So they nerfed assist XP in vehicles pretty hard.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by lothbrook, Mar 13, 2014.

1. PrimePriest

• Up x 1
  2. Robertooooo

Counterstrike also have a goal: to win the match. What goals do PS2 have? Capturing worthless territory without even the possibility of victory.
  3. Sledginius

I like how understand my post, delete that understanding and talk about something i didn´t meant for the second time. Quit wasting my time
  4. AssaultPig

the problem isn't between gunners and pilots in the same vehicle; I actually like the changes they made with in-vehicle exp sharing. The problem is that exp for assisting on a vehicle you (or your gunner) don't kill.

The weird thing about this change to me is that way back at launch assist exp was much lower, and they wound up increasing it to the current levels because AV felt so unrewarding.
  5. AssaultPig

I mean, I guess they wanted to 'fix' the 'problem' of a guy all firing a rocket at a sunderer and getting 250exp for a minimal contribution to its death. But it seems like they really went off the deep end with the reduction rather than try a more elegant solution.
    • Up x 2
  6. lothbrook

Its not like 250 exp is a lot, its 1 cert, i can walk around the corner with a pump action shotgun and drop 2 people instantly and get more than that.
  7. Kimgibbler

The disappointing reality is that people in this game need an actual incentive to do smart stuff. The incentive has for a while been "decent xp" but this has now changed for the worse. Bursters give crap XP without getting the kill. Skyguard the exact same but maybe worse because you're basically locked into the AA role. G2A rockets give crap for XP. AV-specific MAX is crap for XP. There used to be decent assist XP for doing what you're supposed to do but we've returned to it being more lucrative to farm infantry than help address the tanks farming you.
  8. AssaultPig

shocking, people respond to incentives

it isn't just about farming certs per se; tooling around in a skyguard or a burster max isn't necessarily the most engaging task in the world. Sometimes there are few enemy aircraft, sometimes they're smart and run away, etc., and your ability to do anything that isn't AA is severely compromised (to a lesser extent, this is true of AV weapons.) Part of the reason rewards for AA and AV were increased originally is that somebody needs to do those tasks, but it sucks if doing those tasks feels like just a job that an unlucky someone has to do while everybody else has fun. Thus, increased rewards.

I'm not too worried about the AV changes because shooting tanks is pretty entertaining for its own sake, but going back to a time when AA was super un-rewarding doesn't seem great.
  9. Mostadio

Absolutely. AA duty is something I like to do because so few others perform it. It's one of those things that's only needed a fraction of the time, but when it's absent and air is present, your faction really feels the pain. Also, the feast or famine aspect was alleviated by the fact that every target you are able to engage showers you with xp for a kill and even assists gave a worthwhile return. For the longest time it was the only role in the game that simultaneously awarded the player a consistent 25k xp/h, perform a critical duty for the faction, and allow the player to eat food between bursts of flak. I can't tell you how many reavers I've downed while having spaghetti sauce dripping from my chin.

At this point, however, spraying an ESF with flak to the point it starts smoking/flaming and having a mouthbreathing HA with lockon finish the job rewards the dedicated AA player with a paltry sum of assist xp. I'd be better off parking on a hill with a viper or HEAT cannon and gobbling up infantry kills. But I simply don't find that as fun or engaging as trying to down a maneuvering ESF, dueling a lib, or running for my life to evade a racer 3 AP prowler.
  10. deggy

I got 43 XP for a Vanguard Kill Assist today.

43. Measly. XP.

Seriously, I took out more than half the health of a MAIN BATTLE TANK. I broke its Shield with shots to its rear. Then a Heavy fires a rocket at the right time and I get 43 XP instead of 400+Kills.
  11. Schwak

Dunked a sundie earlier and a friendly picked it off while it was on fire. I got somewhere between 200-300 xp combined with my gunner assist xp and mine. Before the patch I would have gotten 600 xp for a crit assist.
  12. lothbrook

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if besides the total reduction in assist experience, its counting damage done over the lifetime of a vehicle, meaning if that tank has been around for a long time and has been repaired to full health repeatedly, that the one fight it dies in the assisting killers might only register as like 5%, i know i've been killed from full health before by 1 source and on my death screen it said they only did a tiny percentage of damage to me, lol.

Gotta remember not only will SOE implement terrible changes, they'll implement them sloppily.
  13. Slandebande

Indeed, and it seems the gunner assists are still quite bugged at times. We are still often getting gunner assists from one another, at times where the other person doesn't even get an assist. Something is SERIOUSLY broken with that one. Oh yeah, and I've gotten Gunner Liberator Kill Assist when my gunner was using a PPA, like WTF!
  14. Aelyn

I don't understand how or even if they reasoned when they implemented this change. Yesterday I encountered a deployed Sunderer that 1. no one was repairing, and 2. was at or very close to full health. So I put 5 or 6 AP shells into it with my prowler. I'm not a 100% on the numbers, but I'm guessing that would get the Sunderer down to a bit below half health or right before it's set on fire. And someone else was also shooting at it (lightning or whatever, can't remember), and they got the kill. What did I get? 100 XP. With booster activated. Had I waited a few seconds until it was set on fire by the other guy, I could have held back my shots (this is very bad for team play), I could have gotten the killing shot and received 800-900 points instead. What a load of bullsh*t.
  15. AssaultPig

If 'too much vehicle exp' was a concern, a better approach imo would've been to reduce vehicle kill exp and leave assists as they were.
  16. Brainkrieg

Out of all the bugs, performance problems, and balance issues in this game, they actually spent time redoing the assist xp system. Really?
    And it mysteriously went missing from the live patch notes. OK.