Is this FPS too hardcore and should higher lvls be given a handicap?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by wave, Mar 13, 2014.

1. zSkunk

Wall of text as I need to let you know why players quit.

Beginners will give up no matter the handicap, the game is / has been broken since beta for most of them.
    Now I have to introduce myself or you will be mistaken me, I ve been playing FPS games for more than 15 years I can say I m top of the line. Meaning I got sick aim, movement, having constantly 3 steps ahead my opponents etc... I could go on and on and explain but I know you don't give a f*ck about the details.

For players like myself, that is playing infantry 90% of the time, the game doesn't give you enough reason to play as it is more frustrating than anything. Got a couple of friends to try it, they all came to the same conclusion.

It is, simply put, a mess.
    The netcode/server is hilarious when there's a big population in an area, but still acceptable and isn't my biggest concern.
    In the peak hours, but not only, the amount of tanks/aircrafts is staggering, infantry players are there to feed the other's.
    Don't get me wrong I enjoy and welcome them, as it breaks positions and dynamic of the infantry lines which is,I think, essential in the game.
    Performance issues are for real, experienced players can't stand freezed frames, poor fps with high end PC's, beginners are not likely gonna stick with it either.

Well I had a lot of things to write down but it may get confusing so I'll keep it short.

If a good player doesn't have a lot of options to enjoy the game / is feeling powerless, imagine the beginner for a second.
    Not only he would have to train, he would have to do it with the constant frustration of examples said aboves.
    Only then to realize he might as well be playing the game for 5 years, there is nothing he can do or progress to supress it.

I took a long break 2 mounths after PS2 release (was 1st on Mallory server without knowing it, non membership) and came back from time to time. The game still has the same core problems.
  2. GoyoElGringo

derp my bad. Yes, I think that's a good idea.
  3. Surmise

Anyone ever tried beating main campaign ladder in ut2004 while playing on Godlike difficulty, especially on modes like ONS,BR and CTF?

I was and still getting my teeth handed to me against Godlike bots lol, those were the games, all skill and no bs.

But for planetside, i would say its relatively solid at best objectively looking but great when compared to other fps games at the moment, especially against 'tactical fps' games of bf type.
  4. Eugenitor

I wasn't aware it was even possible to beat Godlike bots. I thought that was just some kind of joke the devs put in- "here, think you're good? Play against these instahit aimbots that will kill you with lightning gun on the same frame you're in view"
  5. umbrellapower

Skill gap in PS2 is already far too compressed for PS2 to be considered "hardcore", this game might be the most casual FPS I've ever played. Any problem of a noob being killed by an experienced one can be solved by the noob using the appropriate tactic, from rocket primary, shotguns, MAX suit, or Viper Lightning.

Even ignoring the wide variety of ways you can cheese people to death, basic gun-on-gun infantry combat is severely dumbed down. Weapons have far too low levels of recoil, making drawn out fights more of a CoF handling simulator and making aim and weapon control less important. Instead of allowing accuracy be determined by a player's ability to burst fire or control recoil patterns, players control accuracy by handling a random cone where bullets can go.

In most fights that occur on the ground between two average PS2 players, both players miss their first initial shots, begin madly sweeping their crosshair over their enemy, landing shots occasionally while holding down M1, and someone ends up with a kill. There's no punishment of bad initial aim, making spray and pray literally the entire infantry meta except there's less praying due to lack of recoil. Of course, this is endemic to ADS-type games, so it's not really like Higby is doing this on purpose. Although SOE seems to have realized their target demographic which is why one of the most recent automatic weapons, the NS-7 PDW, has literally almost no recoil at all.

You can spend 100 days of playing PS2, rack up a 3.0+ KDR and still be an awful FPS player by actual standards. Of course, if you're playing PS2 to find a satisfying competitive FPS experience, you're doing it wrong. Very wrong.
  6. andy_m

LOL, I remember those days...

I never did get into deathmatch type games. I enjoyed CS 1.6 for a time but real life took centre stage and I gave up FPS games.

Some mates then got me into BF3 and I seriously struggled. I gave up on front line stuff and played mainly supporting roles.

Then I discovered PS2. Yes, it was hard going, as a noob, but that was mainly getting used to the scale of the game, and learning about all the various aspects of bases, roles, vehicles and what have you.

But at no point did I ever consider going back to BF3.

It takes a while, but I found it easier to find a niche in PS2.

At no time have I ever found this game to be hardcore as such. Hard, yes, but with safe areas, where you can catch your breath and consider your options, it is, from my perspective, easier than the other FPS game I have played.

Just thought I'd share...