die most often to Reavers, 2.3% more likely.
    Mossies die most often to Reavers, 8.0% more likely.

Reavers die most often to Mossies, 1.9% more likely.

We can conclude that Reavers are pulled most often, and there are many bad Reaver pilots who swarm the other faction's ESFs to death. They also really seem to hate Mossies. Anything else?
  16. minhalexus

Mossies are much easier to kill than Scythes IMO. (coming from a reaver pilot)

I hate scythes much more than i hate mossies. I used to hate mossies more when i wasnt as good as i am now.
    Mossies are fairly balanced with the Reaver. IMO

No we can not conclude that Reaver pilots are worse than other faction pilots. (there can be no balancing if you look at it this way)

If i reaver dies more, it's expected that dedicated pilots will pull more reavers. (regardless of their skill)

For example:

Reaver dies every 20 mins. 3 reavers pulled in an hour. (same person)
    Mossie dies every 30 mins. 2 mossies pulled in an hour. (same person)
    Scythe dies every 30 mins. 2 scythes pulled in an hour. (same person)

You can not just say the *insert faction* has bad players in *insert category*
    There will be no balance this way.
  17. Xervous

TTK numbers for ESFs...

Close range damage
    bullets to kill / mag size(with upgrade),
    accuracy for onemag.
    TTK at 100% accuracy, TTK at onemag
    TTK at 2mag
    Firing cycle (empty mag + reload)
    damage per mag
    dps

TLDR: reaver has highest burst, highest sustained at close range. Mossi has lowest burst, lowest sustain, but is more forgiving on onemags (however they are atrociously long)

ALSO: stock nosegun stuff
    [IMG]

Again, reaver is best in class for dps and TTK. Do note that while the saron 2mag time is lower than the mustang, the required accuracy for this is 4% higher (aka x 1.04 mustang acc) than that required for the mustang.

And yet again, we see the mossi has only the biggest magazine/firerate to brag about... though its like they're shooting bean bags.
  18. Angry Scientist

A whole 2% better! That makes up for having the biggest hitbox by 20%, the slowest stock speed without afterburn, and the sluggish handling! Oh, and we can go the fastest...for a few seconds every 30.
  19. GaBeRock

Heck, if you tilt the nose to -20ºs and hit control, even stock mossie can hover upside down indefinitely.
  20. Jachim

Why should the Reaver have an edge over the other ESFs? Aren't the NC satisfied with being overpowered in every other way? You need MORE advantages over your opponents?