[Suggestion] Light Assault Specialty Weapons

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Tycon, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Tycon

I know this has been said time and again but I feel its beneficial to not only give some reoccurring ideas but also to add game flare. I hear of talk about dual pistols which is cool i suppose but some really missed weapons would be great addtions to the game.

NS- Punisher
    The original Swiss army knife weapon, its a common pool LA only carbine with good stats comparable to most other carbines but also with grenade attachments.

The NS- Rocklet Rifle - A 6 barrel mini rocket launch that shoots either semi auto or burst fire with a short delay at first. They are essentially more strait shot unbarrel grenade launcher grenades.

The NS-Thumper Grenade Launcher - Selected using Fragmentation , plasma (heavy dot) and maybe smoke or flash grenades (or new emp grenades as old emps grenades are gone), this would bring an advantage and role to play for the mobile class to clear hallways and door ways raining hell form above.

NS-Scorpion Javelin missile - Pretty cool and fun to aim, this as a tool slot with no vehicle damage but used to deny an area or attack a doorway would help LA have a place in large battles

Tool - The Laze Pointer Laser Spotter
    While having an actual flail artillery piece would be great even if it were underpowered on launch having a laser point that marks a location and shows the arc tanks should shoot at and libs to bomb would be great

NS-Dragon Flamethrower - they used to be in the game on maxs but were removed, a great addition to close quarters combat

Command Uplink Device - Simple functions with ammo such as the old fashion emp from planetside 1 only on this device in a small area or a very miniature cr 4 orbital strike with a cool down or cert would be great for squad leaders who are already placing squad beacons on cliffs as LA

(more experiment)
    Radiator - Area of denial aoe weapon

Maelstrom Ancient Assault rifle - While it should probably be the vanu variant, perhaps a NS version would be OK. Mini grenades and a chain effect at short range make it a good versatile weapon for Light assults
    • Up x 2
  2. Bankrotas

Why NS? Also there were rumours of new weapon type, which would fill role between SMG and Carbine range, which would be perfect for light assault.
  3. Malcmodnar

I feel like I've seen a few of those before...
    *cough cough https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...n-la-tools-that-i-doubt-will-be-added.177779/ cough*

Oh well. Imitation is the finest form of flattery. I've got a few concerns about these, namely the overwhelming focus on NS rather than empire-specific goodies. While I understand that ES equipment is more difficult to implement, making everything NS just makes the game bland.

A lot of these would not end well; they'd just be brokenly overpowered. Giving anyone a weapon that is simply superior to other options is a mistake. While our carbines aren't great, releasing a flat-out better one would end badly. The Maelstrom Rocket Rifle, meanwhile, would be an absolute nightmare. Giving any class a rapid-fire, area-of-effect explosive death machine is a Bad Idea, doubly so for a class that's so ambush focused. While I'm all for bringing the Light Assault up to par, this would be overkill. The Scorpion would have the same problem, in that I don't see how this wouldn't be abused for easy, wide-area kills. Plus, a single-shot weapon would be nearly worthless for continuous suppression.

While giving Light Assaults a variable, area-of-effect weapon system may be what we need, giving it killing capacity would only get us nerfed into the ground shortly after. No player should be able to grind through a mob of enemies without a combination of luck, skill, and proper planning. A grenade launcher that can kill people would be broken, but one that can provide utility and targeted disruption would work well... though again, an accurate, high rate-of-fire delivery system may still be a problem.

As for the "Laze," I made my arguments for such a device somewhere around here.

A flamethrower could be useful, but I don't see how it would really work. A Light Assault's greatest advantage is mobility, but a flamethrower is generally more of a suppression and advance weapon. While it could work well for disrupting defenses, I'm not sure it'd be suited to a mobile playstyle. Probably best left to the MAXes... assuming they ever get it.

The Command Uplink... I don't really know what your goal with this one was. Miniature orbital strikes? Ammo deployement? Sounds like a very easily abused system, that definitely shouldn't be carried by only one class. It'd lessen the need for proper support for teams (engineers for ammo, air or vehicle support to bring coordinated firepower, etc.), which means less need for cooperation and teamwork to be effective... meaning more mindless zerging. This just shouldn't exist, and certainly not as anything tied to one class.

All of these have the same basic problem: they'll let whoever has them mow down large groups of enemies in a very short amount of time. Imagine every time you've been bombed by swarms of liberators, or tanks, or that one fight where the enemy left mines everywhere (you know exactly what I'm talking about). Remember how frustrating it was to get blown to bits before you could do anything? Now imagine that everywhere, in every base, all the time.

That's the problem with Light Assault balance. We're supposed to be good at killing and causing chaos, but so many balance ideas (everything from grenade launchers to dual wielding) focus on letting us kill more. We do not need more killing power. If Light Assault is the best at killing everything, then everyone will play Light Assault. That's not balance. So many ideas skip over the other half of Light Assault's specialty: disrupting the enemy. We need tools that, if used when we get behind enemy lines, will let us throw our opponents into disarray without simply slaughtering them. Give us the tools to disrupt, to weaken, and to confuse our enemies, and we can be effective without being overpowered.

As Sun Tzu said "What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy." That is where Light Assault can excel, and that is what every single "let me kill fifty enemies with little risk" idea is missing. If we want LA to be truly effective in any sizable engagement, we need to realize this. We don't need more explosives, we don't need better weapons, we don't need to fight harder. We need to fight smarter.
  4. Tycon

I didn't intend to copy your post, o_O all of my suggestions are direct weapon ports from planetside 1. I'm sorry but I didn't notice your post in particular but I vaguely remember seeing it among others, I'm glad you had similar ideas. Planetside 1 made great use of them and bringing at least a few over would be great, I'm sure the chaingun, jackhammer and lasher ports were quite successful as I love the lasher. All the suggested guns were common pool and would thus be NS.

Also I agree raw aoe killing power isn't where the Light assault should be but things like emp grenades and damage over time based plasma nades are utility tools that the LA needs very badly, as of right now while jump jets are cool, heavy assaults are almost always a better pick with the lack of utility. Making the aoe area of denial by slow projectiles and damage over time damage would give the LA niche rolls without making them killing machines. Playing smart is one thing but playing smart as a strait up inferior class doesn't sound like a smart option XD.
  5. Malcmodnar

No problem. Glad to see people are at least thinking along the same lines I am. I may not be as crazy as I thought! ;)

I (and, I suspect, most other dedicated Light Assault players) agree that LA is often an inferior choice. We lack the firepower, durability, and utility of other classes, and our one specialty (the jetpack) is highly situational and none too spectacular when it works. However, like I said, I doubt that giving us more explosives will help.

I don't see how AoE denial weapons would work. Maybe some kind of nanite cloud that does moderate damage to anything in the area (like the Spitter from Left 4 Dead 2)? I'd like to hear what you had in mind.
  6. starlinvf

I call BS on this, if only for the fact that C4 paired with the jetpack is insanely powerful in urban environments, and that they are equal to Engineers in open ground combat. The only reason it doesn't feel spectacular is because there is no real risk involved when you control the high ground like that. When exposed, LAs feel underpowered because that security blanket gets pulled out from under them. If you think about it, the jet pack is the single most versatile utility in the game..... it has no hard counters, there isn't even tools to help reach them outside of another jet pack, and it bypasses a lot of defensive positions and tools (like mines). Giving them C4 was perhaps the single biggest mistake in game balance, but also the main reason so much interest is generated for the class.

Without C4, they lose the ability to take out big targets near instantaneously, but I don't consider that a bad thing. Giving them a Rocketlet Rifle as a primary, with kinetic projectiles, for AV work could then be used to give that power back in a different, more controllable form.
  7. bonkfire

OK. Heavy's are not supposed to be the primary class for fighting. All the LMG were supposed to be for support, Meaning squad automatic weapons for fire support. Carbines and assault rifles are supposed to be the main weapons in a squad.

OK. Rage aside. I love LA but We cant have dual wielding. 2 TR repeaters or two NC burst fire pistols. Or 2 of either revolver is stupidly overpowered.

We need a gun that works well while in the air. One we can use with jump jets.