Heavy shield nerf suggestion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by vsae, Mar 19, 2014.

1. vsae

Exactly, People are just inaccurate. But no no no, everyone else is wrong! Heavy shield is op!
    • Up x 3
  2. miraculousmouse

Agreed, especially at longer ranges where i am strafing back and forth to throw off the aim of snipers and othwr battle rifle users, im effectively at rhw mercy of the cloaking men that can oneshot me. At close quarters i use my shield only if i am 1v1ing or attackng an unwary group, if i pop my shield and they are aware of me all itt taes is for one guy to aim atthe general direction of my head and unload. Honestly the biggest problem ive had in general (shielded or not) were infiltrators who commis/knife me or light assaults in big battles pump actioning me. Wish i had this so called auto iWin shield.:rolleyes:
  3. miraculousmouse

4. ScrapyardBob

The fact that the developers used the "I-win" term in their communications shows a distinct lack of awareness about the state of the game and how the (3) HA shields stack up against each other.

HA shields are fine. They do not need a spool-up timer. HAs are supposed to be tough, otherwise everyone will just run around as engineers which are far more versatile.

If the developers are so worried about HAs being over-powered (which they aren't), then they should consider cutting down the amount of HP or resists that the shields grant. (And watch their subscriber numbers drop another few percent....)
    • Up x 2
  5. Posse

I'd like to add that it's way too funny to read people talking about HA mechanics when they didn't play the class and obviously don't understand the consequences of adding a delay to a shield that's supposed to be REACTIVE, not preemptive.
    • Up x 5
  6. UberBonisseur

I start running in circles every time someone shoots me.

Sometimes they indeed "can't aim" and empty their magazine.
    Most of the time it still results in a death but all those near misses at least quadruples the TTK.
    Then you can activate the shield.

So if you don't kill a heavy in less than one second, even if you aim properly, it makes killing heavies very undesirable. Saying "learn2aim" doesn't make the shield less of a crutch. The intended role for heavies is to be the bulky frontline infantry, and it will still do that after the nerf. It just takes away the cheap survivability.
  7. Eugenitor

Wait, this is actually something that the developers said they were planning on doing? Adding yet another delay and nerf to this game, this time to one of the fundamental differences between the classes?

Infils aren't stealthy, LAs are loud as hell, and now they're going to nerf HAs?

Someone needs to schedule an intervention.
  8. Posse

So then, enlighten me, what would be the point of NMG/Adrenaline if they can't be used reactively?

And I'm not even getting into the consequences of nerfing HA for other classes, a HA nerf is an indirect MAX buff which is the most overpowered unit in the game right now (besides Viper Lightnings)
  9. AltF4Fun

Thats the most common thing on this forum.To complain about things they havent even tested themselfes.I always feel ashamed of people if they post a nurf this nurf that thread and then someone posts stats and you can see they havent even touched the things they are talking about for 2 mins.....
  10. Tar

who where when says anything should be done to HA shields?
  11. Goretzu

Yeah it was mentioned in the road map section, I think.
  12. Hiding in VR

How is that not true of any class?

And what does bulky frontline infantry mean? There is no charging headlong into enemy in this game (unless maybe you are a max) even with an activated Overshield, you will be shredded. The HA needs to manoeuvre and flank to survive just like everyone else. If you cannot use the Overshield in a reactive fashion what use is left for it? Strafing round corners?

Next issue is that lag already means there is a delay before the shield activates. Add an additional delay and the Heavy will be dead.

The movement penalty alone is a significant penalty for the Overshield. Too much in my opinion. I have yet to see a single bit of evidence to suggest that the Heavy is OP other than the fact that they are popular. And if you think popularity is a justification for a nerf then I expect to see you requesting NC faction nerfs some time soon.
  13. Hiding in VR

The Overshield needs a buff not a nerf. Remove the movement penalty.
    • Up x 1
  14. SinerAthin

Someone give this wise man a medal.
  15. DashRendar

I agree the Resist shield is fine where it is, if anything it needs a small buff. I've been thinking it would be neat if in addition to adding this ramp up time to the HP based shields that they should get some potentially longer lasting effects. I also thought that maybe either a Medic or Engi could charge the shield while it's under fire. Maybe not fast enough to outrepair incoming damage, but would keep the HA from having to retreat behind cover in a long range standoff where only a handful of bullets every few seconds are landing.
  16. UberBonisseur

There are head to head gunfights though and many situations of 1v1 fire exchange.

The intended effect of the "nerf" is to make sure the HA can't just press his shield after being caught off guard and still win thanks to pure bullet-sponginess. We're mainly talking about a rebalancing against LA and Infiltrator.

It all comes down to implementation.
    And as far as I know, it's not a delay, it's a ramp up which is mechanically different.

I agree though that if this nerf hits, the combat medic will probably be the most powerful 1v1 infantry class which is not their intended role, something that has been a problem in many games in the past.
  17. Variden

Blame the thoroughly unprofessional developer that decided to use/adopt the terminology of the usual forumside whiners. For the life of me, I don't believe that I've ever seen a dev from any other game decide to use the term "I-WIN" to describe something they themselves implemented and ignored for more than a year.

Oh, so now its an I-WIN- button? Why take so long to address such an obvious discrepancy Mr.dev?

Or, is it the forumside whiners, (most of which are Light Infantry mad cause they can instagib a heavy head on), that persuaded you to address this "issue" ?

Video game forums, useless, as they are lethal to game development.
  18. Eugenitor

Get rid of the ridiculous jetpack sound and make the Infil actually stealthy and voila, balance!
  19. Rift23

I run straight forward, die and I don't get a kill cam. I spray bullets at shielded heavy's chest and he doesn't die. Dis game is teh gey and Imma go back to CoD.
  20. Posse

FTFY ;)