Stealth in PS2 in a nutshell

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DrPapaPenguin, Mar 13, 2014.

1. DrPapaPenguin

Or rather, how all these people who whine and whine and whine about their crossbows no longer being "sneaky" pictured stealth to be:

Because I had to poke the hornet's nest again, didn't I?

[Rant] Seriously? The only stealth that PS2 had only worked UNTIL you took the shot. Because, you know, getting shot in the face is kind of a dead giveaway (See what I did there? Dead :p ?), and you don't need a deathcam to know there is an enemy sneaking about. So what exactly is different? That the enemy can see where you shot from? If you were spotted, then EVERYONE knows where you shot from, and it makes no difference if you are spotted on the map. If you didn't get spotted, and you sit in the same spot long enough for the enemy to respawn, look around for you and find you, then you are doing it horribly WRONG. You know, just, like, moving behind a different rock will do the trick, and the info he has is no longer accurate. You know, sniping 101, move after you take the shot?

And what about longer range weapons, like snuper rifles? There are things called tracers. Most people who heard of a thing called deduction will be able to work out where the shot came from, if only the basic direction. Let me demonstrate how it works:

run AveragePlayerChesterTheNCestorLogic.exe

if tracer = visible
    then Sniper position = somewhere in frontal 180°;

if tracer =! visible
    then Sniper position = somewhere in the back 180°;

run ScanLikelyCoverForDatBastard.exe

TL;DR

Deathscreen does not give any more info than what you can already gather in the game. It does not magically alert the ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM to your exact location. Players with half a battlesense will already know as much as what it gives them, and players with the other half will also know your likeliest location even if you AREN'T spotted. It's a crutch to new players, who don't know the map, and thus most of them still will have no clue where exactly you were even when shown on the damn map. And best thing is? All you need to do is move, if only behind a different rock, and that info becomes worthless anyways.

Seriously seriously, I hate what CoD has become as much as the next guy, but the info-on-killer-screen was not coined by CoD. If they planned to add martyrdom then the outrage would be more than understandable. But this? This is just ridiculous. Cancelling subs, quitting, pouring buckets of dirt over the game for consolidating the available info into an easier to use UI for newbies? In the end, they still have to find you, and kill you. The game won't help with that last one. People, get off the bandwagon, please. It ain't cool. [/rant]
    • Up x 13
  2. Flapatax

Excuse me, but if I spend 20 minutes RPing behind enemy lines I deserve to kill new, unaware players with impunity. I specifically chose sniping as my exclusive playstyle because I hate having to play with two hands all the time, this is RUINING that.
    • Up x 9
  3. Winfield

So it's alright to give baddies that information without them even trying just "because" they're bad and shouldn't get better at the game.

Nice logic bro.
    • Up x 6
  4. WyrdHarper

Feel like it's going to hurt newbies more, since they're the ones who tend to hide somewhere without moving and such.
    • Up x 4
  5. Maelthra

6. DrPapaPenguin

If they're bad then poitning them in the direction the shots came from won't suddenly make them any better, they will still be bad, and will have to use their brains to find their shooter. And if they get better, then they won't even need the system, because they can do better than what it gives them.
  7. Winfield

You missed the point by a mile.
    • Up x 2
  8. DrPapaPenguin

If you are not spotted, then the game only gives a hint and leaves the player to work out the rest. If you are spotted, then it doesn't matter because whoever spotted you is gunning for you. My point is, they still have to work to get your exact location, or they laready have it to begin with, and adding a deathscreen doesn't change that. If I still missed your point, you're gonna have to spell it out, sorry.
  9. KoS-1

The person who was killed doesn't even have to Q-spot his killer. Anyone Qed him up. Boom...line straight to them.

You can't tell if you are Q-spotted by someone.

Heck I may just go into a VS vs NC fight with my TR stealther and Q spot everyone and anyone. Lines and more lines to the killers.
    • Up x 4
  10. DrPapaPenguin

If they are spotted, then every enemy knows they are there. All the game does is say "Hey, see that guy? That's the guy who killed you. Ofc, he's taking fire from your team so he'll be either dead or long gone by the time you respawn, but hey, he was right there."
  11. KoS-1

There is a limit on the radius you show up on peoples mini-maps as spotted. I don't remember what that distance is.

So no, not everyone knows you are there or where. For example, sniping with a full stealth harasser halberd. Out of range of target's mini-map range to show up. Someone spots use from a different direction than our targets. Well, a line straight to us.

There is no need for this feature. A compromise would be turning it off after a certain level.
  12. smokemaker

Love the clip. Spot on, now thats over.

deathcam is bad, always has been, always will be...
    • Up x 3
  13. Lyrencropt

That's 20 minutes you could have just been shooting from the front line and using your cloak intelligently. The best way to snipe in this game isn't to "find a spot and be sneaky", it's to pop in and out of cloak while dancing on an airpad or a mountain ridge.
  14. Flapatax

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. Nephi1im

This may be sig worthy. I'm going to assume it is sarcastic for the sake of my faith in humanity.
    • Up x 1
  16. Flapatax

He's not wrong, the best snipers in the game are pretty aggressive. The fact that he responded to my OP sincerely, however...
    • Up x 1
  17. Kallowe

If it doesn't give any new information than why are they adding it at all?
    It does give more information though. Sometimes it's totally obvious where somebody shot you from; sometimes you just hear a ping and your dead; no indicators or nuthin. Furthermore the bad players that this is supposed to help probably wont even use it or won't use it very well. The people who will use are the veterans who just need a little more information and more importantly can actually use that information to their advantage. Bad players will still be bad.
  18. The Rogue Wolf

I wanna say that it's 50m, but I'm not entirely sure on that. But yeah, only friendlies within a certain distance away from you wil see your spot.

Also, engaging cloak removes the spot. I doubt it removes you from the death-screen map, but that's probably incentive to move.
  19. Fox234

I've gotta agree. The new screen doesn't tell me anything I can't already deduce. If I get OSK from my rear and to the right, I can look on the map and look at what is to my SE direction, and deduce where the sniper was. A good sniper doesn't stay in 1 spot, ever. You use your motion trackers and stealth to constantly move.

If I get gunned down by an Infil with an SMG the screen now already tells me what they are, and what they're using. Knowing their exact location does me no good since 1) I already knew they were there because they killed me, and 2) they're constantly on the move, so where they killed me is unimportant.
    • Up x 1
  20. KoS-1

Umm true. But infiltrators are not the only ones effected by this. Like the exampled I used, stealth on vehicles.

But again, there is no way knowing you are spotted or not. Sometimes cloaking isn't a good idea, the sound gives yourself away as well.