Logged out after 5 minutes; I think I'm done with this game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Captain Kid

I WANT to like it; I love the freedom a mmofps offers. No loading times between maps, massive battles, meta game, persistent character, galaxy drops, outfits, etc.

I just played 5 minutes and already logged out in boredom and frustration.

Spawning for once was fine, I actually could spawn in a large (ish) battle.
    We were just pushing back the enemy from our base.
    I was running from the base towards a bridge, zig zag running from cover to cover because of snipers.
    Just as I was behind cover a random tank shell (fired from 100 plus meters) killed me.

Spawn again, run all the way across the bridge, onto a ridge (Light assault obviously since you can't get anywhere with the other classes with all these ridges and cliffs) made it to the enemy base, being sneaky and trying to flank the enemy (took about 2 minutes getting there, so 2 minutes off dodging snipers and tank shells) run through a building. DEAD. Killed by a random or camping smg infiltrator. Same with the tank; I did nothing wrong but still die instantly without even the option to fight back or even see it coming.

Wanted to respawn, saw there was no AMS (as usual) and decided I was in no mood to get my own and have it blown up by enemy fire I can't even see or defend against. Also had no desire to run all that way again. Logged out.

I have no stomach for this bullcrap anymore. It takes forever to get in to a good fight and 2/3 of my deaths are against stuff I'm enable to defend against or even see coming. (no cover!! open fields and stupid cliffs) I'm sick and tired of spawn camping, camping in general, air, infiltrator, maxes and tanks even since my Annihilator is useless now.

I know the moronic base and map design makes these issues bigger then they actually are and I really should play on Amerish. But most people play on Indar and if I wanted small fights I would play a better game.
    • Up x 2
  2. Sledgecrushr

Umm, learn to read the map. Really all the info is right there for you to choose the kind of fight you want to get into. Other than that dont run in front of tanks they have big explosive cannon shots that will kill you.
    • Up x 23
  3. SharpeShooter

how is that bull crap? lol you played stupid and you got killed! Learn to play or just leave! Why you thought it necessary to post this pointless post I don't know.
    • Up x 11
  4. NC_agent00kevin

I only have issues getting my Sundy blown up if we are overwhelmed with tanks. I solo, but I do provide Sunderers regularly. I hang around that Sunderer as an Infiltrator keeping darts up, betties where I expect suicide bombers to approach, and tank mines down on suspected tank paths to the sunderer. If it takes damage I go engie and repair and move it if I have to. I typically find a great place no matter what the base is and even if a smart engineer takes the time to set up a turret 8 miles away, I am right there to relocate it.

Sounds like you need to join a good outfit though. These are problems that zergs have. Thats why I do this when I solo; they never protect their Sunderers and generally fail when its destroyed. Plus I have fun taking care of our mobile spawn. At times I just cruise around in a repair or ammo sundy too.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tommyp2006

Id like to know how the tank shell was random. He aimed at you anduyou died.
    • Up x 4
  6. IPLAYTF2

attacking bases sucks in this game

protip: only defend your bases getting attacked so you have a guaranteed spawn point
    • Up x 2
  7. Dan_Killian

I logged on yesterday and spawned at a battle on Amerish. Just for giggles, I grabbed my MCG and entered the fray. It must have been my night because I was mowing people down nonstop, then I saw a reaver shot gunning people left and right, pulled out my deci, and blasted that BR100 out of the air.

It was pure awesomeness!

I am not trying to belittle your frustrations, but PS2 is a game that has an extreme ebb and flow of frustration and enjoyment. I have had nights where it seems like every possible cheesy death that could possibly happen, happens. Step on a proxy mine, damn, respawn in tower walk out the top and get shot gunned by a LA, respawn again go to a ledge to take pot shots and get lolpodded, etc.
    • Up x 6
  8. Akeita

Trying to be sneaky don't go along with "dodging snipers and tank shells". You are all over the mini map already, this game got a Q spot button, this ain't your COD/BF. Choosing Light assault for open field is another wrong option. YOU DID EVERYTHING WRONG. As you said, this is a bloody massive battles, don't expect anyone to cover your *** if you are not in a squad/platoon. I'm pretty sure a tank have the right to stomp the flob out of your socks and pants if you let them have LOS on you sitting still, and the rest of the reply that anyone ever post is just basically "L2P noobs" type of reply to your thread.
    • Up x 7
  9. Eugenitor

Won't help; Amerish was moronized last month or so.
  10. Captain Kid

Yeah I know. But the enjoyment is few and far between. I would say about 10% of the time I'm having a really good time.
  11. Koldorn

Be part of the solution, not the problem.
    Join Amerish.

It really is that much of a difference.
    I don't know what BR you are, how long you've been playing; or really anything else about your server / outfit / whatever.
    Given only that you're tired of the (agreeably) terrible design of Indar; spend some time on Amerish.

Find an outfit that operates there. Join the faction that tends to be there. (My server usually has an even split of either NC / TR, or NC / VS. One team doesn't always want to play; but that team is never NC.)

And let the fun commence!
    • Up x 3
  12. BeastingOnYah

you got to understand PS2 is a game where deaths and crazy things are inevitable so just because you dies to a SMG infiltrator or a tank shell (which are never random) or even death by things you didn't see coming PS2 is a game where you have to be observant, tolerant, and most of all you have be patient and since it was your first time obviously your going to be a little garbage but after time you will get used to it
  13. Captain Kid

Then apparently all the other players did something wrong as well because they were doing exactly the same. And I'm sure a lot of them will get frustrated as well, why you think this game hasn't blown Battlefield out of the water. Should be a no brainer with it's 2000 players per map.
  14. deggy

If you died to a tank shell from 100+ meters you were probably standing still.

Also, equip Darklight.
  15. OldMaster80

Hey didn't you see there's a minimap in the death screen telling you where do bullets come from?. According to Higby it has been made exactly for players like you that want to quit because they die and don't understand how. Btw if you die like that you're doing it wrong, it means you still have to learn how the game works.
    One simple suggestion for instance is never rush the enemy with infantry when they have tanks. Check the minimap: unless they have Stealth vehicles are visible most of times. Another tip is to fire crossbow recon darts and equip a darklight if you're afraid of Infiltrators. Play in a team and try to coordinate. There is ALWAYS a solution to every situation in this game. If you want to quit just because you died twice just change game, PS2 is not made for you. And if you die like that the problem is not the game, it's the player.

You say you love massive battles but then you want to ragequit because you die. Big battles require a superior effort to get some combat awarness: bullets come from everywhere, there is people everywhere and combat situations vary a lot. That's what makes PS2 so cool compared to other fps: the big scale makes it unpredictable. On the other hand it's not the kind of game you master in 2 minutes, if you want a more controllable environment go for the classic arena fps like Titanfall, Hawken and so on.
  16. BeastingOnYah

You say few and far between when you say you only played for 5 minutes how can you say that? you have barely played the game long enough to understand strategies and already you quit? The only way that makes sense is if you have played for a longer time on another character and by the nature of your forum post it doesn't seem like it
  17. Captain Kid

I have already played 500 hours I think. I'm doing well against regular infantry. Flanking them, headshots, etc. It's the other enemies (infiltrator smg, snipers, tanks, air, maxes, etc. basically the "unable to defend, instant death, didn't see it coming type) I'm having issues with.
    Obviously I've been reading up how to deal with those but quickly hit a brick wall; CERTS. I do not have C4. Or anti tank mines. or anti air max or any max weapons. And driving sucks in this game.
  18. Silvermyst

I find it often helps to pick your battles not based on how big they are, but rather based upon the positioning of the armies involved.

If you spawn in a base that has enemy tanks and snipers covering it you need to either fight from within cover (not running out and crossing a bridge), or, if you want to leave you have to be careful to look around before jumping from cover and preferably use an infiltrator so you can cloak when running from cover to cover.

Or go spawn a tank.

Also, you say that you can't get anywhere without a light assault because of all the ridges and cliffs. Cliffs are only a problem in some specific areas. (say south-eastern Indar) You can avoid them by choosing your battles more carefully. "Ridges" on the other hand can be scaled by most infantry if you know how to do it right. Specifically you need to learn how to "wall walk" as Wrel puts it:

This is a skill I don't ever remember learning in a game because it's second nature to me, but I know that some people have never figured it out. It's usable in pretty much any open world game, if you've played any of the Elder Scrolls games and didn't know how to do this I feel very, very bad for you.

If you've been playing for 500 hours how do you not have anti-tank mines, etc.? It costs you maybe 300 certs for anti-tank mines, and most non-member players get something like 30 certs an hour. That's 10 hours, or 1/50th of your playing time.

A big piece of advice I'd give is to never buy guns with your certs if you haven't certed out your abilities and equipment.

If you buy a new carbine, for example, you'll have 2 carbines you choose from with your light assault/engineer. It'll be nice, but you obviously can't use both carbines at the same time.

On the other hand, getting the carbine you have certed out, and unlocking mines, C4, etc. is a far better investment. You won't have two different but "poor" loadouts, instead you'll have a single loadout that's much more effective.

This is coming from somebody who hasn't spent a lot of money on this game. I've been playing for a year and managed to never buy anything until yesterday. I got the "fresh meat pack" in the store that gets you a NS-7 PDW and a camo (normally $7 and 5$) for $1.99, usable on all your characters. (as all NS system weapons are if you buy them with real cash). I thought that was too good of a deal to pass up, especially considering that I still didn't actually have an SMG (I've been spending my certs on non-weapons, like I said above) and wanted to try it out.
    • Up x 2
  19. Akeita

Because I don't choose light assault to move in open field, I choose infiltrators and take alternative path.

Because I don't try to fight tanks even as HA, the only time I would do so is with LA drifter C4/AP Vanguard/ AH - Hornet reavers

Because my main infantry class is infiltrator, and I love stomping imbeciles peasant with my "cheap" stuff they called, such as pods.

Everyone did something wrong, that's when you die in this game.
    • Up x 1
  20. TheStonehawk

Then you've discovered SOE's master plan. Frustrate you till you buy the tools you need.

Worked with me. I played for a year until finally I got so frustrated with lolpodding that I purchased a skyguard and AA rockets. It actually was a good buy. Had fun ever since playing AA. Worth $10 to me.
    • Up x 1