Why did Liberators need an anti-tank buff?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RandomPostGuy, Mar 14, 2014.

1. lothbrook

Higby should note the most common liberator pilot getting shot down by a tank is a moron.
    • Up x 2
  2. SNAFUS

Perfectly balanced as only Composite armor gives them this advantage now. But for them to acquire that said advantage they will have to forfeit auto repair which is a massive hit. This game is currently broken on many fronts but one of them is forcing aircraft to fly within 300 meters of ground targets to even hope to see infantry. I'm sorry tankers but this is a very fair and balanced change which really is a side grade for the libs over all survivability.
  3. lothbrook

This is actually wrong, before it took 2 Titan APs to down a base liberator, it would burn to death before the next round could even be loaded, now it does not burn after 2 and can fly away this is a base liberator, composite armor takes 4, and with fire suppression a liberator with composite armor can take 5, yes, 5 Titan AP rounds before it dies.
    • Up x 1
  4. deggy

You don't have to fly within 300 meters to kill a tank, which is what this discussion is about.
  5. SNAFUS

I'm sorry maybe you should pull a skyguard or have air support and actually use hard counters to take out the lib. One of the other large problems other than excessive flak that made libing a large battle incredibly dangerous was the risk of having multiple tankers perched up or simply elevated firing on Libs trying to render ground forces. This was a massive oversight as the poor performance of the game forces aircraft that want to actually engage all ground forces to drop within at least 300 meters but usually closer allowing all those tankers to enjoy the turkey shoot. This was a good change and to be honest the composite armor is still not really good enough as it leaves multiple other damage sources to have full effect and the lack of auto repair will be the end for many.
  6. SNAFUS

The vast majority of fights that allowed a tank and lib to fire on one another were when a Lib was engaging other ground forces. If a lib is simply wanting to solo a lone tank then no amount of armor or lack there of will change the fact he can sit above you and take you down with his gunner. The fact of the matter is many tankers who get hits on libs are doing so when Libs are doing ground runs in the surrounding area. And I'm pretty sure the OP said "why did the Libs need a anti tank buff", so not sure how I deviated from that path to you?
  7. lothbrook

lol, how is it a good change, why is it ok for tanks to die instantly to mines, rear shots from almost anything that damages tanks, C4, ect... but libs which much much faster and can be completely immune to tank fire if they act like a bomber instead of a fighter dive bomber. A liberator can now literally hover 10m off the ground and destroy an MBT to its front with just the tank buster.

Instead they should have enticed liberators to fly upright and at higher elevations with lock-on and ESF protections, not make them even more dominate against tanks.
  8. dstock

See, this is the problem.

If you spend enough time in a Lib, you will get shot down by tanks. ****, I got shot down (I was gunning, don't blame me) last night by a Mana AV (lol) because my pilot took the egress angle directly above the tank we were engaging, we took a full Saron, FPC, and then got binked by the AV turret. My fault, I saw him (magrider) trying to nose up and figured he'd die before he got the shot.

Sorry, anecdotes aside, the problem is that no one is telling the players who don't know better, the people that aren't experienced Lib players, how risky going down is. We got an easy fix. I would have rather seen a message that says, "Attn: You were in a plane, you died to a tank. Evaluate your situation before diving," or something similar. This is another hackjob fix, imo.
  9. lothbrook

Usually when i start diving its cause i've got all my resources back and feel safe to play dangerously, like i posted a bit earlier about how i was in a lib for like an hour where basically an all ground attack from the Vanu were pushing into an amp station, i just stayed 400m+ high to avoid lock ons, this is also the range where skyguards direct damage drops by 50 damage, and the spread on flak gets pretty crazy at these ranges as well, and just hovered there. Must have killed 2 dozen vehicles and i think 3 scythes, about 4-5 were skyguards, then i saw a single magrider, well i thought it was a single magrider dive bombed him with the TB, then saw the 2 sundies, another mag and a viper lightning, all of them opened fire on me and hit me, i nosed up and my gunner finished the magrider in a second or 2 and i just barely didn't make it over the hill before the baslisks got me, lol.

Its just insane taking a full viper and saron mag on top of a Magrider round and still having enough health to almost fly away with a couple basilisks shooting at me.
  10. Klypto

This is entirely false. Less than 4% of liberator deaths are due to tanks according to the API.
    • Up x 2
  11. PKfire

Tankers can sit around and chant about how only bad players die to tanks, but that's about as true as 'only bads die to the Dalton'. We know better.
    • Up x 1
  12. Flag

You know what you did wrong? You flew too low, considering the situation.
    Nowhere does it say that it's the right of a liberator to be able to do low passes, regardless of the situation.
    Before, that meant you got high-altitude bombings or have other forces go in first and deal with things like tanks and skyguards.
    In other words, part of the reason to why some libs got shot down to begin with was arrogance in their abilities or supposed abilities.

The problem of the player is not unique to the Lib, far from it, but this serves as a practical example.

Am I calling you a bad player? Nope, but I am saying you may have the wrong idea of what you should be able to do with your gunship.

To be fair, libs that chose to go low enough for tanks, especially the mag to hit them deserve all the damage they get.
  13. evansra

My guess would be because tanks ap rounds are not made for AA work and was too easy.
    • Up x 1
  14. Latrodectus

Man I shudder to think how much I've contributed to that stat.
  15. Sledginius

Bad way to force tankers to get rid of their ALWAYS AV/AV loadout and get a Walker or Ranger
  16. Frozen-K

It's still not going to get us to change loadouts when the secondary AA weapons on tanks are hilariously ineffective. Especially now when a liberator can soak a skyguard's flak and kill them twice over.

Honestly at this point, I'm considering flying my liberator more often.
  17. deggy

I'm not allowed to run without a Saron or Halberd.

I'll lose a hit-trade with an AP Lightning if I don't have an AV top gunner.
  18. Flag

I hear you.
    So far I've pulled one magrider since the patch. And piloted about 15 libs.
  19. Frozen-K

Liberatorside 2 is sure fun, eh. I haven't played much since a couple days ago where the tanks I pulled got promptly murdered by liberators that even AA couldn't save me from. Only option now is to travel with zergs and hope they carry lots of AA, or pilot your own lib.
  20. Flag

Well, between the (over-zealous) changes to composite, along with all the small (and sometimes large) things from before, yeah. There's not much room for MBTs outside of the blob.