Game will freeze, black screen, then run normally again

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by XiloTheOdd, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Shamrock

Was discussing this with outfit on team-speak last night and surprised at how many were effected, all were high spec systems using Nvidea cards right up to Titans.

On a side note my crash's are nearly always triggered by redeploying which is an absolute nightmare when your trying to lead a squad.
    • Up x 1
  2. AnotherDave

This only ever happened to me when looking at the map and then only once or twice in a few hour session. It hasn't happened to me since 27th Feb patch, but unfortunately that patch has brought it's own much worse performance issue for me.
  3. Diplocaulus

I've gotten the black screen freeze twice now since the latest update, each time lasting for about 5 seconds or so, then the game restores. It's accompanied by an electronic buzzing sound.

The last time it happened (about an hour ago), after the game restored I was in an close quarters infantry fight and all the other players--friendly and otherwise--began warping all over the place. It was unplayable. When I exited the game I got a NVIDIA message saying that my video drivers had stopped working, then recovered.

I did a PlanetSide 2 file integrity check, rebooted and played for another half hour and all was fine.
  4. XiloTheOdd

the problem is a combination nVidia updating its drivers 3 times in a month (normally we see 1 every month not including betas) and then the Devs for PS2 not checking for issues. the issue seems to partially be a video memory leak, this causes the card to heat up and GPU meters will show 100% use. until of course it reaches the breaking point and the card realizes there is a problem and reboots.

for those that have audio accompany the screen, are you running your audio through the HDMI cable hooked to your monitor? if so that could be the case. i run mine through a separate sound card by creative labs so i only get the black screen itself.

dunno bout the rest of you guys but im not spending a single penny on this game till its fixed. what good is a sniper or pilot when he suddenly cant navigate because accessing the map could cause (more than one) crashes?
  5. DirArtillerySupport

Identical problem...rolled back nvidia drivers...problem solved.
    • Up x 1
  6. Diplocaulus

According to my tech geek son when a video card becomes unresponsive for longer than 3 seconds (due to a memory leak, say), Windows 7 will force the card to reboot. That would explain the screen freeze followed by a black screen, at least in my case.

My card has 3GB of memory, so seems odd to me that it would fill up, but I see nothing wrong with rolling back the drivers until something better comes along.
  7. XiloTheOdd

the problem of memory leaks is it'll go on till it cant any longer, more ram doesnt mean the problem will be contained. your card will get hot though if your in a normal room temp enviroment, mine spikes up around 85c and im in a nice cool basement, my CPU with its liquid cooler never exceeds 40c. so yeah a memory leak can be a very serious problem unless your very cold then it can save your life and keep you warm.
  8. Heiltdo

This still happens, tried installing new drivers, doesn't work.

This made ps2 unplayable for me after the last patch/
  9. noobindo

Install old drivers. 290 work well.
  10. XiloTheOdd

The point is i could be playing literally ANY other game and not have this issue on the latest drivers as goes for many others. having to revert my video drivers is just silly to fix it for ONE game when all my other games benefit from me being on the latest drivers.
  11. KeoSeven

Hello everyone. I'm new here in the forums and I came by to both complain of, and research, the freeze/black screen/normal screen issue as well.

I haven't played Planetside 2 in several months. I decided the other day that I wanted to jump back on and check it out to see what all was new. Everything ran fine for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then the screen would lock up for just about a half-second, go to black and then the image would return as if nothing were wrong.

I noticed everyone was listing old driver versions in the thread so I checked the ones that I currently have installed. They are Version 335.23 released March 10, 2014. As far as I can tell, they are the most recent. I am running a GeForce GTX 760 2-GB Superclocked video card with 16-GB of RAM, so I am pretty certain the hardware is not the problem.

Does anyone know if the development team has addressed this issue at all? It sounds like it is extremely widespread from what the one person previously said (negatively affecting 40% of the users he knows). I agree with XiloTheOdd. I don't want to have to roll back the drivers just to play this game when they work absolutely fine on every other game I own.

Just curious to know if anyone has heard anything in the past month or so? Thanks for the response in advance.
  12. Noblease

332.21 has fixed the black screen for me, too . :)

GeForce GTX 780 Ti
  13. HotPepperDelivery

I heard NVIDIA is testing their ps2 driver, but after that no information since they don't know when they are going to release.
  14. BlackDove

It black screens no matter what drivers you use. It doesnt do it as much recently though.
  15. Alopix

I've seen this a few times; it usually coincides with a shadowplay crash. Specifically, the Nvidia Capture Server seemed to be crashing, often when opening the map. I didn't see it at all a couple weeks ago on my old computer, with an AMD GPU.

I'm just using the stable release drivers, no betas or anything. Honestly it happens so infrequently that I am just dealing with it.
  16. Morderoc

Hello,

I know the disintering of topics is bad, but I have this problem (exactly the same)

Game will freeze, black screen, then runs normally. I assume this is a graphic card driver problem (I have a GeForce GT 555m), as said previously in this topic. I would know if anybody here can tell me what is the last "stable" driver I can use in order to run PS2 and fly my mossie (can you imagine me as a mossie pilot : 1)chasing a reaver, 2)freeze, 3)black screen, 4)the wreck of the mossie in a mountain.)

If there is an other solution to the problem, I'm interested too.

I want to precise this is a "new" problem I noted when I back to the game after a break of about six months. I tried to roll back my driver to an april 2014 version, and noted no black screen, but the game was too ugly to be played.