Helping to debug in game VOIP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Frostbitten

Frostbitten, Cobalt, issues occur randomly

After leaving squad/platoon I still hear people speaking and voice packs mute/start playing back randomly

One thing was interesting though: In bio lab teleport room voice pack stopped working but also teleport too. After some time I managed to get through the teleport with loading screen and voice pack started working again.
  2. Aeflic

Name - Aeflic
    Server - Waterson
    Time - Whenever I DC from the game and re log my comms are completely dead 50/50.

Other times they just go out sometimes I wont have squad comms but ill have platoon. Or I will lose squad platoon and outfit but have prox.
  3. Talthos

Name: Taltharius
    Server: Connery
    Issue type: Voice chat cuts in and out with a "predictable" pattern.
    Time: Somewhere between 9:00 PM and 12:00 AM PST on March 11th - 12th

I noticed that my voice comms would seem to break more quickly if I alt-tabbed out of game while it was still working. Final resolution that fixed it for the rest of the session involved disabling the "Enable Voice" checkbox, setting Microphone and Output to "No Device", turning off in game audio, then alt-tabbing and disabling the appropriate sound devices the game uses for voice and output.

OS is "Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version Service Pack 1", primary audio output is "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC", primary microphone device is "SteelSeries Diablo III Headset".
  4. Kumaro

• Silvir118
    • Woodman
    • In game VOIP completley unresponsive no signs of when people or I talked, no sound sending or recieving. (audio chat settings and tests checked out fine tough)
    • Several days possibly i mostly use Teamspeak but i discovered it on 02/12/2014 01:20 PM (luckily i was in SOE support at the time so dating discovery is quite sharp at least) Started working again around 02/15/2014 when i logged on.
  5. Colonelveers12

Name-colonelveers12
    Server-Waterson
    Time-A few days ago

I had seen this bug once before, and only once. But basically all of the names that pop up whenever someone speaks would be very very buggy. Other commanders talking in leader chat would appear as a squad member who apparently had the squad leader symbol next to their name even though that person was none of the above. While it was annoying it was pretty funny to watch. I recently saw it earlier this week after about four months of never hearing about it from another person. Then two days ago another one of my outfitmates had this same issue. Doing the regular disable reenable voice did not work. Only way I have dealt with it was relogging.

But as someone stated above, alt tabing a lot, say if you're listening to music on YouTube, will bring down comms very quickly, and this too I only seem to be able to fix by relogging. I am really happy that SOE is taking a serious stance on the VOIP comms, but it seem that every time you try and help they go down. The last time they went down, they went down hard. Almost everyone I know on Waterson could not use most of the voice comms for about two-three weeks, and only in the past week have they become bug free.
    -Veers
  6. Clexis

Name: Clexis
    Server: Waterson

My comms cut in and out all of the time. Usually happens when there is a large amount of players in the area. I can usually fix it by disabling and then reenabling my comms, I usually have to do this multiple times during a play session. I can also try to switch continents, that works sometimes. What happened tonight was a new one though. I lost squad, platoon, and outfit comms about three minutes into my session. I never lost the use of proxy the entire time. Disable/reenable did nothing. I finally said screw it and logged.
  7. Godsmangamer

This happens to me a as well I will leave a platoon and there comms are playing in my ears.
    I also always seem to have more problems the more channels I have open. So I have consistently kept my total channels low and never ever certed into command chat.
  8. Octiceps

Yeah you and I are definitely not alone in seeing this. Many people who I've talked to in-game have confirmed that this bug has been around for quite some time.
    • Up x 1
  9. K_Reed

Name: Kentreed
    Server: Connery
    Time: 3/13/14 ~3:00AM EDT

I was SL of bravo squad(also the only member), moved to alpha by the platoon lead and then made SL and PL of alpha. Upon becoming PL/SL my squad voip bugged out(I could not hear others and they could not hear me. my squad voip indicator was not showing), but I could still speak in platoon. No one could hear me in platoon. Turning voice on/off fixed the issue.
  10. gigastar

1. Dualstar
    2. Ceres
    3. All channels non functional, not recieving and (as far as i was aware, because people were not responding to my screaming at them) not transmitting.
    4. March 14th, between 9:00pm-9:30pm GMT
    Other note: Seems to occur most frequently when in high activity areas.
  11. zukhov

Zukhov
    Miller

Voice chat cuts out at random times, usually returns after a few mins but can cut out altogether including not being able to hear anyone else.

This can happen at any time of day.
  12. Hasteras

Hasteras
    Mattherson
    Joined up with my outfits' platoon at 8pm central tonight, was in alpha squad, couldn't hear or be heard in squad comms the whole night. I could hear platoon chat, didn't try broadcasting in it.
    8pm CDT
  13. InsaneLinguist

Player Name: Insanelinguist
    Server: Waterson
    Issue: garbled voice, all channels except proximity down
    Time: at random since beta
  14. PWGuy93

I haven't had a good VoIP experience since GU12. Did all the steps in troubleshooting opening ports on the router, even downsized my system audio from 24bit to 8 bit based on forum recommendations - which helped a very tiny amount but the current results are the same being inconsistant VoIP. Basically I could be right next to the player and hear some of what they say and then not hear anything but see the icon showing that they are speaking. The audio has pretty much made playing in groups impossible as I can't hear call outs.

VonNuman
    Connery
    Audio from other players inconsistant, can hear them sometimes, mostly can't hear them at all
    From the time I log in through any play session since around GU12 last year.
  15. Alzir

Player Name: Alzir
    Server: Miller
    Issue: For the duration of an Alert I could not hear any platoon or squad voice chat (via text chat other's confirmed that people had been constantly talking the whole time i was in squad), and I also found myself unable to transmit to either squad or platoon. This happens often and on other servers (I'll note times etc in future now I've seen this thread), but unusually in this instance I could hear Command chat for the duration of the Alert, despite not occupying a squad or platoon lead position. Prior to the Alert I was in the lead position of a small 3 man squad but 2 of us had problems transmitting - from my point of view I could transmit one minute, but not the next, until eventually not at all. I could hear one member for the most part, but not the other (who was talking to me on TS and telling me when he was attempting to transmit) - incidentally the problem was with both squad and outfit voip (i can't remember if proximity worked). While in the smaller squad I also had no issues with hearing or transmitting via command chat.

When this occurred: between approx 7-30pm and 10pm GMT on Friday 14/3/14. Immediately before and during the Alert that evening.
  16. KO-tic

badasskicker100
    Briggs

Never got it to work, The only communication possible is teamspeak and chat
    Note : It's doesnt work on my alt either (connery and ceres)
    Playing for about an year now
    • Up x 1
  17. hehu415

Name: callmeredd
    Sever: waterson
    issue: disconnecting
    Time: every time i die.
  18. Xynxie

My coms break fairly consistently, usually in the squad lead/ platoon lead position, but I have noticed that they almost always break during alerts. That gets me thinking, why during alerts so often...? It hit me the other day, that I notice my coms usually break during continent hops for global alerts. As of late, I try not to rely on in-game voice and just use teamspeak, but before, that would usually be the case.

I hope you can get to the root of this problem, as I think the in-game com system is pretty amazing, when it works as intended. :)

-Xynxie - Mattherson
  19. RyelinePR

Name - RyelinePR
    Server - Waterson
    Time - all the time. (Known past 2-3 days)

I just got a mic and although I am able to record myself and test it whilst it displaying "no errors detected" in green, I am unable to use ANY channels. My name appears if I press the keys to the channels but that's all. I can hear others talk, but I for some reason am unable to and it is not a problem with my mic. !**** PLEASE READ****! -- I joined a squad, then left, and I could still hear them talk. Every single speech sent through that [SQUAD] channel I was receiving. Their names appeared in blue (normal team mate color as changed in settings) but not in green as it were to be if they were in my squad. I mean not to rush you guys but as long as you get the problem fixed at its best, that's what we'd all like. No acquaintances have told me that they as well have had or currently have this problem.
  20. JaL

Most broadcast VOIP programs work with a single continous connection. AKA when you connect you make a connection, when you disconnect you drop it. There should be no other connections (maybe seperation of commands and stream data etc).

I personally think the issue is either miscommunication between the voip client and PS2 client, or plain up overload of the VOIP servers at the provider.
    For me, i can sit there and press a VOIP channel over and over, and it'll activate 1/3 times some times, and 3/3 times other times.
    I haven't seen a connection between relogging and chance of VOIP channel activating.
    I have seen a connection between when it happens and how many it affects though. It is not unusual to run a platoon just fine, and then 2 hours in the VOIP channels suddenly stop working consistently (as in, no reaction when pressing key) for a handful of people.
    Woodman, EU peak hours.